There was mention of starting a new thread dealing with Ponch and his progress by one of our members. I thought this was a pretty good idea and after talking with the moderators, who thought it also a good idea we will implement it here in this thread. Freebird had a good point as many folks have the initial thread subscribed in case someone posts something up. That is valid also and what I will do is leave a link on that thread to this one. I will post updates here so folks can see whats going on.

I will make this one a READ ONLY thread, this way we don't get to the point of the other thread with 10's of thousands hits and several hundred responses. I will also let folks know of updates in the original thread and y'all can post to that one. I am going to post updates from when we were 1st able to see David.

Again Thank You ALL for your continued support and prayers for David and Kathy :thumbsup2:

On 9/20

From Jus Monkeyin Around

We had a very special visit with Ponch last night as this is the first time being able to see him since the day before his accident. He was very tired after being worked over so hard in rehab but still knew who Renee and I were, he waved and tried to speak, showed me his head and all the road rash. All his road rash is about healed up, the bruising is bout gone. It was very good to see him and Kathy.

If anyone wants to go see him I would suggest to go on the weekend in the afternoon when he is more awake as these nurses work very hard with him throughout the day he would be more awake to visit with you. Kathy mentioned she would like to see y'all to. Keep up the prayers as David is slowly getting better.

Edited by Squidley

On 9/25

For the 1st time in 6 weeks, I finally got to see one of my best friends. I am going to be honest here, David is obviously looking much better that he 1st did. That being said, he has a long, long way to go. It was a very bittersweet moment for me personally, I am so grateful that he is still here with us. In the same breath, David will more than likely never be the same. I know that sounds a bit gloomy, and I still hold out great hope for him, but until the bleeding on his brain completely stops. We wont know how much damage there is. He is currently in speech therapy, and was able to talk to us. I dont honestly know if he could differentiate Kenny, from Boomer or myself, I'd like to think he can, but the brain bleeding is really hampering his ability to communicate on his own.

I can't tell you how much I love David, he is every bit a mentor to me and I value his friendship more everyday. I am amazed at the miraculous recovery he has made thus far. I hold out hope as while I was there I held his hand the entire time. He initiated different holding positions with me with both hands. This was very encouraging for me and several times he looked in my direction and said "Thank You" I just really want to be able to have a conversation with him. That is what my prayers are going to be angled towards from now on. Keep thinking of him, keep talking to God about him, keep praying for him. He has come so far and we can't let up now, I miss my Buddy....and I want him to come back to us

:)

Edited by Squidley

On 10/11

Another good update,

Monkey Boy and his gal Naynay went to the rehab center on Sunday and I'm happy to say that David is doing much better. They can't hardly get him to shut up now! He remembers faces, but is sometimes having hard times recalling names. He did remember "Monkey Boy" screen name, so this is good. He is emotional right now as he is trying to process an incomprehensible amount of information, as his brain is still healing and making the connections for memory. Lonna and I are going to see him this weekend, more than likely Sunday.

He is coming along and I am so grateful that you folks have continued to keep him in your thoughts. Still a long way to go but he has said several times he wants to go back to work. I'll keep y'all informed as I know more....Thank You all for believing :)

Edited by Squidley

From Gunboat on 10/16

Hi Folks

Got to visit with Ponch today. Kreg, Hal, Lonna & Brad were already there visiting with Kathy & Ponch. Man what a improvement I saw with Ponch. the tirr hospital has done wonders with David. but it's his determination to get better and get out of there. I also know it's the work of God and all the thoughts and prayers of the whole VENTURE FAMILY. David was looking at pictures that Lonna & Brad had brought. David was remembering a lot of names and putting them to the correct faces. He still has a way to go but it had me in tears when I left to see him in such better shape than just a few weeks ago. Brad will most likely be posting soon with a better up date.

Regards to all

don c.

Edited by Squidley

From Pktexas on 10/17

Went to see David today on the way to work. Seen a big improvement since 2 weeks ago. We talked for over an hour, we laughed and even cried several times. He and Kathy talked about the pictures Brad and Lonna brought. Kept telling me about a Kregerdoodle who came to see him. David now calls me pkman. The security guard told me on the way in the building that he was very popular. I told him you have no idea, he has a big family. Keep the prayers coming, its working. Was great to see him getting better, long way to go, but he is making good progress. Can't wait to visit again soon to talk more with him.

