I appreciated the "no rear brake, but do have left front brake" thread but couldn't find one that dealt with no front left brake. I replaced the pistons on the front right brake caliper as it was leaking and decided to check out the front left to see if they were wet and have found they don't move. I disconnected the hose from the front left caliper and no fluid came out even when I pumped the front brake lever. Any suggestions in what I should do next would be appreciated. I have a 1987 Venture.:12101:

I appreciated the "no rear brake, but do have left front brake" thread but couldn't find one that dealt with no front left brake. I replaced the pistons on the front right brake caliper as it was leaking and decided to check out the front left to see if they were wet and have found they don't move. I disconnected the hose from the front left caliper and no fluid came out even when I pumped the front brake lever. Any suggestions in what I should do next would be appreciated. I have a 1987 Venture.:12101:

Do you realize, the left front is on the rear brake system.

Big air pocket by the steering neck, you will have to bleed that before the left caliper.

Make sure the rear master does not run out of fluid, when bleeding.

I found a plastic turkey baster, with a bit of filing at the bottom, works nicely to thread into the filler cap opening & provides additional supply for bleeding.

:080402gudl_prv:

Do you realize, the left front is on the rear brake system.

Big air pocket by the steering neck, you will have to bleed that before the left caliper.

Make sure the rear master does not run out of fluid, when bleeding.

I found a plastic turkey baster, with a bit of filing at the bottom, works nicely to thread into the filler cap opening & provides additional supply for bleeding.

:080402gudl_prv:

Would that mean to test my front left caliper I'd need to apply my rear brake pedal? That sounds so backwards I had to ask. ~)

Would that mean to test my front left caliper I'd need to apply my rear brake pedal? That sounds so backwards I had to ask. ~)

That is the linked brake system. When applying the foot brake the proportioning valve attached to the rear master starts to apply pressure to the rear brake first, then to the left front caliper. When fully applied the rear gets 30% and the front gets 70% pressure.

The right hand lever only applys pressure to the right front caliper. Some have delinked the system so the front brake lever does both left and right caliper but if the linked system is working properly it does a fine job of slowing the the old girl down.

Mike

That sounds so backwards I had to ask. ~)

It is a linked braking system and not obvious, so not daft to ask. It could be working perfectly and you have just not known how to check it, or it may need an overhaul. If the 'back' is slowing you down surprisingly well, now you know why !

Some have delinked the system so the front brake lever does both left and right caliper

Yup - they sure have, but PLEASE don't ask which is better until you've searched and read the existing threads.... (and then - please still don't...)

Some have delinked the system so the front brake lever does both left and right caliper.

Mike

Yup - they sure have, but PLEASE don't ask which is better until you've searched and read the existing threads.... (and then - please still don't...)

Ahh come on Greg!!!

What else we got to talk about? Oil?....tires?.....which color is fastest?.....why 2nd gens are so slow? :stickpoke:

:smile5:

Mike

I appreciated the "no rear brake, but do have left front brake" thread but couldn't find one that dealt with no front left brake. I replaced the pistons on the front right brake caliper as it was leaking and decided to check out the front left to see if they were wet and have found they don't move. I disconnected the hose from the front left caliper and no fluid came out even when I pumped the front brake lever. Any suggestions in what I should do next would be appreciated. I have a 1987 Venture.

I hate to say it but you have just opened a can of worms for yourself.

Most likely since you took the line off of the left front, you now have air in the front left and if you read all of the threads about how to bleed it, you will see that it is a PITA to do.

But then if you believe in the silver lining theory, this is a great opportunity to flush out the old brake fluid and get it all replaced with fresh fluid.:big-grin-emoticon: