IGNORED

How would the RSV run with the front plug wires switched / vacuum hose disconnect?

Dealer just completed warranty on the 07 RSV replacing the cylinder head gaskets front and rear. I have found what appears to be a vacumm hose disconnected beneath the fuel tank. I can't tell where the rear connects, however the forward end of tube is long enough to reach the air cleaners and perhaps more. Idle is not smoothe and there is a vibration getting up to higher rpm's. Once you reach mid to high rpm's it smoothes out. Mechanic stated it is a vent tube and stuffed it back under the tank. The end of the hose physically is expanded and looks to have had a clamp on it originally He did a carb sync and it seems only slightly better. Next step is to remove the tank myself and determine where the hose originates on the connected end and go from there. I don't see specifics on the vent tubes in the service manual, however I may be missing something.

Note: The checked the valve adjustment at this time as well, 30K, and stated all were within spec.

It was running great before their having worked on it. Appreciate any suggestions/guidance here.

Unfortunately (especially after they worked on your engine), the mechanic that you spoke with is a fool. That hose is one of the carburetor vents (one for left side, one for right side). It connects to a rubber T between the carbs on the top. There is no clamp, you are just seeing the rings made by the ridges on the nipple. The vent hose is also where the gas gets pumped out if you have a stuck float (float bowl overflow). It is supposed to be routed through the rectangular cutout in the middle of the front carb frame to the little rectangular bracket just in front of the air intake. To get to it, you will need to remove the tank AND both air plenums above the carbs. Even if you get lucky and see the open nipple after you remove the first plenum, you will want to look at the other one to see if the moron left it off too!

Factory stupidly crosses them, so if you have stuck float on a left side carb, you will see gas running down the inside of your RIGHT lower cowling! I always un-cross them and rout left hose to left intake, R to R.

The worst news for you is that this vent hose being left off will in no way have a significant effect on how the engine runs - it WOULD have a big impact if it was kinked (diaphragms will not operate correctly) or routed down under the engine, but not if it is just left off. Maybe the other hose you have not yet found is balled up in there and kinked?

Not sure what else to tell you about it not running smoothly - could be anything. Especially after a moron has touched it. And if that mechanic was soooo stupid to not even recognize the vent/overflow tube, or maybe just very dishonest and lazy, then I wouldn't even begin to trust him to do a carb sync correctly.

That certainly was the right time for them to do the valve adjust, since everything had to be fully opened up anyway - would have only cost about 30 minutes more labor instead of the usual 4-6 hours. Unfortunately, you will never know just how lazy or incompetent that mechanic really was. Just keep your fingers crossed and do NOT miss the next regularly scheduled vale adjustment!

Goose

Sorry you're having these problems.

Just out of curiosity, why were the heads pulled?

Early 2007 models had a problem with improperly torqued heads - there was a reacall, but if they weren't caught soon enough to re-torque before the coolant leak started, they required replacement of the head gaskets.

Goose

• 4 weeks later...

Some folks like myself have the luxury of choosing from more than one "local" dealer. If it were me I would see what other dealers you have in the surrounding area. If you have another dealer that you would be willing to travel to call them and explain exactly what your situation is and see what they want to do about it. Assure them that this is an opportunity for them to gain a new long term customer. Do not do anything to your bike before you take it somewhere. Don't compromise the opportuntiy to show someone exactly how you recieved the bike back from the dealer.

In the case that you happen to live in an area that only has one dealer that is close enough for you to be willing to travel to you might start by talking to the service manager and explaining to them your situation and your level of dissatisfaction. If that doesn't seem to get you anywhere your next step would be to talk with the store manager ( who may end up referring you to the service manager). Then I would goto the owner if at all possible. Unless the owner of the store is an owner/operator expect to have to wait before having the opportunity to talk with them. Keep record of dates and times of coversations and also take notes as what was said by both parties. Make certain that you get the names of the persons to whom you are speaking. If all of this gets you nowhere you need to contact Yamaha. This is a warranty issue and needs to be taken care of before the warranty expires!

Please keep in mind that keeping your personal opinion as to the competance of a particular mechanic might be most beneficial in your dealings. Don't let the frustration of being messed around allow the conversations to become negative or heated/elevated. Control the coversations by keeping it proffesional. There is a difference between describing you level of dissatisfaction and getting frustrated and hostile. Also threatening them to go to another dealer or take this issue up with Yamaha will most likely get you nothing but grief in the end. Just thank whoever it is for thier time and move on the the next step. Keep in mind that if this issue has to go all the way to Yamaha to get resolved your most likely going to be directed back to the original dealer that you took your bike to in the first place; so remember to always keep your dealings as respectful as possible. This will eliminate the foot-in-mounth or tail-between-the-legs syndrome.

Sorry for the long winded response but I have had similair issues in the past and have always had good luck at keeping calm and reminding some of the employees and or owners why they are in business and who is keeping them in business. Good luck with gettting this isuue resolved in a timely matter. Hope that you are able to maintain a possitive customer relationship with your local dealership. The unfortonate truth these days is some dealers just don't care and probably never will. Another thing to keep in mind is that in my experience some dealerships are much more equipped to provide a great purchasing experience but lack the ability to follow through with qualified and professional technicians. Lets face the facts; our Yamahas aren't in the shop to much for anything more than general maintenace and the occasional warranty issue. Qualified technicains aren't cheap labor and to have them sitting costs the dealership money. That is why I have some local dealerships in my area that have an awesome showroom and even a really decent parts counter but really lack in the service department. Just my .99 cents.

If all else fails in the end the Brothers and Sisters of VentureRider will come through for you! Someone will bail you out and get this problem resolved in a hurry. Even if it required a complete teardown of your entire bike I know and am confident that there are many VentureRider pals that are not only willing to help out but very confident and qualified to help. VentureRider is truly a great place. Thanks to everyone everywhere for being so willing to share information and experience. This site has an overwhelming amount of information and a group of people willing to lend a helping hand.

:fingers-crossed-emo Keeping my fingers croosed that this issue is resolved seamlessly!