In 30 years on bikes I have never experienced or heard of a wobble that was not caused by some mechanical issue.

My general rule of thumb is that if I do something and the result is something I did not like, STOP DOING THAT! In this case that would mean to give some throttle and ease off more gently.

A norton commander has rubber mounts so the engine, swing arm and rear tire are one unit and the rest of the bike is another. If not adjusted properly, they will give you a tank slapper that will rip out of your hands at a certain speed.

I would check swing arm bushings, steering head settings, tire pressure and drive train mount bolts.

A couple times I got into the decel wobble (only occurs with both hands off, which as we all know is somewhat foolish) too. After lubing and snugging the steering head bearings down a little tighter I have not had it happen again. This is also with a front tire that has worn to nearly its limit (so if there's any cupping going on, it's probably now).

Bikes and sidecars nearly all have some level of steering wobble, but with mine I have almost none, so I've always thought that the Venture was pretty good for this.

My suspension system is not standard anymore, but even when it was, I had no problem.

Mind you, I hardly ever take both hands off of the bars...

Except when stationary.

But then I don't have to put my feet down, it is so steady. . .

I've never had mine shake either... when I take both hands off and place on my knees with the cruise on it's rock solid and smoooooooth.

Somethings not right on your bike.

Getting back to your question though... If it happened to me, I'd either acclerate and take the weight, off of the front

Or

I'd use the rear brake ONLY!

after having 4 ventures and well over 300k i have had several times where the wobble will happen, mostly when going into a turn at higher speeds. the best thing that i have found for a quick recovery from this concern, is to lean back and put more weight towards the back wheel while slowly letting off the throttle.

hitting the brakes will make it worse, speeding up makes it worse and slowing down quickly could kill you.

the shocks on the back of these machines can really fool you if your not familiar with them because they will still seem to be functioning ok, when all the dampening of the hydrolic part has failed, yet they seem to still have some bounce while going over the bumps. i have replaced many rear shocks on my ventures over the years after a high speed wobble reminded me that my rear shock was not doing everything that it should.

check your rear shock if your having a wobble issue. mike

On two occassions I have had the speed wobble, the first time was on a older Harley where we had replaced the original springer front end with hydraulic forks off another HD, it became a problem when crossing train tracks on the highway,the front end started to dance all over the road,slowed down and realized that the one fork tube had the proper amount of fork oil, but the other had a lot less, the fix was to drain and put the right amount in each fork tube, the second time I had bought a bike from an auction, it looked good and ran good, on the road I had gone out to pass a car an as I pulled back into my lane wow! it happened the bars where tank slapping so I held on and slowed down got back control and then drove home, put the front of the bike on a box and it was so loose that the front end would flop from side to side, so we tightened up the steering head bearings and no more problems. I would strongly advise any one who buys a used bike to check out the front end "as we did after the fact" it is a good way to prevent the dreaded speed wobble, if you check into the answer as to what to do when it happens lots of answers but not good ones, some tire manufactures suggest to get your body down low as to lower the center of gravity,Not much time to think, so hang on and pray !

As to the above note re: speed wobble, in my years of riding since I was 16 in 1956 lots of bikes and types and I would suggest that all of them have 2 ends to the handle bars, think that means keep your 2 hands on the bars or at least one,that may solve the wobble problem that some have when they ride with no hands ! just an observation..

During my day long yesterday, while riding on a rolling hilly road, i let off the throttle and went into the scary wobble that i have heard about. What is the best way to handle this scary event in the future?

I have had my Venture for 20+ years and 70+k miles.With both hands on the handlebars and tires properly inflated.... Just letting off the throttle should not cause a severe wobble. UNLESS your front steering bearings or swingarm bearings are worn out. Tightening the front steering bearings may only be a bandaid on bearings that need replacing. ALSO there are large "allen" FRAME bolts on the right side of the frame that should be loosened and retorqued per the service manual. I have seen these large allen bolts fall out. FYI- loctite is needed. How many out there have removed the swing arm and regreased the bearings? Also checking front ahd rear wheel bearings is another thing to check. Motorcycles require 5 times the maintanance hours than cars. If you want to just "handle it"...not fix it. I have found that 100mph wobbles on shaft drive bikes...lightly draggging the rear brake and lightly hold the gas "on" then gradually letting off the gas. But I have delinked brakes. Other times I have gassed it hard...also removing the wobble. But this 100mph+ is dfferent set of cirumstances that you are describing. Note : it's not hapened since my new front steering bearing have been installed @75k miles. Also you do not state how many miles on your bike. Many do not want to change out the bearings and just tighten them. It's a PIA...Lastly try setting the rear shock DAMPER adjust to #3 or #4 for best control...1 &2 are too light for even my 185# butt.

