IGNORED

1991 Mk2 VR front rotor

I owne and ride 35000km a year mostly two up, on a 08 Concours 14, but my wife received knee replacement surgery and we decided for the adventure to continue that a more comfy ride was needed, so I purchased a 1991 Venture Royale with 106000km and will receive it next week-end, I also purchase a 1983 VR, stripped the bike completely for parts(mk1 and mk2 have alot in common but some parts are different), this site is really full of great expertise and helps me plan on making my new ride as efficient possible. I will change and inspect parts defective, all fluids and grease where needed.

Based on my reading, special attention and replacement of front forks springs to progressive, new steering bearing, fork brace and my favorite 'brakes, I tried and really dont like the linked brakes system and would like to delink, plus my right rotor is fried blue and needs replacement and will upgrade to R6 Calipers witch I got a pair in the garage.

I figured finding a pair of rotor would be easy to find because on my C14 I have spare parts like, complete forks and brake parts, exhausts etc. All bought on eBay and really cheap. Surprise no front rotors and worse no new rotors, except the Chinese whom have 282mm but only 5mm thick and ???quality.

There seems no compatibility except certain early VMax or Fj, but nothing offered, those rotos are rare to say the least.

Anybody with a mk2 right rotor.

Mike

Right & left MKII front rotors can be interchanged. There is a barley noticeable difference between them from what I and others have found.

I have a front MKII rotor on the rear wheel of bike and it works fine back there also due to other slight modifications.

Gary

Of course because I paid 1500$ for the bike I refuse to pay the same amount for brakes only, but the ebc is still over 500$ for front and rear, so back to the garage, where can I get used good condition front rotors.

Or is there a different route or solution using different (but readily available) rotor and caliper.

Too bad my C14 brake and calipers won't fit

:lightbulb:

Of course because I paid 1500$ for the bike I refuse to pay the same amount for brakes only, but the ebc is still over 500$ for front and rear, so back to the garage, where can I get used good condition front rotors.

Or is there a different route or solution using different (but readily available) rotor and caliper.

Too bad my C14 brake and calipers won't fit

Earlier R1 and R6 calipers will fit the '91 MKII rotors. Any of the R calipers that are attached to the forks with horizontal bolts will work. On later R models the bolts are vertical.. FA 252 HH pads, and you're good to go. Should be a plug and play job.

Earlier R1 and R6 calipers will fit the '91 MKII rotors. Any of the R calipers that are attached to the forks with horizontal bolts will work. On later R models the bolts are vertical.. FA 252 HH pads, and you're good to go. Should be a plug and play job.

Jack,

You would have an idea of the years would you? I just swapped to the R1 on this '86 I have and the original rotors are in rough shape, I wouldn't mind finding a set of the R's on ebay if it's plug and play

Jack,

You would have an idea of the years would you? I just swapped to the R1 on this '86 I have and the original rotors are in rough shape, I wouldn't mind finding a set of the R's on ebay if it's plug and play

I just did a search for R1 Rotors and R6 rotors. Several popped up. Here's one set of fronts off a 2001. ROTORS It's the later 2003? and ups that went to the new style calipers, and I'm not sure if the rotors off them would fit??... Squeeze sent me a list of what would work for the calipers, but I ended up just looking at the way they were mounted. I used a set of blue dot R6's on a set of 89 rotors and they worked fine.

85-89 Vmax front rotors are the same as the MKII front rotors as far as diameter. They have a different cutout pattern on the flat side, more like an MKI.

Not sure about the width, but they are very close.

Bolt pattern is the same.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new bike after inspection to obtain license, and very happy to start winter overhaul.

First is, right-rear cylinder with defective coil, front fork progressive spring upgrade, Carb cleaning and inspection, and of course brake delinking and R1 caliper upgrade.

I found Fjr1300 rear rotors that could maybe replace my standard damaged front rotors and would like to know if this can work.

Changing a coil on the VR is quite a job, but with the assistance of Dingy's post on how to, the job should get done.

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the VR.ORG Forum, Those MKII VR's are a fine machine! I own a few myself.

I have the Progressive Springs, The De-Link Kit for the MKII VR, EBC HH Sintered Pads, and a set of rotors from an 89'VR in excellent condition. Unfortunately, shipping to Canada is a bit spendy, but I will do my best to combine shipping where I can.

