IGNORED

Cross country road trip - second guessing my '83

I have an oppurtunity for a cross country ride from (San Jose)California to (Baton Rouge)Louisiana in april. Do you think an '83 Venture can make that trip? My bike has no issues right now and i do have some spare parts (TCI, voltage regulator, and CMS etc.) that would join me on the trip.

My bike has around 46k miles on it right now, new tires, new stator, and front progressive springs. Any Suggestions on things that i should do before the spring trip? Correction, it has 36k on it.

Has anyone done this trip before? I have 14 days for my trip.

Edited by alvald

I have no doubt that your 83 could make the trip if its in good running order. I would think about also getting a spare fuel filter, maybe a spare fuel pump, and put some Ride-On in your tires to help prevent a flat.

Also, make sure that you print out a list of the member here before you go, so if something does happen you have a contact that knows the area and the bike.

Brian

Have a great trip!!!

This summer, Alan (from Australia) picked up his '84 and rode 8000 miles plus during the summer.

We bought the bike for him but didn't know the reliability of the bike other than the maint. we did on it. He had a great summer!

Given what you say about the condition of your bike, I wouldn't anticipate an issue with your trip. These are great bikes. Of course with any machine, there can always be something that comes up. That's when having the VR.org help list with you is an important part of your travel pack.

This group and their knowledge is a fantastic asset and willingness to help is amazing.

I look forward to your trip report and pictures from the road!

Dave

I have an oppurtunity for a cross country ride from (San Jose)California to (Baton Rouge)Louisiana in april. Do you think an '83 Venture can make that trip? My bike has no issues right now and i do have some spare parts (TCI, voltage regulator, and CMS etc.) that would join me on the trip.

My bike has around 46k miles on it right now, new tires, new stator, and front progressive springs. Any Suggestions on things that i should do before the spring trip?

Has anyone done this trip before? I have 14 days for my trip.

Not that trip, but Grump & I did about 10,000 miles this summer with an 83 & a 86, the 86 was hauling a trailer from start to finish. We did some minor maint over the trip & new rear tires installed, after returning to Canada.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=611370

Here is a map of the basic route (a few minor changes due to detours encountered).

I have no doubt that your 83 could make the trip if its in good running order. I would think about also getting a spare fuel filter, maybe a spare fuel pump, and put some Ride-On in your tires to help prevent a flat.

Also, make sure that you print out a list of the member here before you go, so if something does happen you have a contact that knows the area and the bike.

Brian

Click on this link http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45159 . Freebird has created a VR assistance list, in two different formats that you can download and print off. The Excel one you can add additional names to once you download and save it.

I wouldn't give it a second thought! Sure, it is an old bike and ANY old bike can have problems, but the Venture is designed to get on and ride across the country.

Take a spare set of plugs and give the tank s couple of treatments of sea foam before you go. If you have never changed it, put in a new air filter. Oil change before you go. New plug wires is a good idea as well especially if yours are the originals. Flush your brake and clutch fluids if you haven't done so yet...

The only thing I can think of, is your bike is nearing the mileage where the 2nd gear issue starts to show up. Yours may have already been fixed. It won't keep you from finishing your trip, but it will just make it a little annoying for you. Do a search on here for 2nd gear issue, if you want to learn more.

I have not had a chance to make any long trips this summer due to work demands but still managed to add up over 8,000 miles on my '84 with 63,000 miles this year with ZERO problems.

In the past I changed out the fuse panel, the OEM R/R for the new Shindengen unit, the DEKA AGM battery and added a digital voltmeter for monitoring the charging system. These changes elimintated most of my real concerns of the possible failures on a trip.

Off couse, some upgrades to the headlight and adding decent driving lights for visability day and night would be a plus to if not already done.

Theses bike love the open road and will run all day and all night without a hickup if maintained properly. I'd head out anywhere on mine with little concern.

Mike

i havnt done a HUGE trip like that on my 83, but just did a 9hr trip yesterday. no issues. of course, i have a new agm, h.i.d.s, new ngk's, new fuse block(skydoc), new fuel filter, new air filter(k&n), new custom wires(ngk), fresh fork oil, new avons, speedbleeders, etc. im having the 2nd gear issue....didnt matter, just went around it. had no problem passing my friends ultra and softail! did run some seafoam thru first tank, averaged about 36mpg. ran it hard! have fun!

Looking back on the issues of my 85,,,,, I would change the fuse panel, check out the final drive splines and change the brake and clutch fluids. You may want to change the rear tire, and if you do, the splines are right there, need to be cleaned, greased and checked for wear. The fuse box could be just annoying but the splines can leave you hanging for a week or so.

Other than that, you could service the swing arm and change the rear wheel bearings. There is lots you can do as pointed out. Most important is to have a save ride, so check your brakes and tires.