IGNORED

Talcott WV

Galapagos

A friend and I are planning a spring trip to Talcott WV down RT 16 from the Ohio River.

I am trying to avoid Summerville and Gauley Bridge. Gauley Bridge has 750 resisdents. They write more speeding tickets than anywhere in the state or WV. They write MORE than the state capitol city.

I would be coming from the Cleveland Ohio area and want to avoid these spots. Any suggestions from our WV brothers? I want to take 16 down so I can see the folks and turn off before the traps. 16 is also just a great road.

Thanks,

Geo

Rt. 16 is a great ride. I do enjoy riding to Gauley Bridge, cutting across Rt. 60 ( Midland Trail ). But if you would like to avoid Gauley Bridge, then take Rt. 16 from St. Marys to I-79 go North get off at the Burnsville Exit, take Rt. 5 west to Glenville WV, take 33/119 north to Linn, catch Rt. 47 west back to Rt. 16 intersection at Smithville, stay on Rt. 47 until you come to Parkersburg and I-77. I have made this trip several times. I live near Grantsville WV. Yammer Dan lives near I-79 exit ( I think. ) Skid lives near Flatwoods, and so does Grindo. Enjoy the trip, watch for our wildlife!

But, your destination is Talcott, stay on Rt. 16 south, until you get to Dixie WV, then make a left on to Co. Rt. 2/Cannalton Hollow Rd, going pass the Mt. Olive Correctional Center, when you get to Smithers you will take Rt. 60 to 61 follow 61 to Oak Hill catch Rt. 19 to Shady Spring follow Rt. 3 to Talcott. ( this would be the scenic trip ). Safe Riding.

Rick.

Edited by CalhounWV

Shoot me your phone # again Calhoun. I know where you live off RT 16 and would like to stop in Grantsville and have lunch with you in the spring. It would be a pleasure to meet you.

I see some reataurants have closed in Grantsville. Anything still open?

Also I am coming down Thanksgiving to see the folks and hunt a some deer. Maybe we can hook up.

Geo

304 three five four 914 zero @home

three zero four 354 six six five one @ office

there are a couple still open, Momma T's on Rt. 16, Ginos in Grantsville and Fat Matt's in Grantsville.

The Y-restaurant is a good choice open in Arnoldsburg Rt. 16

Just my two cents, buy bypassing Summersville you will miss alot of beautiful territory. It's really not speed trap, it is a four lane highway with several red lights and people refuse to obey the over-sized speed limit signs. Many people had been killed because of running the red lights, so there is no trap to it as long as a person follows the 50 mph speed limit.

Obey the laws of the road if you worry about being pulled over and enjoy the ride and the scenery.................

Just my two cents, buy bypassing Summersville you will miss alot of beautiful territory. It's really not speed trap, it is a four lane highway with several red lights and people refuse to obey the over-sized speed limit signs. Many people had been killed because of running the red lights, so there is no trap to it as long as a person follows the 50 mph speed limit.

I've been through there many times, not once have I, or any one I know, gotten speeding tickets ...

As Skid alluded to, "oversized" speed limit signs are a "sign" that they really, really , mean it and to please slow down.... That being said, with the lake and all congestion being right there, some people still ignore them and then complain when they are ticketed...

I will mostly agree with what Skid said. Just watch the speed thru there it is not that bad but a easy area to let it roll a little faster than you intend. I got stopped there in about 99 but didn't get a ticket. Just watch the speed limit signs and you will see some great sights.

I agree that running the speed limit keeps you out of trouble. I usually drive under the limit.

I am also a former police officer. I have seen the abuse someone can do with a little authority.

Gauley Bridge and Summerville are notorious for being a speed trap. I was just asking about an alternative route from the locals.

Summersville just watch speed. Gauley Bridge just don't breathe!! And Smithers. Both pretty tough. They will get you for 1 mph over espically if you are wearing a uniform in Smithers. I wouldn't worry a lot if you stay on 16 they are not that bad. I would stay away from Smithers or stay 2 or 3 mph under. But it is just a spot in the road.