OK, I'm new(oob) to this forum so maybe I'm just not adept at searching yet but I'm sure I saw a thread with instructions and part numbers for replacing the shifter segment with a VMax or later model Venture. This is to fix the loose dowel pin issue.

Ride safe,

Mike

There is also a quick fix for it. Just put the pin back in and rebend tabs to hold it? I'm not sure about this I'm sure someone that has done it will ring in.

Yep...that was my intention but I want a long term fix as well.

Ride safe,

Mike

do you have the Yami manual, not hayne, not clymer? it shows the location somewhere. I had to do tranny work. I honestly do not remember if what you are looking for...easy access, is doable. But the Manual from yamaha will show what's accessable. .......IMHO- Lastly my dowl pins we fine after 70k +. These wear due to lack of oil changes or wrong type of oil. Or maybe constant shifting.

Hey All,

Pretty sure I read here somewhere that you can take the rifght side engine/clutch cover with the bike on the side stand without loosing any oil. Can someone confirm that for me??

Ride safe,

Mike

You will loose very little. Keep a old coffee cup or something like that handy. Oil level not more than 1/2 way up sight glass?

Took the cover off and lost zeero oil:). Now I'm stuck (no manual Jason)...not sure how the linkages come out to aloow removal of the segment? Sure I saw a post showing this but can't remember what thread.

BTW...the segment looks waaaay smaller than I expected from the photos I've seen.

Ride safe,

Mike

PS; Has anyone been successful at reteiving one of these dowel pins from the sump?? I'll have to bring home my magnet from work tomorrow.

Edited by Yamamike

Magnet has worked for several. One of those telescoping wands??

OK...tried two different type/size magnets and almost got one of them wedged in there! Thought I was gonna have to do more disassembling but finally got it out. The profile of that oil pan is not exactly flat!! Lotsa places for that little pin to hide. I'm just a little worried about leaving the dang thing in there.

I did find a source for metric dowel pins so I'm gonna replace it, put her back together and make sure everything works before I order the VMax parts.

Ride safe,

Mike

MiCarl,

Not so much the oil pump I'm worried about as all the linkages and gears in there but it should stay down where it is (unless I drop the bike or something:shock3:).

Found a 4mm x 20mm dowel pin at one of my hardware suppliers for work and ground it down to the right lenght. Put it in, bent all the tabs back the way they should be and guess what...it goes through all 5 gears:dancefool:. Put the clutch back together and she's ready to roll...sadly I'll be out of town for the next couple days so I won't be able to take her out for a spin to confirm.

Ride safe,

Mike

Edited by Yamamike

I think I dun done a booboo! When i removed the clutch to fix the missing shifter pin problem, the idiot in my head was not listening to the mechanic in there and did not pay attention to where the thrust plate (item#2 in parts list). It's a washer with splines on inner diameter. I consulted the parts list to make sure I was re-assembling in the proper sequence and that shows the plate/washer between the primary (item 1) and secondary (item 3) clutch baskets. My problem is that if you do this the washer goes past the splines on the shaft and is very floppy on the shaft. That just does not seem right so I installed it after the secondary basket. If this is incorrect then I suspect I'll have some major slippage (or worse) happening.:confused24:

HELP!!

Ride safe,

Mike

PS: I woulda attached a copy of the parts list page in question but I ain't figured that out yet!

Edited by Yamamike