IGNORED

RIDLEY motorcycles, wha-a-a-at?

Mel

I participated in the neighborhood halloween parade last evening. Fire truck in front, costumed kids (maybe 50 of 'em) and some parents, then me at the rear with USA flag flowing, four-way-flashers going, and John Phillip Sousa marches in the stereo.

When I arrived, I was a bit surprised to see another motorcycle already there. I recognized it right away as one that has been cruising the neighborhood with it's irritating, noisy, tinny sounding, small displacement wannabe, straight pipe exhaust sound. It's a kinda retro chopper style, low slung, and I've never been able to identify it as it cruised by. Seemed to be about 7/8 size of a full size motorcycle.

RIDLEY! 750 V-twin, "AUTO GLIDE" transmission. I had never heard of 'em. Built them for a while (Oklahoma City I think), then went out of business, economy problems I guess. Sold everything to another company, VENTURE I think. They are rebuilding and selling certified used ones, no new ones available. They had one priced at over $16,000, 6 month warranty.

http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/

I don't think I'd want to spend $16,000 on something like that. You can get a Venture or RSTD with years of warranty left on it for that kind of money. :2cents:

Guest tx2sturgis

Actually, Harley-Davidson sued them out of existence. It was an extended legal battle over the name 'Autoglide'....Seems that both companies claimed the rights to that name, but HD had deeper pockets, and MUCH more expensive lawyers, and they won.

I don't think I'd want to spend $16,000 on something like that. You can get a Venture or RSTD with years of warranty left on it for that kind of money. :2cents:

You might reconsider if that was the only way you could ride. Several years ago at one of our poker runs a fellow was limping up to register and I asked if he had a bad knee.

"nope" he said, don't have a knee. He was riding a Ridley and he was there every wednesday evening all summer for our cruise in's.

He was an avid rider with an amputated leg but determined to ride and ride he did. The automatic transmission was the only way (for him) to do it.

He was an avid rider with an amputated leg but determined to ride and ride he did. The automatic transmission was the only way (for him) to do it.

Annie had a shifter that worked from a handlebar control on her RSV. Not sure what was on the Harley Trike, but presume something similar.

Annie had a shifter that worked from a handlebar control on her RSV. Not sure what was on the Harley Trike, but presume something similar.

Not sure about his circumstance but he was totally happy with the Ridley and the fact that he could ride, I believe he was 2 up on occasion.

A couple that used to ride with us,, the girl was 4'9" and she rode a Ridley Speedster. It's a 3/4 sized cruiser. It would go through the belt in 1000 miles. But it would do the speed, 70+..

We'd let her be ride leader. As people passed us on the interstate we got a whole lot of double takes and "look at that" as they rode by.

It ended up really problem prone. When Ridley was at Myrtle Beach, they took it back west and sold it for her.

But I swear it looked like a circus bear should be riding it,,,, 3/4 sized bike. Cute.

I remember watching a feature on American Thunder several years ago about the Ridley Motorcycle. If I remember correctly the power train was basically the same as a snowmobile. Just twist the throttle and engage the belt drive just like a snowmobile. I remember thinking that was very clever.

Actually, Harley-Davidson sued them out of existence. It was an extended legal battle over the name 'Autoglide'....Seems that both companies claimed the rights to that name, but HD had deeper pockets, and MUCH more expensive lawyers, and they won.

Are you sure they are out of business. They still have them on their website.

Got it. Very interesting. Now I don't know what the truth really is. Apparently they are only selling reconditioned or "left over" models. The latest they show is 2009. They say that production is "idle" waiting on the economic climate to improve. No mention of a lawsuit although I don't guess that is something that they would want to advertise.

Wasn't it Honda that made an automatic bike back in the 80's

I don't mean the little minibike....I think it was a 500 or 650.

Are there no automatic bikes anywhere now?

I'm looking for an automatic bike/trike for myself because with my disability changing gears would be a bit difficult. However I really do not want a scooter...freaking death traps....

Well, there's always the CanAm Spyder. Semi-Automatic transmission and ABS among other things. And there's a touring model that even has an available trailer.

Andy

Yamaha has a semi- automatic version of the FJR1300. No clutch. You can foot shift or use buttons on the left handle bar control. You could buy that and have money left for the price of the Ridley. Of course if seat height is an issue, the Ridley is the only option or one of the new scooters, they are getting better looking and more motorcycle like.

I can't see having Autoglide as a must have TM. I would have let Harley have it. I don't think changing the name to Autodrive or something else would have hurt their sales any. But what do I know.

RSTDdog

On her trike the shifter was as it is on any bike, the most noticable change was the rear brake. It was on the handle bar just above ( I believe) the front brake. There also was some modifications done on the right side highway peg and such to acommidate her leg.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis
Got it. Very interesting. Now I don't know what the truth really is. Apparently they are only selling reconditioned or "left over" models. The latest they show is 2009. They say that production is "idle" waiting on the economic climate to improve. No mention of a lawsuit although I don't guess that is something that they would want to advertise.

Ah, grasshoppah....u only need to ask me...or know what to look for...

;-)

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2010/01/06/breaking-news-ridley-motorcycles-in-chapter-11-bankruptcy-reorganization/

And, BTW GAWildkat, the maxiscooters on the market are not death traps...they are capable of speeds over 100 mph and can do wheelies...check out the Yamaha Majesty and T-Max,, the Suzuki Bergman, or the Honda Silver Wing. They have modern brakes, lots of storage, comfy seats, and no shifting!

Some get over 50 mpg...

09RSTD said

If I am not mistaken the Yamaha FJR 1300A series is offered in an automatic.

Almost an automatic, the FJR was offered for a few years with the option of an electric clutch, no clutch lever just a shift lever or thumb paddle shifter, you could select one or the other as you rode. I thought it would hard to get used to, but when I took a demo ride a few years ago, it was as easy as could be, just cannot blip the throttle at red lights because as you get ready to take off , the clutch is engaged by engine rpms, and blipping the throttle will land you in the middle of the intersection.