IGNORED

Better Venture / Goldwing Comparision for your Specific year

GolfVenture

I think that a more fun and fair comparison should be more apples to apples. Give your experience and opinion for your specific year.

I purchased a new 80 Goldwing and love it. I did not like the other competitor’s models at all if they actually had a competitor. I think that the only competitor was the BMW and that time I think BMW was the sport touring standard. BMW just was too expensive for me; also I really did not like the BMWs lines. Just one complaint and that is the 80 Goldwings cornering capabilities. I’m no hot dog but one main fun part of motorcycling was cornering. The cornering ability of the 80 Goldwing caught me my surprised, after the purchase.

The 80 Goldwing was my 1st Honda for previously I owned a small 1969 90cc Kawasaki then a 1974 Yamaha TX500 then a 1974 Yamaha YZ125. So I did not have a Honda preference.

I sold my 80 Goldwing for raising a family. 27 years later I got the Touring Bike itch with some nostalgic feelings. I wanted my 80 Goldwing back for nostalgic reasons and wanted to own a collectable. It was kind of like wanting to have your 57 Chev back. I found some beautiful 80 Goldwings, however in my search, the Yamaha Venture surfaced. I recalled in 83 when the Venture was introduced and Wow I wanted one even though I was selling my 80 Goldwing.

I toss and turned between the 80’s Goldwing and the Venture MKI or MKII. Did a lot of soul searching and settled on the MKII. Like make vehicles history the design goes through some ugly years. Like the Mustang, some of the Mustang’s years were butt ugly. The Goldwing outwardly design changed a lot between 1980 and 1993 and I did not like most of those years design. I’m limiting to 1980 thru 1993 for my purchased, for the MKI and MKII looks are really similar, and in my pocket books range.

The MKII got most of the points. I personally liked its design better than the Goldwings, but the Goldwings reverse weighted in very heavily. Then the Goldwings cornering ability came into play. Venture was more top heavy, The engine size really was not a factor for the 80 Wings 1100cc was plenty for me. I would have given the MKI more consideration but the famous 2nd rear issue really done it in. Also the Goldwings seems to be in general more expensive than the Venture in similar condition. Oh I also did like the Wings plastic for the sole purpose when cleaning the bike, But then the plastics took away from the motorcycle looks.

So would I prefer my 89 Venture to a Goldwing up to 1993. The Venture won.

Now today if I were to buy a new bike and I could afford it. The choice would be between the BMW and the Goldwing and without any test drives yet I’m leaning to the Goldwing. Maybe I should just ride into the BMW and Honda dealer for a test drive. Then maybe I better not, For what I don’t know and experience won’t hurt me. Todays Venture would not even be in the selection. I’ve heard many talk about the riding comfort. I’ve never really had an issue with comfort for I seem to adapt to the Bikes configuration.

So there, you have my apple to apple comparision.

What is your apple to apple comparision?

Well for me I wanted a bike that's not as top heavy as the RSV but I also wanted the Gold Wing ride yet the fairing on Gold wing would put my knees in a bind when stretched out and cause them to swell up what to do?

Found my ride it has the Venture design and Gold Wing ride all in one

Honda Valkyrie Interstate

Yes its top heavy but nothing like the Venture well balanced! and no full fairing either to cause problems for my knees!

plus it has the Wing power but on steroids

Wings worst nightmare is when the Valkyrie came out if the designer of the Valkyrie had not died I see it out selling the Wing today!

I love the RSV but its too top heavy for me if not for that I would still have my Midnight in the garage!

Hey Golf&Venture, are you saying you did or did not like the handling of the '80 Wing?

My 87 VR is the only touring bike I've owned, and I like it quite a bit! I really only bought it because it was available and the price was right. I did take a short ride on an 1800 Wing - holy cow, what a nice ride. Fast, handles nice, and did I say FAST? My wife was with me and she thought the VR was more comfy for her, which is good 'cause I really don't want to spend the money on a Wing. ;)

Jeremy

Wings worst nightmare is when the Valkyrie came out if the designer of the Valkyrie had not died I see it out selling the Wing today!

You can believe that all you want, but if that is true then why didn't the Valk outsell the Wing from 1999-2002 when the Valk was being made? It did NOT, otherwise greedy mother Honda would not have dropped production. The designer's death did not kill the bike. I am sure that there are 100 hungry Japanese designers who could have carried the product forward.

The Valk was discontinued for only one reason, it did not have the sales numbers to convince Honda to keep building it.

Don't get me wrong, Buddy. I happen to think that the Valk Interstate is one of the greatest bikes ever built. But that doesn't always translate to a successful sales model.

Just my :2cents:

You can believe that all you want, but if that is true then why didn't the Valk outsell the Wing from 1999-2002 when the Valk was being made? It did NOT, otherwise greedy mother Honda would not have dropped production. The designer's death did not kill the bike. I am sure that there are 100 hungry Japanese designers who could have carried the product forward.

The Valk was discontinued for only one reason, it did not have the sales numbers to convince Honda to keep building it.

Don't get me wrong, Buddy. I happen to think that the Valk Interstate is one of the greatest bikes ever built. But that doesn't always translate to a successful sales model.

