IGNORED

Higher mileage scaring me? Should it?

I am in the market of buying a '99 -'03 RSV. My price range is 4,000 to 5,500 dollars. In that price I will be getting a RSV with 50,000 to 75,000 miles. To me .....that's higher miles on a bike.....but I know these Engines/Trans/Drivelines are good for 200,000 miles plus.....so I guess what I am asking is since I will be buying a higher mileage RSV.....what are the big problems that I should be watching for when shopping for an RSV with 75,000-100,000 miles? I am really beginning to like the look of the RSV Millinimum Edition......very different.....buy very classy in my eyes. Thank You.

My 01 has 82K miles on it and I would hop on it and go anywhere for any length of mileage or time.

I am probably not the best on preventive maintenance but these things in general just cause no problems.

I have bought bikes with higher mileage in the past and I believe they may be better bikes than the ones that are 10 years old with 5000 miles on them.

Good luck in your search,

BOO

I agree with BOO - the ones with miles often seem to be in better condition.

Almost all the problems I see in the shop are because of age or neglect (or both). The one that's just been sitting in the back of a garage seems more likely to have problems than one that is ridden regularly.

How it's been cared for means a lot more than the numbers on the odometer to me.

One thing I'd look for - are there any aftermarket lights or other electrical accessories on it? Many times these things are installed by people who don't have a clue as to how to wire them properly. My last RSV, a 99, was a good looking, good running bike. Only after I got it home did I find the wiring nightmare under the seat and under the fairing. The PO's idea of splicing into the wiring consisted of twisting together the ends of the wire and then wrapping a few turns of electrical tape around it. What a mess!

Also check the rear shock for any signs of oil leakage. Those seem to be a weak point on the RSV and will set you back $600-$700 if needing replaced.

Ride it -without earplugs- and see if there is a level of clutch whine or chirp that bothers you. If so, keep looking until you find one that doesn't whine.

Others here will probably chip in as well. Good luck, hope you find the "one"!

Guest Slab_Ryder

Yes, it is an inexpensive fix. In fact an acquaintance did it for me. I have also just ordered new friction plates for the next time. I have also recently purchased a used set of Clutch Plates that are in for Glass Bead blasting, as a spare set of plates.

Well, most of it has already been said but what the hay, I'll reiterate and share my perspective here. My original plan when I bought my 01 (it had ~25k miles on it) was to sell it before I crested 50k and replace it with another as to minimize the depreciation hit. Well I rolled over 55.5k this morning and am planning a 5k trip next week. No second thoughts about it. I have kept up with the maitenence, including the valve clearance checks/adjustments (thanks to the Goose :thumbsup2:) and know my bike qutie well, in and out. Quite a few folks on here have far more miles on theirs than I have on mine. Really that kind of mileage on a 10-12 year old bike, in my opinion, is much better than getting one with really low miles - assuming that it was ridden consistently over the years and not, say, ridden hard for the first few then sat for 5+ years. I am a big stickler for maintenance records and making sure that the PM is done on time and think that adds a ton of value to a used bike (not that I would expect to get more money for it because of my records when I sell it, but it makes me feel better...)

Summary:

Would I be worried about 50k+ on a used bike? - So long as it was regularly ridden and there was reasonable evidence of proper upkeep - HECK no!

Giddy-up :Venture:

I am in the market of buying a '99 -'03 RSV. My price range is 4,000 to 5,500 dollars. In that price I will be getting a RSV with 50,000 to 75,000 miles. To me .....that's higher miles on a bike.....but I know these Engines/Trans/Drivelines are good for 200,000 miles plus.....so I guess what I am asking is since I will be buying a higher mileage RSV.....what are the big problems that I should be watching for when shopping for an RSV with 75,000-100,000 miles? I am really beginning to like the look of the RSV Millinimum Edition......very different.....but very classy in my eyes. Thank You.

As many have indicated, its more how well the bike is maintained than what the actual mileage is on the bike. I purchased my 2006 in 2008 with 20,000 miles on it but the bike was plagued with a lot of problems, mostly all due to improper maintenance and add-ons by the previous owners. Since then, and 80,000 miles later, the bike is such awesome condition, I'd have no problems jumping on it and doing a cross continent trip on it.. such confidence in this bike now.

Bikes with higher mileage would show some signs of wear and tear, and some of the things to look for, in my opinion based on my experiences, would be the filters, air fuel and oil.. how often had these been changed and how frequently? The fuel filter is often neglected due to its location and for some, the difficulty of changing it. I relocated mine under the seat so I have no excuse for changing it now.. ;) A bad fuel filter led to the premature failure of the fuel pump. Fuel pumps seem to go on these bikes, but they are not all that expensive to replace and easy to change out yourself.

Neck bearings, have the bike up on a jack and do the steering bounce check and travel movement (grab wheel at the front and pull and push to see if it knocks or has a lot of movement. Remedy is to regrease the bearings but since you have to pull them to do so, might as well just put new ones in. There is also a 'poor man's adjustment' you can do to tighten them up.. See if this needs work or not. Not too expensive but makes a world of difference on the ride.. While there, might as well have the forks serviced, most people never get this done though it's a recommended maintenance procedure.. Check the front tire for cupping, it may be an indication of a loose neck, or low tire pressure.

