IGNORED

cold weather hand protection

barend

I found the hippo hands site (http://www.hippohands.com)

Also found Bikerpaws, but it is apparently no longer available.

And lastly I found "winterhands" (http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/VX/winterhands.htm). Unfortunately only a mailing address, no phone or e-mail

winterhands is lined and more expensive, while hippohands looks more like a rigid "fairing" which would keep the wind of but not provide any insulation. There are probably other similar things but I haven't found them (yet). Who has experience with what?

Thanks

I normally wear a medium glove,,, and just recently purchased a pair of XXL insulated gloves,,,, they do the trick. The outer material is not tightened over the fingers with such a large pair and so leaves the insulation in working condition. I thought that the larger size would be a problem, but found that it doesn't matter at all. What I can't get over, is to have to shove my hand into a 'tunnel' in order to get at the brakes or what ever,,, I suppose that wouldn't be problem if you never take your hands off of the handle bars,,,, but I don't think that would be the case.

one of the wusses.... oppps... guys...at work uses hippo hands. They look as silly as hell but he says they work great. He only rides about 7 or 8 miles to work on his Vstar... I would think a quality pair of gloves would serve him well, but if you are doing highway or distance they look like the way to go.

:stickpoke:

I have a set of hippo hands from many years ago, that I've used on a number of bikes. They do a very good job, but the newer ones have a better design and really keep the wind off your hands. With a set of these and insulated gloves I've ridden in below freezing temps for quite a distance before my hands would get too cold. As well, with the hippo hands, even one of those little "hot packs" that you can buy at most outdoors stores and taped to your handle bar will keep your hands warm for hours. A whole lot cheaper than heated gloves or hand grips, unless you do a lot of cold weather riding.

Andy

I have a set of hippo hands from many years ago, that I've used on a number of bikes. They do a very good job, but the newer ones have a better design and really keep the wind off your hands. With a set of these and insulated gloves I've ridden in below freezing temps for quite a distance before my hands would get too cold. As well, with the hippo hands, even one of those little "hot packs" that you can buy at most outdoors stores and taped to your handle bar will keep your hands warm for hours. A whole lot cheaper than heated gloves or hand grips, unless you do a lot of cold weather riding.

Andy

Do the hippo hands fit over the radio stock? Their web site lists a set "without switch pod on left side"... What the heck does that mean?

Do the hippo hands fit over the radio stock? Their web site lists a set "without switch pod on left side"... What the heck does that mean?

I'm not sure. If they mean the control head for the audio system (That's the only "large" switch pod I can think of on the bike.).Since every RSV would have it, I don't see how they could make an RSV muff that can't handle that pod. If you like, I can try to find out as the company is just 15 miles from here and the owner belongs to the same vintage bike club as me.

Andy

Yes, I had those as well, but they cause problems on motorcycles since we tend to be moving at higher speeds which causes the muff to press against the clutch and brake levers. And then if you take your hand out at speed...good luck trying to get it back in. The Hippo Hands have a foam stiffener in the cuffs to allow you to slip your hand out and back in at speed. You still need something (They suggest "brush guards") to keep the muff from pressing against the levers, though.

Andy

I just did a 60 mile run on the interstate, at night, 29°F, with my Gortex hunting cloves and my fingers were fine. There is no brand name on them anywhere but I got them from Gander Mountain about 3 years ago. Yes they are blaze orange and thin enough that I have no issues working any of the buttons on the bike or the safety or trigger while hunting.

When I called, I spoke to a gentleman about getting a pair for my second gen. Venture. He told me that he didn't have the specific measurements for my bike. Plus, I changed-out my original handlebars for Flander's Beach Bars, so that makes figuring-out the proper fit even more difficult.

I think that if you could install a set of Yamaha grip brush-guards and then get a properly-fitted set of Hippo Hands to install around them, then you might have a pretty effective winter riding tool. I ride in some pretty cold weather during the wintertime sometimes, and I know that I would like to try a set - if only I could figure out the right way to get them measured to fit.

Be Safe!

Pete.

The coldest I've ridden here in Texas is 24F and that's only several times in the past and then only for a few hours till it warms up. Even with heated grips my finger tips are what I can't keep warm. Finally I invested in a pair of heated gloves $169. No more problem.

Guys,

I have a set of Polar Hands that I bought several years ago through Tucker Rocky and I just checked and they are still available for around $50. And unlike other items like this, they fit over our mirrors nicely.

http://cdn-5.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/ec0412/50-0110_400.jpg

• Designed to fit any snowmobile or motorcycle
  • Slot openings for mirrors and cables; tapers down to a Velcro® closure
  • Outside is made of water/windproof nylon
  • Inside is quilted insulated nylon
  • Has a plastic support to prevent sagging or closing while riding
  • Available in black only

Hope this helps,

Rick