ALL of the Late model R1/R6 rotors are too LARGE in diameter, and thin, (5mm vrs. 7mm) to fit the Venture, (282mm Vrs. 320mm)

If you are interested in these parts, let me know.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17

Finally got my new bike after inspection to obtain license, and very happy to start winter overhaul.

First is, right-rear cylinder with defective coil, front fork progressive spring upgrade, Carb cleaning and inspection, and of course brake delinking and R1 caliper upgrade.

I found Fjr1300 rear rotors that could maybe replace my standard damaged front rotors and would like to know if this can work.

Changing a coil on the VR is quite a job, but with the assistance of Dingy's post on how to, the job should get done.

yes, many Yamaha rear rotors are 282 size. Alsoo the right and left are different...that's why there are 2 different part #'s. If you need a great 282 rotor. I happen to have an EBC rotor w/less and 1000 miles on it. It does not have the same slotted design as OEM. It is simply drilled. If you do not delink the brakes this would help you. FYI- right rotor is blued because the prvious owner also did not like the linked prakes. Thuis always uling the "hand brake". And the linked system has less "feedback".

I bought 2 Fjr1300 rear rotors, I went to my Yamaha dealer and after a few measurments and discussion with owner, they seem to fit, 282mm 6 bolt 5.2mm thick instead of 7mm but with my R6 calipers, will have to measure center fit, very cheap(54$) for two and being on the rear of Fjr are near mint condition.

Your Imput or suggestions.

Mike:fingers-crossed-emo

I bought 2 Fjr1300 rear rotors, I went to my Yamaha dealer and after a few measurments and discussion with owner, they seem to fit, 282mm 6 bolt 5.2mm thick instead of 7mm but with my R6 calipers, will have to measure center fit, very cheap(54$) for two and being on the rear of Fjr are near mint condition.

Your Imput or suggestions.

Mike:fingers-crossed-emo

I'll be interested in your findings, these are floating rotors correct? BTW what years did the rotors come off?

No, they are not floating rotors but solid drilled, all should fit but 2009 to present, other years would work but early models have radial cutt-out center, insteat of block shaped 09, for better look.

As a rider with some experience with Super Sport-Touring machine(Concours 14) or Super Sport(ZX-14 Ninja), I have found in aggressive riding (curves) the limitation of braking power will be the fin,al contact with road, and in my opignion,the week link for our +800 lbs and 1400 GVWR, is the amount of braking power from the calipers is limited by our tires, being new to Venture riding, I immediately found the compound of tire to be very hard(long lasting) compared to tires like Michelin Road 3 that don't last long, but gives you a solid grip on dry or wet pavement. The task of puttig calipers with more power is limited. This is without talking of handling ability's of a not upgraded VR.

Are there better options for tires on a 80's design bike like the VR.

Compromise is at hand, more comfort is the objective(for me), my driving habits will be changed and will make it a pleasure to keep putting safe and pleasurable km, to meet great people and places, :322:around the continent.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received the FJR1300 solid drilled rear rotor and yes, it seems to have same dia. and bolt pattern but only 5.2mm thick and lighter, compared to my front VR rotors.

Would reduced rotor thickness, create a real problem braking wise or have no perceived difference. I also received my 2 sets of Gold dot R1 calipers, they really look good and light, adding more control when braking, but I want to take them apart and inspect them, sooo I would need to find caliper seal kits to replace the ones removed after inspection and cleaning.

Like many new owner of VR, I am doing inspections and upgrades of potential problem hot-spots like carbs. brakes, forks, electrical contacts, fluid replacement etc., there is much to do but the benefice should be a good reliable machine.

No comments on tire upgrade for our heavy VR(driver), specially for us up north, in cold and rainy weather, my tires look slippery hard? Or is it a false impression I have.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mike:snow2:

Take a look at the Avon Venoms. They have one of the highest side wall load ratings out there. The traction on wet pavement is fantastic and I've run this set over 22,000 miles with no problems. I'm due for a new set and have them in my shop waiting for the "need" to put them on. They are a softer compound that offers great traction but with careful tire pressure checks I'm more than a lil satisfied with the life and performance of them.

My :2cents:

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Back to rotors, in background of attachment is the FJR REAR ROTOR going in front of my VR, same size except 5.2mm vs 7.0mm for stock.

Carbs. installed today with coil pack and cables etc., a few crancks and YES it started, adjusted idle at 1000 RPM super smooth idle, I wonder if anything will change after Motion Pro sync.

A happy camper.

Mike