IGNORED

driver headset cord is bad

maddog2498

My headset cord is bad, the cord that is on the gas tank. How do you and how hard is it to change or maybe have a new end put on by soldering?? I see that I can get a used one at Pinwall. Any help will be appreciated. thanks , maddog:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by maddog2498

yes 2002 midnight venture. thanks v1100, for you detailed info. I just made a new windshield and put it on. Just a few more steps to get the fairing off. Do I put the di-electric grease on the pins or just on the housing to seal out moisture? thanks all yall for your input. I see cords for sale on Pinwall cycle that I will order. maddog:cool10:

About dielectric grease, of course it is non-conductive, because if it wasn't, and it got on the connections, it would short stuff out! It is used in a lot of connections, not just on the gasket as mentioned. Stuff like big connectors and light bulbs, you can coat the connectors, and that is what it is for. Light duty connections though, you might want to stay away from coating them, because the grease might be thick enough to keep them apart, but the grease won't ever short out anything. Something like a big spade lug connection, go ahead and coat it, the connectors will easily get past the grease and the grease will keep them from oxidizing and corroding.

Edited by dynodon

Yah! I just put a glob on the connector then just seat and reseat it a few times to get the grease in the connector as well to stop corrosion. The pins are made to make contact anyway, the metal just penetrates the grease to make contact. You can use too much though...