IGNORED

HD recall if you them tell them

Naked Rider

if you know some one with this year and make please tell them dont want anyone getting hurt no matter what they ride.

DETROIT (AP) - Harley-Davidson Inc. is recalling about 308,000 motorcycles to fix a switch problem that can cause failure of the brake lights and possibly even the rear brakes themselves.

The company said in documents filed last week with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that brake light switches can be exposed to too much heat from the exhaust system. The heat can cause the brake lights to fail, and the problem also can cause fluid leaks and the loss of rear brakes, the documents said.

The problem affects Touring, CVO Touring and Trike motorcycles from the 2009 through 2012 model years. They were built between June 6, 2008 and Sept. 16, 2011.

Harley says it will notify owners of the recall. Dealers will install a rear brake light switch kit free of charge.

The recall affects about 251,000 motorcycles in the U.S. alone, with the balance in other countries.

Harley said it noticed the problem in June of 2010 when it got a report of a Trike model motorcycle that lost its rear brakes due to the problem. The company began investigating, and in July of 2010, it sent investigators to a dealership in Louisiana to inspect another bike that was involved in a crash. Harley has not determined yet if the problem caused the Louisiana crash, which injured one person, company spokeswoman Maripat Blankenheim said Monday. She did not know how seriously the person was hurt, but said Harley is not aware of any other crashes or injuries.

Harley said in the documents that there have been no more reports of the problem occurring since July of 2010.

The company also said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that it expects the recall to cost $10 million to $12 million, which will be charged as an expense in the fourth quarter.

Shares of Harley-Davidson rose $1.22, or 3.2 percent, to $38.82 in afternoon trading Monday.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked with my dealer this morning. I am one of the lucky ones.....I get to get a new switch. Gotta check in with them on monday morning and set up a time. I guess it takes about a half hour plus another half hour for the free wash job! So there is a bonus I guess, other than the hour drive for me to get it to them. But at least I get it fixed rather than having a problem. And yes I heard about the recall here first.......Several HD forums are talking about it, sounds like most bikes affected are the ABS bikes.