Edited by Squidley

On 10/18

My apologies for not getting on here sooner, life in Texas hasn't slowed down for us :no-no-no:

As mentioned by Gunboat, several of us were able to go see David on Sunday. I can't express how good it felt to be able to have a conversation with one of my best friends in almost 2 months! I have been praying harder than I ever remember during this time and as hard as I tried to look at the positive of David surviving during the last 2 months, my heart has been dragging. David mentioned when I walked in that my face was familiar, he didn't get the name right at 1st, but I could look him in the eye and we could talk with each other. That was the moment for me, we may have to rebuild our friendship from scratch, but I will gladly do that to have David back in our lives

We brought down the laptop with many picture folders of Rally's and MD's and started showing them to David. His eyesight is a bit funky right now, but he is able to make out the pics if he looks hard at them. He did pretty good at recognizing people from the pictures, this give me great hope that he will continue to get some more of his memory back. Another one of my moments is when both he and I busted on Doodle as we were looking through the pics. I almost cried I was so happy that it seemed a little more like normal between the 3 of us (For those of you that don't know Ponch, Kregerdoodle or myself, we are best friends and are ALWAYS busting each others chops!)

David will talk your ear off! he is still very emotional as there is so much he is trying to absorb and comprehend. His voice is not the same right now as he is healing from the trache and his vocal cords haven't been used in 6 weeks or better. We would have stayed a bit longer, but he had some other friends of the family show up and we didn't want to take from their time with him. He was very sad to see us go and tears flowed from both sides, he really didn't want to let go of Lonna's hand, god love him. We promised we would be back and we will, I may try to get back down there Saturday and see him for a while.

In all reality, what we have witnessed through this site is a miracle. I dont usually get too preachy, but all that happened with David, surviving a stroke and a 60mph motorcycle crash is nothing short of miraculous. I will forever believe that it was all of you folks, and the thousands of others that talked with God, who led David back to us. I'm a firm believer that we all have a purpose on this planet, God knows we shouldn't have survived our crash in '08....but there were other plans for us, as I'm sure there is for David.

I can't thank you all enough for keeping David and his family in your thoughts. I can rest a bit easier knowing that when I left David at the hospital on Sunday, I was able to look him in the eye....and tell him that I loved him

Edited by Squidley

From Tom on 10/21

Ok folks,I am back from Houston and spent a couple of hours with Ponch and Kathy and had the pleasure of seeing and being with him during his Physical Therapy. When I walked into his room he was trying to focus in on me and when I spoke he called me by my name!! He also called Debby by her name..This is FANTASTIC news when you think of the horrific accident he was in. While there is still a long road to full recovery I Personally think he is going to recover to at least 98% of who he was before the accident. Do I think he will make it 100% ? YEP,I saw him fighting hard today in PT and I am here to tell you he was walking with a pole(Staff) with only minimum help from behind..he did 95%of the walk himself!! He also was bending over to pickup a ball on the floor then they had him doing it to the right and to the left while making him really strech for the ball. I will also admit tears flowed from both of our eyes when I mentioned to Ponch that there have been over 32000 hits on this site and how many are praying for him....He looked me square in the eye and said "Over 32000 hits ?" " I had no idea so many people cared !" I told him he will be surprised at how many are sending best wishes and the kind words from basically all over the world. He just broke down and cried. Ponch is a fighter and as I say, UNLESS something goes haywire I look for him to be active with us again..maybe not riding but at meets and eats or Maintenance Days. To everyone on this site THANK YOU for the Prayers you have sent and to the ones that may not believe I know your hearts are with him also and I want to Thank all of you too. I know I have rambled a lot but I hope I have made some sense in this Update. One more thing, He even asked about my Mom and he told me "I got to go see her before the Accident." Folks that says a lot about Ponch's recovery when he could remember that! Keep the prayers coming..I personally believe what I saw today was a miracle and prayers DO WORK!

From Kregerdoodle 10/23

Myself and Janet had a great visit with Dave and Kathy today, he is doing better then last week, they were playing Dominoes when we got there, he does pretty good matching the colors and counting the dots, good eye exercise. He knew who we were, called me kregerdoodle, Janet was JanetDoodle, Kathy was Kathydoodle or BossDoodle and he was DavidDoodle or just Dave. we had some laughs and a few tears. He will be moving to a new rehab on Nov.2 , they are really going to be working him hard, 9am till 3pm m/f and field trips on weekends, this will really help him in getting him ready to go home, Kathy wasn't sure on visitation, so after he is moved she said she would call and let people know when would be a good time to visit.

Please keep the prayers coming

An email from Kathy Warren 10/25

Praise God!

David passed his swallow test this morning. Did well eating his lunch and dinner. The food has a little texture. He walked two flights of stairs during PT with a therapist holding on to his waist. During OT they had him exercise with a medicine ball. It was funny when he picked the ball up he made the funniest face. You would think the ball weighted 100 lbs, progressing everyday. Looking forward in him going to the other rehab place. Will be close to home and the place is not a hospital setting. Love You Thanks for the prayers.