Edited by jasonm.

During my day long yesterday, while riding on a rolling hilly road, i let off the throttle and went into the scary wobble that i have heard about. What is the best way to handle this scary event in the future?

Hi Alvald,

The way I have recovered is by...

1 no front braking

2 light rear braking

3 Steady decelerating throttle. (Light throttle)

By the way, my wobble went away after the rear monoshock was replaced.

Before that, I had tried everything else.

JohnB

Al,

I know you have a First Gen, so all the suggestions to apply the rear brake to get out of a wobble don't apply, 'cause of course you would apply the front brake as well with the linked brakes on a First Gen. The only time I have encountered a wobble when decelerating on my Ventures was when I removed my hands from the handlebars and as the bike slowed to about 35-40 mph it might start wobbling. If the front tire was near new, I would tighten the steering neck bearings. If the front tire was worn, I would just not let go of the 'bars while decelerating, until I replaced the front tire. You don't say, but did you experience the wobble while decelerating with your hands off the bars? If so, don't worry about it and don't remove your hands from the bars while decelerating. If the wobble occurred while decelerating while holding firmly to the handlebars, that is a different kettle of fish, and I suggest you investigate the front fork oil level and condition, front springs loft and pre-load, front and rear tire condition and inflation, rear suspension pivot lube and condition, rear shock absorber dampening. You have mentioned in the past that your rear shock leaked air; a rear shock on a First Gen with no air may cause the rear to sag and increase the front end steering rake. Ordinarily, increased rake will actually stabilize the front end, but who knows, with our old bikes. Conversely, sagging front springs can decrease the rake and cause instability, especially as the front end of the bikes sinks even lower as you decelerate.

Condor is gettingready to do another batch of braces I think.

Already in. Check the 1stGen parts classified for all the info.... Generally the wobble or shake comes from the forks responding at different rates. This generally can be caused by tired springs. The fork brace will get them working together, but in the end run Progressives will make things much better....

Back in 1985 I took spin out on a clear highway, on a V-Max. I was shocked to noticed that in no time I was doing about 110-120mph, I let off the throttle quickly, putting me into a high speed wobble; it scared the crap out of me. Luckily, no one was no other vehicles around so I slowly increased the speed to get out of it; then I slowly reduced my speed with no problem. What a rush; never again did I ask to ride it.

I have never had a problem with the Venture but I did have it happen once on my Madura ( Suzuki's answer to the V max). I just leaned right forward as far as I could go and braced my elbows against my ribs. I let the bike coast and with my arms braced between the handle bars and my body and my weight on my arms the wobble stopped. It was rather exciting..don't want to do it again.

the shocks on the back of these machines can really fool you if your not familiar with them because they will still seem to be functioning ok, when all the dampening of the hydrolic part has failed, yet they seem to still have some bounce while going over the bumps. i have replaced many rear shocks on my ventures over the years after a high speed wobble reminded me that my rear shock was not doing everything that it should.

check your rear shock if your having a wobble issue. mike

So if the rear shock has gone south, what are our choices for a replacement?

Bill

P.S. Mike, some of us can't shift as much weight towards the rear as some others... :hihi:

But your still more fun that we can:stickpoke:

So if the rear shock has gone south, what are our choices for a replacement?

Bill

P.S. Mike, some of us can't shift as much weight towards the rear as some others... :hihi:

But your still more fun that we can:stickpoke:

the factory shock is not cost effective to rebuild because the chome wears off of the shaft where the seal rides and causes the failure.

as far as i have been able to find, the stock shock is the only choice that gives you quick adjustability with air over oil.

I know there are a few aftermarket shocks out there but none of them have the quick adjustment features of the stock shock.

as for the weight distribution concerns that you have...bill.... you keep up the campfire cooking and i will keep up my end of the deal:buttkick::fatsmiley: mike.