Just my :2cents:

Really? Why is it you see used Interstates selling faster than Gold Wings today

When I bought my Valkyrie I/S from the dealer they only had it listed for 2 days Dennis the salesman said he wished the Gold Wings would move that fast each time he had a chance to list a Interstate it was sold within a weeks time and he had 6 used Gold Wings in stock plus 4 new one's as well! Don't get me wrong I love the Wing!

that's my :2cents: :rotfl:

I had to oppertunity to own (for 1 month) both, an 07 Venture and a 08 Goldwing.

I too had a very hard time deciding on which one to keep.

I do believe the Venture handled the long haul better than the wing. It is a great road bike. The wide front end, larger tire, and the way I set on the Venture were all a plus for me.

The wing being fuel injected, not as top heavy, and having 40K less miles than my Venture swayed me toward the wing. I do like the feel of the wing as it is very quick and can be a lot of fun to ride but the Venture just felt good going down the road and the cross wind does not affect the Venture nearly as bad asit does the Goldwing.

If I had not found such a good deal on the 08, I would be happy to have continued to ride my Venture. It is a great bike. :safemotorcycle:

Hey Golf&Venture, are you saying you did or did not like the handling of the '80 Wing?

Jeremy

I liked the handling of the 80 Wing except the draging of the center kick stand (I think). It dragged something both sides taking the sweeping corners going into Mt Rainier National Park to Paradise.

I also liked the smoothness of the Wing better than my 89 Venture. But I also like the little bit of the thump, thump one can feel from the Venture during low speed accerlation.

I own among other bikes a 2004 goldwing and a 2007 venture midnight.

The Venture is by far the more comfortable ride for long distance has a better ride and enough room for my legs to sit comfortably.

The goldwing engine and transmission is far better than the venture's

Ideally the Goldwings engine and transmission in a venture chasis would make my life complete (if only it was that simple).

I owned a 82 goldwing kept it for a month or so sold it at a profit but never really liked the bike. You can test ride many bikes and like them but you need to put a couple weeks straight on them to know if you really like them, unfortunately the 82 goldwing just wasn't my cup of tea

I also own a 92 Venture Royale and so far I like it a lot but I have been restoring it and do not have a lot of saddle time on it

never met a bike I truely disliked

Al

• 2 months later...

My old man has always had a series of motorcycles since well before i was born. He has had anything between Kawasaki Voyagers, to Ventures, to every model of goldwing available. (He never did like the 12s though, the only Gold Wing i havent ridden on) Of course by riding i dont mean piloting, but riding on the back, I am only 18 mind you. But i've ridden a 1000 Gold Wing, a 1500, an 1800, and a 1200 venture. (If we're just counting Touring Bikes)

I always liked the ventures the most because of their style, comfort, and the fact that they are different from the norm. My favorite gold wings are the 1800's because they feel much sportier than the 1500's but are a little bit stiffer. The way the engine is placed in the goldwing gives them a low, swaying bag type of feeling. I like the Venture because, although they are top heavy, they are much, much more agile than the Goldwings. Also on a long ride, i believe they are more comfortable as well.

That is my apples to apples opinion

Not gonna talk about my 83 Aspencade, 85 & 87 Ventures .... just the '06 RSMV and the '03 GL1800.

I had the RSMV for 3 years. It was practically new when I got it. Loved the looks of the bike, hated the handling. Loved the power, hated the clutch basket whine. Loved the floorboards, etc ... hated the seat and handlebar position. For me, it was a "love-hate" situation with that bike. I modified this, adjusted that, and added stuff but up until the day I sold it, I would think to myself as I headed out for a ride.... "will I love or hate this bike today?".

I now have this '03 Wing. All I can say is three words .... "I love it". It looks great (mostly due to the color which I love), it handles like a crotch rocket and is effortless and tons easier to handle at low speeds than the RSMV was, the power of this bike is amazing and can even be scary, I wasn't too sure about the seat at first but I find I can ride a lot longer on it than I could on the RSMV even after modifying the seat and adding a backrest to the RSMV. This could be due to the foot position on the Wing which forces me to sit straighter. I did add handle-bar risers to the Wing. At this point, I have experienced nothing about the Wing that might cause me to "hate" it.

The guy who said that he had never met a bike he didn't hate, never met my Jawa 250 California!

As much reading as I do, and a fair bit of riding too the conventional wisdom appears to suggest the the Gold Wing / Venture Royale battle was a repeat of the Betamax/VHS fight before it.

The better bike lost out to the better marketing. As an aside, HArley have built an entire industry on the same principle.

Up to about 1989 there is a clear bias towards favouring the VR. To be fair, most reports are Written by professional riders who tend to value riding characteristics above most things. The VR wins that one fairly comfortably.

For pure touring it's less clear. Honda is Honda and their fit, finish and attention to detail are legendary. On the other hand, they are expensive and heavy.

After '89 Honda launched the 1500 and the war was over. Gold Wing won. It was simply better, and built in the US. It's probably true that Yamaha didn't have the sales they needed to continue the development of the VR and keep it ahead of the Gold Wing. I wish they had, it would have given us more choice and more competition for the makers.

The modern touring Yamahas don't even come close. They bow way too much to the "cruiser" market styling and that compromises the basic purpose. If you want real competition to the Gold Wing then you really have to look to BMW and the K1200LT ... and the new K1600.

So ... up to '89 I am sticking with the Yamaha. After that date the choice is harder but I would probably be looking at the Gold Wing or the BMW K1100

my 2c.