IGNORED

2nd gen is your speedometer correct

motorcycle_1300

I ride with a few other Venture riders and recently we noticed all of our speedometer/oddometers are incorrect. When comparing the speed noted on our speedometers to our GPS units we noted our speedometers. all read out about 8% higher speeds than we were actually riding. we have also confirmed this using mile markers oddometers indicating 10 while mile markers had just passed the 9 mile mark. We have compared with automobile speedometers as well as other Yamaha bikes. Now while this allows a little buffer room, well it did untill we started riding a bit faster to make up the difference, it also racks up phantom miles that erode our resale values. Tire warrentes run out before their time, we change oil more often(not a bad thing) 0 to 50 is really 0 to 46 so we think we are faster than we think we are, but not actually half fast

Have any other 2nd gen riders noted this? is it possible to recalibrate the speedometers?

Al :think:

I noticed this LOOOONG ago ...... my bike shows 21 miles for 20. speed varies no rhyme or reason...

error effects cruise for some folks....

I was kidding.

I do believe that the import bike speedo's only need to be within 10% of actual speed. Not sure where I read that, but I know I did. As far a cruise..... are you talking cruise control? I have no issues with mine because of incorrect speedo reading. Most of the time I go by the speed reading on the gps if it is on the bike. That is dead accurate.

While the speed on most Ventures (Gen-2) is off by about 7.5% the odometer calibration is usually accurate. I was able to confirm this on my 08 Venture on a long trip. I have not been able to do so yet on my 2010. Perhaps this weekend I will get a chance to check it out.

Mike

According to two different GPS's and measure mile markers at 71 mph, my 1st gen, 28 year old bike reads 70 mph, so I am one mile per hour off.

Sheech, is that another one of those improvements(?) they made when they made a 2nd gen?:whistling:

RandyA

Exactly.

While the speed on most Ventures (Gen-2) is off by about 7.5% the odometer calibration is usually accurate. I was able to confirm this on my 08 Venture on a long trip. I have not been able to do so yet on my 2010. Perhaps this weekend I will get a chance to check it out.

Mike

Dang It. On my previous bike (08 Venture) the speedo was off but the odometer was right on. Well I just came back from a trip to Mt. St. Helens and on my 2010 Venture both the speedo and odometer are off. It looks like about 7.5% on the speedo and 4% on the odo. I guess I just need a taller rear tire to make everything ok.

Mike