I have been on Harley's for the last 10 years and have grown weary of the arrogance, both in the other riders and unfortunately myself as well. I am shifting in a Yamaha direction, great bikes. I am very diligent concerning maintenance and am not a racer. I will turn 20,000 a year though, all over the US and Canada. I am looking at the Venture. What kind of life expectancy, long term reliability, etc can I expect.

200k is not unusual for these bikes. The engines are pretty much bullet proof. Most of them that are retired before then would be from accidents of lack of use. Abuse from lack of use is just as bad as regular abuse if you ask me.This site has most of the gotcha's on it somewhere.

100,000 miles on a Venture is just average - not high mileage at all. I cannot say from experience, but I would expect 200,000 - 300,000 miles out of this engine before significant internal work was required. Of course, that assumes the bike is ridden regularly and properly maintained and not left to sit and rot as many bikes are.

Goose

Before you test ride these bikes, be sure to do a little research here and look at the threads concerning power, performance and shift points. These bikes have LOTS of power, but if you ride it like a big twin, you will think it is a dog.

Also pay attention to the tires on the bike. If they are Brickstone Excedras, the bike will feel ultra heavy and handle very poor at low speed compared to any other tire. I'm just saying do NOT form any opinion about how they handle if they have crappy skins! It may be tough to believe that the difference could be so great as I am saying, but keep an open mind until you ride one with either Avon Venom or Dunlop E3 tires.

Also, avoid any bike that has a lowering kit on it unless your legs are just too short for the standard machine. You can quickly tell the difference by looking at the rear brake. Stock rear suspension is with the brake caliper above the swing arm - a lowering kit will move it below the arm. Good luck in finding what you want.

Goose

Just rolled 100,000 on mine and will be taking it to Alaska next year (7-8000 mile round trip) without hesitation. Change the oil and pumpkin lube, periodically throw on some new shoes, and ride it like you stole it.

Maintenance is fairly straight forward and you have really great group of VR guys (and gals) down there in Tejas. Lots of knowledge and experience on keeping these fine machines running as long as you want them to run.

If'n you are buying new (or even fairly new), they come with a transferable 5 year warranty.

It also makes a pretty good long distance steed (talkin' 'bout Iron Butt stuff here).

This is the best family forum to help you with spending your hard earned dollars on shiny bits and comfort accessories.

Welcome.

RR

Like what I'm seeing so far. I want something ultra reliable and durable. V4 sounds like the ticket.

Don't forget it is also liquid cooled and shaft drive !

There are a few things to watch out for... clutch whine is one on some bikes (not all models but on some the 99-1x bikes. If buying used take it for a ride and listen as you go thru the gears... but rev it higher than you would a v-twin. Going to 60mph in 2nd isn't a strain on this bike.

If you regularily ride 2-up your passenger will appreciate the seat comfort and the space.

As for the members on this site... you'll get maintenance tips and instructions, riding buddies, ice cream runs are a regular meet, Maintenance Days at Freebirds, International meets, riding tips, travel advice..... even medical diagnosis. And if you need to build a garage, ask Yammer Dan for contractor advice !

Welcome to the Family!!! Like has been said, these things are bullet proof... and there are a mess of us that live close by to help ya spend your $$$ LOL, I have a fairly large maint. Day at my place every March, but we are always messing with some bodies bike, be it Tires, Carbs, what ever, so you don`t have to wait for a maint. day to do the work. We will ride just about anywhere for BlueBell iceCream, or to dunk some folks in the Brazos river... Join up!! It will be the best $12.00 that you have ever spent!!

Again, Welcome!!

Do you have a bike in your sights??? There are a few in the clasifieds on this site, not sure of local, any way, if you do join, you will not regret it..

Wow, great responses from you guys. I may drag out the checkbook before the day is over. My favorite words "Bullet Proof"

Yamaha has the best warranty on the market for new motorcycles.. 5 year Unlimited mileage warranty! Only on the Venture motor will you find this warranty That alone alto show you how well these motors hold up

About the time you redo the jugs & rings on a HD engine say around 80,000-100,000 if your lucky? these Venture motors are just getting broke in only other motor that I see standing with the Venture as for say bullet proof is the GL1500 or GL1800 Honda motor on the Gold Wing/Valkyrie series motorcycles

Test ride a Venture and once you open it up on the Hwy or Interstate I mean open it up twist that throttle wide open and shift those gears let the beast out you will not hurt these motors I promise you these motors love HIGH RPM's and it will be begging for more throttle every time!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not ride it like a V-Twin it will lug on you every time its power is in the high rpm's test ride one and you will see what I mean

Harley Davidson riders called it the "Beast"

you can ride all day long on the Interstate doing 80 MPH or more and these motors will not even break a sweat!! my Midnight loved it around 80 - 85 mph that 2003 Midnight I had purred like a kitten at those speeds man it was smooth sure do miss that beast.

