IGNORED

Thinking about buying a 79 XS

tufftom4

I am in no way ready to ride again and would love to get another Venture but I don't think I could ever handle the weight of one with my shoulder the way it was reconstructed, so I found this 79 XS Eleven special. I have owned 2 one 79 and one 82 the 82 I took cross country. This one looks like showroom condition and is not far from me. What do you folks think.

Tom

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/2660049568.html

Edited by tufftom4

Very nice looking bike Tom, looks like its been fully restored with the exception of the road rash on the crash bars.........You will miss all the comfort and extras of the 1st gen, but if you don't think you can hold it up, I fully concur. Try a 1st gen after you are healed and ready to ride, you might be surprised. Hope its not another Craigslist scam.........

Good luck which ever way you go.

I am in now way ready to ride again and would love to get another Venture but I don't think I could ever handle the weight of one with my shoulder the way it was reconstructed, so I found this 79 XS Eleven special. I have owned 2 one 79 and one 82 the 82 I took cross country. This one looks like showroom condition and is not far from me. What do you folks think.

Tom

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/2660049568.html

If it runs and rides as good as it looks, I'd go for it. I had a dark blue '79 standard with the full fairing and saddle bags. Took it on a 2 up trip from Toledo, Ohio to the upper penisula of Michigan over to Wisconsin and down through Illinois, Indiana and back home to Toledo. Moved to southern California in '80, finally traded it for my '84 Venture Royale. Had a problem with 2nd gear similar to the MKI 1st gens.

That XS 11 had serious power and speed. If it hadn't had the gear box problem I probably would have ridden it longer. It certainly is a different ride than a RSV or 1st gen. Venture, but it should turn heads (as well as some respectable 1/4 mile times if you so desire). If you get it, enjoy!:happy34:

If it runs out good and the price is in you range, I would buy it. I have a 80 XS and a 81 XS parts bike. I have done a 650 mile day on one, but it was 25 years ago. Now anything over 250 miles would be tough.

Earl:thumbsup2:

It sure is pretty! Tom, the only negative thing I can say is that the XS-750, 850, and 11's have 2 of the same problems that the Mk I first gens have....the soft 2nd gear thrust washer and the driveshaft coupling that you have to pull apart every 10K and grease. If the previous owner can tell you that the driveshaft coupling has been PM'd correctly (not greased via the zerk fitting like we thought you should be doing) go for it. The XS-11's were fun bikes.

Frank D.

*Sigh* I miss chrome fenders!! That bike looks pristine! As mentioned, the only downside is it's not a touring bike and not designed to ride all day on. I almo0st bought one of the later "California" editions which were black 1100's with gold trim on the chrome. Ended up buying a '83 Honda CX 650 in pristine shape instead, and wonder if I would have been happier with the XS1100 instead for $500 more than I paid for the Honda...

Thats a beauty Tom. I would like to have one of them but....Anyway as for your thoughts on your shoulder I felt the same way with leg, shoulder and hip being busted. But give it time to heal and don't rush it. It is going to take some time. I won't say the shoulder can be as good as new because it probally won't. I don't have any trouble with the bike (I watch it at low speed and don't get into tight turns to the right if I can keep from it. But with luck and a few Prayers from here I do OK. Getting back to the weight room was one of my fears. I've heard a lot of popping and cracking this week but so far except for little fall with barbell yesterday I'm doing Great!! Give it time and see what happens. There are still a few good 1st Gens out there.:whistling:

I really think the trouble I've had with the bike is my fault. When I got back to where I should be doing something I stayed in that chair with the remote too long. I'm not trying to tell you to rush things but a little of the right kind of exercise with keep you from loosing all your strength. And it will sneak up on you. Please don't take this the wrong way and try to push things too fast. That too can cost you big time and is what put me back in the chair to begin with. I didn't listen to the docs!!

I still feel the steel I have too Tom but it gets better slowly. The socket on my shoulder was split and the shoulder blade was broken off where it joins the joint and the blade itself was broken. Leg was crushed and hip was fractured. Ribs were broken. Don't think I'll ever forget I have it but its starting to work better and the weight room is going pretty good except for the tumble I took last night. And it was my fault. I knew better than to try what I was. Leg is swollen good this morning and reminds me every time I step on it. I thank God and all the prayers from this site every day.

IF that's a "current" set of pictures and if that IS the bike for sale, I'd say "DO IT!" The bike in the pic's is beautiful and if this is a real deal, you should be able to get a LOT of fun miles out of this bike!! (Pardon if I sound skeptical, but it really looks "too good" and that, plus the craigslist listing ...) Anyway, check it out!. IF you buy it be sure to do a fluids change, including brake fluid, oil, rear end, etc.

I think I will start a new thread and instead of a M/E or Maint day I will get a cripple get together day.... :whistling:

I'm hoping by Spring I won't have to attend that one!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Just take it one day at a time Tom. That is a beauty of a bike. I would love to have one of those. Stoplight to stoplight a 1st Gen don't want nothing to do with them.:whistling:Did I say that??:think:

*Sigh* I miss chrome fenders!! That bike looks pristine! As mentioned, the only downside is it's not a touring bike and not designed to ride all day on. I almo0st bought one of the later "California" editions which were black 1100's with gold trim on the chrome. Ended up buying a '83 Honda CX 650 in pristine shape instead, and wonder if I would have been happier with the XS1100 instead for $500 more than I paid for the Honda...

Riding all day on them is not a major issue.

Few ever actually do it anyway :)

I did a SaddleSore 1000 on my XS750 in March this year, and that was on a seat I built myself.

Go get a Russell Day Long and ride all day.

It looks like a ground up restoration.

If it really looks like that in the flesh, then the price is probably less than half the restoration cost.

If you want an XS11 then I doubt you will find a better one, and the price looks good for what is basically a "better than new" bike.