Rear shocks, though the bike is rideable with the OEM shock when it's lost it's oil, (I rode mine for a year before realizing it was dead, and the warranty replacement died a week after warranty was up on the bike.. blech) since replaced with a Works shock. The rear shock should be checked for leaks and such, as recommended by others. Again, something easy enough to do at home. While back there, also check the swing arm bearings for looseness. Mine was quite loose and after redoing it the bike tracked a lot nicer on the road. If you do purchase an older bike, see about having "leveling links" installed to make it an easier bike to handle at slower speeds.

Clutch.. I replaced mine a couple of times already. They do tend to go after a lot of miles. I've read where most times its around the 40 to 50,000 miles if not earlier. Some last the life of the bike.. I first installed the PCW Racing clutch kit but didn't like how it left my friction zone way out there, so after a while I put in the Barnetts spring and plates kit and that made a world of difference.. solid. Again something you can easily do at home..

Valves.. On older bikes, if this hasn't been checked during it's life time, will most likely need some adjustment. You can tell if your valves are way out by riding down the highway and pressing your knuckles against the tank.. if you feel a high buzzing vibes, it may well indicate your valves are out of adjustment. Goose showed me how to do the valves and this was one of the little things I noticed since having it done.

Most RSV will have a loud "whine" noise from the gears at some speeds and gears selections, and this alone is enough to turn people off from owning this bike. Mine is probably louder than most but I don't hear it anymore, I'm enjoying the bike too much to notice it.. (and louder pipes drown it out some too ;) I don't think a loud whine indicates anything wrong with the bike but various parts replacements have been known to quell that noise down.

Radios can be either spot on or iffy on the older bikes, depending on how well it's been stored (indoors or outdoors).. usually a quick fix with some connector adjustments etc.

Other things to look for on older bikes is to check the trunk lid hinges and attachment points for any cracks etc.

Best of luck, these are awesome bikes to travel on.. Hope some of this helps..

Cheers

How it's been cared for means a lot more than the numbers on the odometer to me.

DITTO !!!

When I sold my 2 first gen's, they were both around 100k miles (not kilometers) and they both ran like a top. Bike I just bought has close to a 100k miles and it is in great condition because it's been properly maintained. Having said that tho, a Wing is good for twice the mileage of an RSV ..... :witch_brew: :witch_brew: :cool10:

I've seen a few of this family of bikes (the family including the Vmax, Venture Royale, Royal Star) with lots of miles on them and running great. I sold my 97 RSTD with 75k miles on it, and it is still running with well over 100k, though I haven't seen it in around 3 years now, so no telling how many miles it has today.

It still needs to be remembered, though, that high miles means that some components on a machine will be nearing end of life. The motor/drive train can be fine, but there are other subsystems on the machine that will keep you hopping on the maintenance end. Water pump, clutch, bearings, deteriorated rubber, control cables, alternator, etc. It wouldn't IMO be reasonable to expect a machine with 75k miles on it to have no wear and tear failures down the road. As long as you understand this, then you will have no regrets.

Just yesterday my friend Dave was telling me about his 12 year old Chevy SUV that has 140k miles on it. He's never changed the coolant!!! It still has the original shocks and struts on it!!! He thinks he can get 200k out of it without changing the coolant. I said, OK, good luck with that. But I'll betcha you look inside that radiator and block and you'll see a lot of corrosion. The oem shocks and struts were worn out at 30k miles, and if he put new ones on he'd notice a big improvement in handling. Etc.

I am in the market of buying a '99 -'03 RSV. My price range is 4,000 to 5,500 dollars. In that price I will be getting a RSV with 50,000 to 75,000 miles. To me .....that's higher miles on a bike.....but I know these Engines/Trans/Drivelines are good for 200,000 miles plus.....so I guess what I am asking is since I will be buying a higher mileage RSV.....what are the big problems that I should be watching for when shopping for an RSV with 75,000-100,000 miles? I am really beginning to like the look of the RSV Millinimum Edition......very different.....buy very classy in my eyes. Thank You.

Do a lot of looking and don't get in a hurry and you can find low mileage RSVs. I found my 2000 MM with only 6,000 miles on it about 2 years ago. They are out there and in your price range, just have to do a lot of looking.

WOW.....Thank you all for the great info that you gave me on this subject. Because of my price range and want for a touring bike (that was NOT a V-twin) the RSV came up as the only candidate.....I am not crazy about the look of the first gens or the BMW's ....you know the more sport touring types......I love the classic 40's/50's car look of the RSV. I knew these motors were proven (bulletproof) mills. When I get the money together.....I will be buying one........what ever good deal and proper maintenance RSV comes along. I really like that Special look of the Millinium Edition though! Thanks Again to all of you for posting!

I'm with you on the appearance of the 1st Gen Ventures. The machine is very good, butt buttt ugly! I'm convinced the appearance is what killed the first gen. The 2d gen looks much better, but in some ways is over-the-top on the cruiser styling (to wit, bolt on cylinder fins, ugh!).

As far as longevity, there is nothing special about the Venture. There are plenty of every make of big bike with +100k miles on them. There are lots of reasons to love the Venture, but longevity of it does not make it a standout among big bikes, rather, merely normal for modern machinery. Even Harleys can go far. All bikes have their handful of mechanical "problems" the Venture is no exception.

The real question is: how does the bike fit you? I love my Venture because it mostly fits my frame and my riding style with a minimum of aftermarket modification. The fact that it is reliable and long-lived is a big plus, but not the main reason for me owning it.