IGNORED

1997 YZF 750R front brake question

Here is an update on mounting Radial brakes on scooter.

I have had a rapid prototype made of a bracket that I designed in Solid Edge CAD. It was made using a Dimension 3D printer which is a fused deposit process. The local high school has a machine and they made the prototype out of an ABS like material for $65 from my CAD model.

It is very close for a first try at it. I was hoping to only need one bracket that would fit both the left & right sides, but that plan isn't going to work. Bracket is symmetrical from the center line allowing it to work on either side. The rotor retaining screws are just touching bracket though. I will have to make a left and right final bracket with a relief cut to clear the rotor screws. Functional parts will be made from 6061-T6 aluminum.

I have ran FEA analysis on model and it has a 4x safety rating over anticipated rotational torque forces.

It is a close fit centering caliper over rotor. This came off a bike with 5mm rotors and the 1st gen MKII are 7mm wide. This is leaving about .020" clearance on either side of the caliper body.

I plan on refining this model a little more and getting another prototype made before moving to a machined aluminum set.

1st & 2nd pictures are CAD models, next to last picture shows rotor to caliper clearance and last picture is what caliper looked like on original mount.

:mo money:

Gary

• 2 months later...

Finally got a 2nd prototype made for the 6 pot brake conversion. Local High school made it on a 3D printer. Red was color in machine at time.

Just a little more tweaking on the model for the height of the ledge caliper bolts to, so pads will be completely on rotor. Need to drop about .06" for this.

The speedometer cable notches in left bracket need adjusted slightly.

And the holes for the caliper cap screws need to be made to through holes.

I have the aluminum plate for the final metal versions. Probably will get them machined next week.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I would think with all the thought and time he has put into this, and the excellent piece he has developed there will soon be an outpouring of people wanting to do such a safety upgrade as this.

I being unable to calculate the effective increase in stopping power without all the specs, would still think he has developed a 50% increase in stopping power. Heck, a 25% increase would make all the difference in the world to me. I've worn boot heels out trying to haul this 87 to a stop Fred Flintstone style.

• 3 weeks later...