IGNORED

Has anyone tried using this GPS software

saddlebum

I found this software program for GPS's. It is a route planner that is supposed to be compatible with both Garmin and TomTom and works in conjunction with Google earth and Google maps. You are supposed to be able to plot out your route and then upload it to your GPS. I am curious If anyone is familiar with it and have tried it.

Here is the link to tyre's home page http://www.tyre.tk/

It would seem to me (unless I misunderstood) that you would not have to keep updating your gps maps either if using this program. I have an old TOM TOM that I thought I would try it out on

I have been using it for years and it works well for me. TomTom will only accept so many waypoint so you have to watch how many you place, but it is easy to place way points to make your own route. Just zoom in and make sure your waypoint isn't taking you back the wrong way (the wrong side of multilane hwy's.). Use it with my TomTom Rider.

I've used it for a little over a year and have come to depend on it so much that i couldn't live without it.

I usually create a route in google maps, then import it into tyre to create a gpx file to be copied to my Garmin.

I have it an d use it often. Was a little tricky at first but after fooling around with it a bit found it very easy to use. You can also use HD Trip Planning web site to create a route, save it, and export the GPX file to convert for TomTom use. I have a small laptop that I carry on both my bikes with all my routes and software saved for multi-day travel.

Just a thought guys next time you upgrade your cell phone go with an I_PHONE Built in GPS no extra charges always up to date because you use google GPS or Mapquest it talks to you just like any other GPS and if you make a wrong turn it updates and tells you what to do My son has an android and it also does the same thing If you want you can connect the I-phone throught the cassette Apple makes $12 adapter for it and all the sound comes out your speakers My daughter has a 96 Cherokee and has a cassette adaptr in it and plays music and everything through it and can switch to any app like the google GPS it's like killing many birds with one stone GPS, Camera, MP3 player and phone all in one also you can switch to an online radio station if you prefer talk radio or news etc.......:lightbulb::lightbulb::lightbulb:

Cell phone GPS systems are NOT a replacement for a true GPS unit, at least for ME. On a true GPS I can plan a route with waypoints and travel the way I want to. On my android phone using the built in navigation, all you can do is take the route that the phone gives you....well, it does give 3 route options to choose from. But if none of those use the curvy, scenic routes I want to take then I'm out of luck.

I'll stick with my Garmin until the phone based GPS systems "grow up".