Pretty much go by what the guys stated earlier as for what to look for and you will do just fine.

Also stated there are Ventures for sale here in Venturerider.org ! if there's any close by check them out !!

Oh and welcome to the family !!! hope to meet you at one of the Meets or Rallies? heck we may make our own meet LOL

Buddy

Edited by buddy

I'm getting convinced I need to join the Venture Family just by the type of responses I'm getting with this post. Informative, enthusiastic, way cool. Thanks All, Have a Blessed Day All of You

There have been some deals on new 2011 Ventures on ebay lately, real tempting...

Remember to post pictures of your new ride when you get it.

The Venture is the bike you will either love or walk away from. The bike is heavy and unforgiving at low speed mistakes. Three weak points with the Venture are: Ignition switch, fuel pump,and low capacity electrical system. A bypass switch for the ignition switch will keep you from being stranded. Likewise an after market fuel pump carried on the bike is good insurance as well. LED's reduce the load on the electrical system and improve your visibility as well as helping you be seen.

The rear brake may lock up on you if ya romp on that brake pedal....Practice your braking technique and modify as needed to bring the Beast to a safe stop for any road/weather condition.

Riding comfort is excellent once the Butler Seat Mod is done and you have the handlebars adjusted to YOU.

As others have stated here....Don't be afraid to roll that throttle. This bike thrives and runs best at high RPM's....Cruising at 90 in 4th gear is a pure joy!

I have 62K on my Venture and look forward to turning 200K on it someday.

Welcome to the Forum and the VentureRider family. You'll go far before you find this many great folks and guys who KNOW these bikes inside out.

Boomer....who sez pygmies love Ventures too.:whistling:

Some will have a rear shock go bad. 500 a pop. Mine went bad but I was still in the 5 year warranty. If you buy new or reasonably new then your covered for that for a while. I really don't find the bike any heavier than any other bike weighing in at 900 lbs fueled up. Mine has been on its crashbars more than a couple of times and I'm pretty sure I'm not done dropping it.

I've never dropped mine, knock on asphalt. . . But I just bought a new bike and I must say the 89 was easier to ride at slow speeds. Thinking of the mod to raise it an inch in the back to see how this goes.

I just rode two and a half hours yesterday in Illinois on a 40 degree day in the wind and rain and she drove great. A backrest is a must have and the forum and the people on it are great also. . .

I've never dropped mine, knock on asphalt. . . But I just bought a new bike and I must say the 89 was easier to ride at slow speeds. Thinking of the mod to raise it an inch in the back to see how this goes.

I just rode two and a half hours yesterday in Illinois on a 40 degree day in the wind and rain and she drove great. A backrest is a must have and the forum and the people on it are great also. . .

Do you want your 89 back yet???:whistling:

Steve,

As Kreg mentioned, there is a good amount of us in the Houston area. I'm in Conroe as well as Jus Monkeyin Around, Gunboat is in Cleveland, Kregerdoodle is in Waller, Dave77459 is in Sugarland, Pktexas is southside Houston...there's a lot of us that like to ride and get together for bike maintenance or just to go eat and put a few miles on.

I personally have had 8 Ventures, 4 of them being 2nd gens. They are a great machine and like everyone mentioned...bulletproof. I sold an '89 1st gen with 110K on the clock and it would take down just about anything I wanted to play with, they run that good with over 100K on them. It's the most comfortable bike out of the box that I have ridden. I love the feet fwd design and my wife loves the passenger ergonomics.

Hopefully we'll see you soon at one of the meets and eats and you can get a feel for us. By all means if you have other questions ask them, lots of experience on this site thats more than willing to help....

Bought my 02 Venture in March of this year with 50,000 miles on it and it now has about 75k. Other than normal maintenance I had to replace the rear shock and rear wheel bearings.

Like everyone else has said, overall the bike really is bullet proof and is great eating up a ton of miles for rider and passenger. I look forward to many more 25K mile years on it.

Good luck.