IGNORED

Time To Hook Up The Heated Gear

Bobby G

Heading to the TN and NC mountains this weekend, and the low's are looking like they will be in the 30's, so it's time to hook up the Gerbin's. Should be a beautiful ride though. Riding 2-up this time, as the wife's shoulder is acting up and the doc has grounded her from riding her own bike.

Any word on running two sets of Gerbin heated gloves off the battery as far as overload is concerned? We've not done that before and I don't want to have any electrical problems so far from home.

It would be great if you had a volt meter. I try to manage my usage on the vest/jacket since they draw a lot of juice (65+watts). I also keep my passing lights off when using the heat. The gloves are not such a problem. I don't have leg or foot heat so I can't comment on that. I only ride alone in the cold since my wife is allergic to the cold.

PS: Watch out for wet leaves and be safe. :backinmyday:

:farmer:

If you are only running gloves you should not have a problem. The wife and I both have the heated liner. The arms, back, chest and neck all warm up. We have no problems while crusing above 10 or 15 miles an hr. If we stop at a light the voltage meter drops to red. I turn my set off and all is well and that is with the passing lights still on.

We have had them for three years now and the bike has never failed.

Thanks guys. We're just running the gloves and maybe one vest, but I don't think it will be cold enough to need it. But I will turn off the highway lights while we have the Gerbins on. Good suggestion.

And yes, I think it's the stock stator, but the rectifier is new, as is the battery.

Gonna be a great weekend - - mid 60's and sunny. But chilly at night - - low 30's. Got a fireplace in the hotel room though. :whistling:

WOW! What a gorgeous weekend of riding in the mountains of GA, NC and TN. Maybe missed "peak" leaf peeping by 1 week, but it was still drop dead beautiful. And no heated gear needed. Our route Saturday took us north through Blue Ridge, Murphy NC (with a stop at Cherokee County Cycles for some requisite shopping!), Cherokee NC and on through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Gatlinburg. Stayed the night at a Best Western that had a nice view of the downtown area, a sitting room with a fireplace and a hot tub! (Need I say more?) After some pancakes and boot shopping in Pigeon Forge, on the return trip Sunday we cut across Little River Rd. to the Foothills Parkway, down the Dragon to Deals Gap (318 turns in 11 miles!) and Robbinsville, west over the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains, then south on Rt. 68 back to Blue Ridge and home. About 400 miles total, and not one minute of trouble or problems - until we got home and found our whole house filled with gas leaking from the furnace and water heater. Called out the gas company and had to have it shut off until we can get the HVAC guy in today. Valve seals have gone bad in several places and we've probably been inhaling gas for weeks without even knowing it. More dead brain cells!

I can honestly say that I could do the Cherohala over and over, it is that beautiful a ride. At peak elevation it's about 5,300 feet (Huckleberry NC), and in total it's about 40 miles in length. A very leisurely 2 hours, and virtually no traffic to speak of. I'll take it over the Dragon any day.

Another great road to try if you get up that way is Rt. 28 out of Deals Gap southeast down to Tuskeegee NC. "Hellbender 28". So many roads - - so little time!

Edited by Bobby G

I agree...I prefer the Skyway over the Dragon...way tooooo many CRAZYS on Dragon...

This summer, we rode US 28 from just north of Augusta, GA til it intersected with US 129...capped off the day with a ride on the Dragon...headed to Wears Valley.

Anyone interested in the videos? Captured the whole ride on the GoPro!!! LOL!:rotf: