IGNORED

Computer help formatting WD 2Tb caviar green

dingy

I have a new WD 2Tb caviar green sata drive that I can not get to format.

I am running a clean new install of Windows 7 on a SATA drive using a slightly old MB, ASUS AV8 deluxe, 2.5 g ram AMD processor, 9800 ATI AGP video. 64 bit

I have tried Windows format with no discernable progress.

I have used Acronis which goes to 3 of 3 - Creating partition then has no progress.

Any suggestions.

I do see the drive in Windows Manage - Disk Management screen

Also having issue getting VIA SATA driver to run on 7. MB has 3 IDE inputs & 4 SATA. Also have an add in card with 2 more SATA & 1 more IDE input.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Guest tx2sturgis

Quick Format, a few minutes, should be under a half hour at most.

Full Format, possibly overnight...several hours anyway.

Let it run for a while and see if it makes any progress in say, 2 hours.

I'm not a windows guy so maybe someone else will have some more ideas.

I am thinking your motherboard wont handle the large drive, so you may have to use a partioning program to break it into a couple of drives. I use a program called delpart to remove any formatting that may be on the drive from the factory. Then you may be able to run a partitioning program like acronis or fdisk to create your partition sizes.

http://www.upgradenrepair.com/Downloads/delpart/delpart.htm

Brian

I just looked up the specs for your motherboard and its a 2004 model, so I think you ll have issues with anything getting close to 1tb, so youll need at least 2 partitions, maybe more.

Edited by friesman

My best recommendation is if you can't get Windows7 to partition and format the drive, try using a server operating system (Linux) on a LiveCD. One of the easier ones to work with for people familiar with Windows is Linux Mint. Using the built in gparted program for doing a custom partition format is a bit advanced, but it's one of the better free tools that one can use. Also, with a LiveCD, you don't have to install the operating system to the hard disk. It can just run from the RAM-Disk. It won't run as well as if you instaled it to the HardDisk, but for just doing a partition/formatting, it should do the job.

Disclaimer: I've not used the new version of Linux Mint's LiveCD so I don't know if the exact steps are the same as I remember.

Edit after seeing Brian's post: He's got a point. If the motherboard isn't able to read large drives, you'll want to try his workaround. Fail in that, I hate to say it, but you might need an updated MoBo

Edited by StormRaven
Saw Brian's Post

I got one half the drive to format last night. I used WD Acronis boot software to get 1st partition done. I was able to write to drive, so it is good.

Thanks to GAWildkat & Stormraven, they got me pointed in this direction.

I have other half trying to format today, I couldn't figure out how to get boot up Acronis to do 2nd partition, so I booted into windows 7 & am trying it with standard version of Acronis.

Gary

I am running a clean new install of Windows 7 on a SATA drive using a slightly old MB, ASUS AV8 deluxe, 2.5 g ram AMD processor, 9800 ATI AGP video. 64 bit

What version of BIOS is your MB? Looks like the *newest" BIOS release is 1017 (5 Dec 05) with a BETA relase of 1018.002 in Aug 2009.

The 1017 (2005) release may NOT support the larger (> 1TB) drives...

Windows 7 "may" have a newer ACPI driver to support the drive.

What version of BIOS is your MB? Looks like the *newest" BIOS release is 1017 (5 Dec 05) with a BETA relase of 1018.002 in Aug 2009.

The 1017 (2005) release may NOT support the larger (> 1TB) drives...

Windows 7 "may" have a newer ACPI driver to support the drive.

1017 version

Would the 1018 be better?

If disk management sees drive and I was able to partition & format a 950 gig section (half of usable space) am I alright as far as MB & bios, etc.

Drive does not like quick format option, it fails very quickly with message somewhat like 'Windows cannot perform quick format on this volume'

Gary

Have to agree that it is probably your motherboard chip set that doesn't support the larger drive. You could flash the 1018 version but it might not just be the bios version that has the limitation but the actual chip set on your board.

Easiest way.... just spring for a new motherboard. Then ask Santa for :

#1 - new cpu (since new board won't support the old one)

#2 - new memory (see #1). Since you have to replace... go for at least 6gb

#3 - upgrade your video card (possibly related to #1... or since you are replacing everything else)

#4 - all the money you are spending on the internals.... can't put them in an old case !

#5 - and similarily to #4.... you'll have a fast machine with great graphics and a shiny new case.... you can't use that old monitor now can you???

#6 - better get a new chair while you are at it.... and maybe a desk.... new keyboard.... new mouse....

After all that... at least you'll be able to use the new drive !

Hope you are on "Santa's" good list !

And really.... I'm glad I could help !

I got one half the drive to format last night......

If it took that long then it still isn't right. I wouldn't rely on it.

Try the bios upgrade first. If there are still issues, then see my previous post - help out the economy (Taiwan/China) and replace the system.

(and if anyone suggest Dell because they are American.... look at their components and tell me what % is made in North America!)

One thing for sure. Your choking the drives performance since your MB was made around 05. The new drive maybe 6gbs sata or at least 3gbs and your MB will only be using about a 1/4 of the performance if that much. I don't even remember the speed of that sata that far back. I HATE WD Drives and I'll leave it at that..

ASUS used a VIA chipset in that particular board ...VIA indicates that Windows 7 has the most current drivers for that chipset.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/solved-asus-a8v-deluxe-seagate-barracuda-1-5-tb-wont-work-333432.html

This link gives some pointers on how to get > 1TB drives working on your MB...but looks to be connecting the drive to the "other" controller (RAID controller)

Have to agree that it is probably your motherboard chip set that doesn't support the larger drive. You could flash the 1018 version but it might not just be the bios version that has the limitation but the actual chip set on your board.

Easiest way.... just spring for a new motherboard. Then ask Santa for :

#1 - new cpu (since new board won't support the old one)

#2 - new memory (see #1). Since you have to replace... go for at least 6gb

#3 - upgrade your video card (possibly related to #1... or since you are replacing everything else)

#4 - all the money you are spending on the internals.... can't put them in an old case !

#5 - and similarily to #4.... you'll have a fast machine with great graphics and a shiny new case.... you can't use that old monitor now can you???

#6 - better get a new chair while you are at it.... and maybe a desk.... new keyboard.... new mouse....

After all that... at least you'll be able to use the new drive !

Hope you are on "Santa's" good list !

And really.... I'm glad I could help !

Trying not to replace whole system and haveing to get everything new. The most demanding stuff I do is CAD 3d sometimes and what I have is capable of doing that.

Actually 4 - 5 & 6 are just done.

I had a real tall tower, that I replaced with a mid size tower, trying to reduce from the 10 drives I had in the old case to the 2 Tb drive, and a few 160 gb satas. Still have an external 1tb WD drive for backups. Its on a firewire.

Have dual LCD monitors, a 21 widescreen and a 19 square.

Just got a new desk & chair, I had a high oak drafting desk I have had for ages, but I went to a standard desk and good chair to help my back. Just replaced mouse & keyboard with a Logitech wireless combo.

The wireless combo is somewhat frustrating as well. It seems the way I have it hooked up, the keyboard is not initialised at the very begining of the boot process, thus I can't hit Delete key to get into setup, well I can hit the key, just doesn't do anything. I have an old wired PS2 keyboard attached for that. Actually use 1 standard type mouse with right hand & a 3Dconnexion spaceball left handed to rotate and manipulate 3D CAD models.

Picture attached is my work setup, home is similar. This pc is a dual - hex core, 24 gig ram with 3 TB raid setup, mid range dual head graphics, Dell 5500. Some of the CAD I get into here and the Computational Flow Dynamic software will make this thing stagger.

Gary