IGNORED

Cross country road trip - second guessing my '83

I have an oppurtunity for a cross country ride from (San Jose)California to (Baton Rouge)Louisiana in april. Do you think an '83 Venture can make that trip? My bike has no issues right now and i do have some spare parts (TCI, voltage regulator, and CMS etc.) that would join me on the trip.

My bike has around 46k miles on it right now, new tires, new stator, and front progressive springs. Any Suggestions on things that i should do before the spring trip? Correction, it has 36K on it.

Has anyone done this trip before? I have 14 days for my trip.

Edited by alvald

Hey Al,

I have done quite a few San Diego, Ca. to Norfolk, Va. trips (and back) over the years on my 86'VR, and you will be traveling down south during the better time of the year. (not to hot)

I would suggest a brake and clutch fluid flush, a radiator fluid flush, Final Drive oil change, and the rear wheel hub splines and drive shaft splines greased, for a trip of this length. I also like to start out with a fresh engine oil and filter change. Because of the "dusty" conditions in the southern central states, I like a new air filter as well.

The amount of tools and extra parts that one could carry is endless, but here is a list of my favorites:

One large can of "fix-a-flat" (truck size)

Tire plug kit

Stock Yamaha Tool Kit (or a set of basic tools)

Metric Allen Wrench set (with the "ball ends")

A small air pump (tire inflater)

A GOOD air pressure gage

A set of decent quality, light rain gear

A bottle of plastic cleaner/polish and a soft cloth for cleaning the bugs off of the windshield and face shield.

Print out the members list from VR.ORG for the states you are passing thru! (priceless!)

I keep an 8MM boxed end wrench in the right front pouch in case a brake caliper overheats, and locks up, and I need to open a caliper bleeder in a hurry to move my bike off to the road side.

My GPS is an MP3 player as well, so I load the MP3 player with a lot of "Travelin' Music"

Bottled water. (When I get dried out, I find I get "tunnel vision", and my reflexes slow way down) I restock water as needed.

I have made this 3000 mile ride in 3 days. (I will NEVER do that again!)

I found 5 days was a "brisk" pace, but did that several times.

As I got a bit older, 6 days, (500 per day) was a good fit for me. I usually camped each night, and I was tired, but not so sore that I didn't want to get on the bike the next day.

Because of the warmer temps. down south, I found that the "Monkey Butt powder" worked wonders for me. Others have used a sheep skin or the "taxi beads" to "air out" the family jewels. Sunscreen is not a bad idea as well. There is nothing worse than after a long days ride, you can't sleep because your face or arms are burned up from the sun! I try to be sure to hydrate myself at EVERY fuel stop. The last thing I want to mention is, if you hit bad weather, (rain, heavy fog, frost, etc.) SLOW your pace, riding with your "butt puckered" isn't any fun, and basically wears you out much quicker. Since you are not pressed for time, (14 days) you could burn two tanks of gas a day, take 10 days for the trip, and stop and "smell the roses" so to speak, and this could be the trip of a lifetime. Check your tire pressure EVERY morning, and the Radiator overflow bottle, (this is the first sign that your bike is "using" radiator fluid, not uncommon for bikes of this age, but you want to keep the fluid topped off)

I am sure others will have their favorites,

Have a great trip,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Also a given, make sure your cell phone is always charged up!! If you don't have one, buy a cigarette lighter charger adapter for your cell phone...

And check to make sure it works!! I did this last time and mine wouldn't work after I got on the road. Just a blown fuse but it had blown til a quick look beside the road I thought it was good. Thanks "Monkey Boy" for charging it.

Just an FYI...if you plan to install or replace an existing radio...it's a good idea (IMHO) to get one with a USB connection. I use my cell phone as an MP3 player and the USB port (on my car stereo) charges the device at the same time. You can plug anything with a USB cord into it (I-Pod, cell phone, GPS, etc)

Have a great trip.