IGNORED

Rear Shock replacement - any words of advice?

Before my long trip in april, i am considering replacing my rear shock. Has anyone done this? Do they make a good aftermarket shock. I dont really need an adjustable one, just something that i know wont fail during my long trip. (i started reading about the broken frame issue, and think a new shock might help, since my frame doesnt have a rust issue.). Is there a way to see if my shock is working properly? In the past i have increased the air pressure in the rear shock, just to see it go back to its original pressure and height days later. My bike is not a Royale.

I just want some imput, because i know that these are very pricey.

Progressive makes a rear shock for the 1st gen Venture if I'm not mistaken. As far as changing it, it's pretty strait forward. You can actually change it using just the center stand. If you remove the front wheel and let the bike tip down on the bottom of the front forks it will bring the rear of the bike up plenty high enough to remove the rear wheel for access to the shock. If you use this method make sure that you take a ratchet strap and pull the center stand forward so it can't fold backwards. If you need any help my cell number is in my profile and I can walk you through most of it....nice looking '83 BTW.

Shock problems on a 1st gen are rare. With you having a standard without the CLASS system, I suspect you have a slow air leak and the first place I would check would be in the valve core at the fill point. I also suggest that you put a good metal cap on the valve stem that has a rubber seal in it. Also, put the setting on 4 for dampening and that will stiffen it up a little.

How are you filling the rear shock and how much pressure are you putting in it? When you check the pressure, are you using an air gauge that does not allow air leak? I have had my bike for almost 16 years and I use one of the small Harbor Freight pumps with a gauge on it and they fill slow enough that with it plugged up to my cigarette lighter receptacle and with the roller switch in the cord, I can fill it easy and have good control of the pressure. I also have a digital air gauge that looses virtually zero air when checking pressure.

Yamaha done a great job on these shocks and they are hard to beat.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

As far as the frame issue on the '83 it is a problem with the frame itself where the shock mounts, not an issue with the shock. Some of them have had the frame fixed. If it does crack you won't crash and burn, your handling will just go to pot. The swing arm is not effected so the wheel won't fall off or anything, it will just ride terrible and act like you have no rear suspension at all because for all intents and purposes you won't...

thanks, that is an important thing to know. I guess i'll leave it alone and spend my money in a different area.

If you want to do anything in that area, take the linkage apart that connects the shock to the rear end swing arm and then grease all the fittings, or even better, install zerk fittings and grease the linkage each time you change the oil.

RandyA

• 1 month later...

Trust me they do fail......

I was packing our 88 for a two up New Years Trip to Mexico.

With the bike sitting on the center stand, I turned the damping dial from two to four. Went in the house, came back out the next morning to find a 6" dia pool of gold coloured oil in front of the rear wheel.....

Skydoc has sent me a replacement shock from a 91. It is today's project.

TH

I completely killed mine, but it had been failing for a while. I was lucky to have a (fairly) local place to make one to measure at a good price.

The worst part of the job for me was the top mounting bolt. The nut head was in line with the frame, so good access was difficult without it slipping and then the bolt itself was seized in. I eventually bought a rotary hammer drill with a hilti attachment to drive the blessed thing out ! Getting the nuts and bolts back afterwards in was pretty fiddly too. (Yes, I replaced the damaged ones !)