IGNORED

center stand problem

latchkey

i put a center stand on my bike. problem 1- cant get it on stand by myself and iam a big guy. problem 2-stand hits a 2.5 or 3 inch clylinder type thing on right side of bike which really doesnt allow it to go all the way up to bike frame. so i drag stand a lot. can the clylinder thing be moved? stand from ponch who make a good stand.any info on this would be great. thanks

Installation of the center stands on 2ndGens all have that problem if they are smog emissions equiped. Attached is a copy of the installation of a Rivco CT. Maybe it'll help, and yes the valve can be relocated.

thanks for the info,from what i read my 07rsv has the califormia fuel tank vent canister on it . will try to remount it farther over.

" problem 1- cant get it on stand by myself and iam a big guy."

Cut yourself a 9 1/4 inch long piece of 2x4 and keep it in the saddle bag. Put the said 2x4 under your rear tire and pull the bike onto the 2x4. Then get a very good hold on the handle bar and the rear bag guard. Pull the bike as you put pressure on the stand. Make sure the center stand is firm on both legs onto the ground, you can feel this, then heaf ho.

You also can use this same said piece of 2x4 to prop up (on the frame) the bikes front wheel off the ground while you clean it or repair a tire leak to get you home. This is the purpose of the 9 1/4 inch length. I also carry a small DC type plug in air compressor in my saddle bag and also a tire repair plug kit.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59721

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I have a Diamond R (discontinued) centerstand on my 06 RSTD. I am 5'8" and 170#. I have found that getting the bike up is not strength, but technique.

With bike on the side stand, place left hand on left handlebar. Right hand on saddlebag guard, knuckles facing forward. Place right foot, facing forward on centerstand. While pressing down on centerstand, stand bike vertical until it is on the centerstand. Now, lift with your right hand while pushing down and forward with your right foot. The bike will pop right up. I have a harder time getting the bike off of the centerstand than I do getting it on it.

Guest Slab_Ryder

I agree with Leland. It's all technique. I have one installed on my 08 Venture. Go to the Rivco Site, download their instructions. You have to move something on the right side of the Bike, as I recall. I LOVE my Center Stand, and it's on it nearly EVERY night. Here is the link:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=220&page=1

I agree with the other posters. It is technique. Make sure both legs (feet) of the stand are touching ground before you put your weight on the stand to lift the bike. This takes a little practice. Then while you keep the bike balanced and centered on the stand aggressively let your weight do the lifting. The bike will kind of pop up onto the stand. It is a little scary at first.

Also as said earlier. Relocate the offending valve.

After the center stand is installed you will see that is is not centered on the frame of the bike. This caused me to sometimes drag the right side center stand foot. I worried about it becoming an anchor so I ground of some of the lip on the edge of the foot. This created a smooth surface so that even if it rubs it won't be like a hook.

Good Luck with your project.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I wish I had seen that center stand auction for St. Jude (http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65614&highlight=center+stand+auction)! I've recently purchased a 99 RSV and would like a center stand for doing maintenance.

Are there other options for center stands, other than Rivco's?:

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=60&cat=220&page=1

I suspect I'll have to do the adaptation to the right-side mounted hindrance mentioned above, but I'll follow the guidance you all so graciously provide. Thanks!