Visited with David & Kathy this afternoon. Ponch still making good progress, was getting ready to eat dinner when I left. Wouldn't let me have his pudding. Kathy said he is going to stay till Nov 29th at TIRR, to continue his therapy. They are working on getting his strength and balance back. He is ready to go home soon. Prayers continue to work.

• 2 weeks later...

From Pktexas on 11-10

Stopped in to visit with Ponch and Kathy this evening at TIRR. They are doing well, David told me that he will be transferring to another facility probably this coming Monday. Its in Conroe, closer to their house. Kathy thinks 1-2 months maybe. He's still is having some vision problems, and experiences vertigo sometimes. Told me the doctor was moving his head around trying check his movement and he almost threw-up on the Dr. David said he wished he did. He still has that great sense of humor, cracked me up several times. Stayed while he ate his dinner, he's eating good bye himself. Walked Kathy to the bus stop, she is staying close to the rehab facility. Will be good for her to be back at home soon too. Still praying for continued recovery.

Janet talked to Kathy today 11/17/11 they moved David to the new facility Nov 14th. She said they work David from 9 to 3 Monday –Friday no one can see him during this time and by 6pm he is ready to go to bed that he’s wore out. She said that David is getting use to his new surroundings having a bit of trouble with names and faces. She said since he’s hasn’t been there a full week yet she doesn’t know exactly what they have planned for him on weekends.

She said he said at TIRR they did alot for him but here they make him do a lot more for himself. Besides with hard PT they have him reading and trying to write. She said his voice and features are trying to come back. She said the Docs think maybe a year and Dave should be back to himself.

He’s still having vision problems she said he will cover his eyes with his hand and peek through his fingers and say I see you. Then do it with the other hand. She said his sense of humor keeps them laughing and helps everyone including himself.

She said he doesn’t remember their house or anything about it. The Drs evaluated him and said he could leave for a few hours Thanksgiving. She and Shannon will take him by the house for a little while and see how or what reaction he will have then they are going to Shannon’s sister in law’s for Thanksgiving then back to Touchstone facility.

She said she will notify Dave “monkey boy” when Dave “Ponch” will be allowed to have visitors outside of family. The goal is to get him ready with the hard PT to be able to go home in a couple of months.

• 1 month later...

Myself, Janet, Hal and Val stopped in to see Dave (Ponch) today, he is doing GREAT !! He is able to walk, stand , recognize people...

We had a Great Visit with Dave and Kathy and Val brought a big dish of Banana Pudding, Dave really liked the Pudding. we had alot of laughs and visited about past times, he is remembering things alot better now but is still having some vision problems, but with time this may clear up. They are hopping that he will be able to go home in Jan, but all depends on his progress. Dave has no memory of the accident, but is starting to remember things that happened before. He said he has really missed picking on me, and I have really missed that too. It was so good to see him, and see him doing so well. He is looking great and putting some weight back on.

He got to go home over ThanksGiving, and said he really enjoyed that. The Place he is at now really work him with both Occupational and Physical Thearepy, and he is doing very well with both.

Please continue to hold them in your Prayers.

Kreg

MERRY CHRISTMAS & Happy New Year!!!!

Babe & I wish you the best Christmas you've had. We're so glad you're doing so well! We were one of the couples that sat with you and Kathy at the banquet in Cody. We've had you in our prayers and thoughts since the spill. Hope you get to go home soon. Keep up the great work you've been doing with your rehab. Hope to see you at the MD this spring.

Kreg, Thanks for the update!!

Another wonderful Christmas present to receive. That you for the newest news!

Dave, if you read this please continue to work hard and it will come together. We have seen first hand the recovery of a dear friend over the last couple of years from his crash.

It is unbelievable but great as well!!

Myself, Janet, Hal and Val stopped in to see Dave (Ponch) today, he is doing GREAT !! He is able to walk, stand , recognize people...

It was so good to see him, and see him doing so well. He is looking great and putting some weight back on.

He got to go home over ThanksGiving, and said he really enjoyed that. The Place he is at now really work him with both Occupational and Physical Thearepy, and he is doing very well with both.

Please continue to hold them in your Prayers.

Kreg

This is great news. Many thanks for the update..... :thumbsup2:

got to spend some time with ponch last night. he was in good spirts and possibly going to be able to go home as early a this coming friday. as mention by kregerdoodle in their visit with david. he has some vision issuses but he is working hard to over come them. he told me to tell everyone he is very greatfull for all the well wishies and prayers. david has a strong fath and love of the lord. said it was not his time to go yet. he said he will be post soon to as he gets home. please keep him & cathie in your thoughts and prayers. david is a good friend to me and all of the vr family.

best reguards

don c.