Made white faceplate labels for 83 dash similar to Reddevilmedic

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63342

Difference is I completely removed the face plate, Not for faint of heart pulling needles.

Then I used the dreaded brake fluid to completely removing the original silk screen printing from the faces, leaving clear plastic glass.

Then applied the white vinyl labels, and reassembled.

Now my blue LED back lighting shines thru the vinyl label completely lighting up the gages.

Major improvement IMO.

I got to admit I like the look .... a LOT! The dash display on mine is dim enough to be an issue and have been watching what you guys have been doing.

But......... I have concerns over the blue back lights. Blue seems to have an rather nasty side effect on our night vision. I had a single blue LED light in one of my rocker switches that drove me nuts. Extremely bright. Had to go.

Let us know if you notice any effect on your night vision. I am curious.

But in any case you did a nice job. Looks good.

Mike

I got to admit I like the look .... a LOT! The dash display on mine is dim enough to be an issue and have been watching what you guys have been doing.

But......... I have concerns over the blue back lights. Blue seems to have an rather nasty side effect on our night vision. I had a single blue LED light in one of my rocker switches that drove me nuts. Extremely bright. Had to go.

Let us know if you notice any effect on your night vision. I am curious.

But in any case you did a nice job. Looks good.

Mike

Mike,

Found something interesting while doing this. The OE face has many layer of silkscreen, with a yellow screen behind all the white numbers/lines, and most of the numbers and lines are blacked out except a 10moh segment at about 60-70 mph and 1000rpm segment at 1500-2500 rpm. by OE design, these are about all that is designed to light up, and nothing on the temp and volt gages.

My method, of vinyl over CLEAR face plexiglass would allow the whole face to light up even with your stock bulbs.

Pic is later model 91? tach rear, but you get the idea. 83 blackout yellow screen was worse

looks great! i might take mine back apart and redo them! so you wiped off all the old numbers with brake fluid? if so, cool. i didnt like the line up of the vinyl on my 83. old numbers shown thru cuz its for the 86-up. i have to solder in some jumpers anyhow for h.i.d. and led's.

Edited by reddevilmedic