IGNORED

Where is everyone

playboy

I know I'm still a newbie here but I'm trying hard to fit in an get to know people. What i would like to see is an easier way to figure out were folks are from. I do not recognize many of the state flags or cities listed in folks profile or when they post. Is there something I'm missing or a place on this forum to go with a map an stick pin of peoples location. Trying to figure out who is close by my location and the places I would like to travel to. I have about wore out my atlas an my eyes trying to find this information.

No i don't have a GPS :puzzled:

Well if you run your curser over the State flag it will tell you the state, then above the flag next to the Earth symbol it says the town and/or City. If that don't tell you enough click on the Earth symbol and it will show you a map. If you don't know by then, just give up. :doh:

Sorry I'm a regular smart a$$ tonight.

Thanks guys that helps a lot

I've been on this site (daily) for more than four years, and I didn't know about the map feature...guess I didn't get the memo! So, thanks for asking the question. BTW...you are almost a Texan, aren't you?

Edited by Aimhigh

The little earth does not always work. It just looks at the city name and then shows A city by that name. If you have a common city name that is used in a number of different states, there is a good chance it will show the wrong one.

If you edit the city name in your profile to include the state, like in my case I list the city as "Cudahy, WI", both the city and state in the same box that is meant for just the city. This ensures that Google Maps will find the correct Cudahy.

Then there are people that list there city with something clever like "On the beach", unless there is actually a city of that name that you live in, it will not help members find you.

Which means that since I can not find you, my nice steaks or other home made treats looking for a grill to go on will just have to eaten by me, myself and I, and then the DQ coupons in my pocket will have to be enjoyed by just me. And yes I am always up to the task of eating a steak dinner for 2 all by myself.

Thanks guys that helps a lot

I've been on this site (daily) and I didn't know about the map feature...guess I didn't get the memo! So, thanks for asking the question. BTW...you are almost a Texan, aren't you?

Meneither. I always looked in the profile if I didn't know the state flag. This is nice

I know I'm still a newbie here but I'm trying hard to fit in an get to know people. What i would like to see is an easier way to figure out were folks are from. I do not recognize many of the state flags or cities listed in folks profile or when they post. Is there something I'm missing or a place on this forum to go with a map an stick pin of peoples location. Trying to figure out who is close by my location and the places I would like to travel to. I have about wore out my atlas an my eyes trying to find this information.

there are several ways to get member info...one is to use the 'community' tab -- another is if you click on the members name in a post and select 'view public profile' - provided the member gave the info, you will see the city and state they are from plus additional personal info.

When I click on the "globe" icon to see google maps, I usually don't recognize where it is unless I change the scale of the map to show a much larger area of the country.

I used to have my location as "somewhere north of Kingston" but of course the map wouldn't recognize that....so as someone else said...now I have city(or more like a hamlet) and province.

Hi, Vincent

Mark here (mag1101) from Pa.

You can also click on "community" up on the tool bar, then go down to menbers list and all the states will come up. Just scroll down and pick your state and you will see all the members listed in your state and what area they live in...it's a nice feature on the forum.

Hope to meet you and do some ridding some day.

Mark

I knew about the flags, but not the link to Google maps. I want to see if it links up my postcode or just shows London.

I'm not sure whether to make the link more accurate, or keep some privacy ???

[EDIT: I changed my address on my profile to add the postcode, but it still just shows 'London' on the map. Maybe it takes time to update ??]

[EDIT AGAIN - @ Mark - doesn't work for me, maybe it's only for North America :-( ]

[better than double posting.... it updated, you can see my estate.]

Edited by greg_in_london

I knew about the flags, but not the link to Google maps. I want to see if it links up my postcode or just shows London.

I'm not sure whether to make the link more accurate, or keep some privacy ???

[EDIT: I changed my address on my profile to add the postcode, but it still just shows 'London' on the map. Maybe it takes time to update ??]

[EDIT AGAIN - @ Mark - doesn't work for me, maybe it's only for North America :-( ]

[better than double posting.... it updated, you can see my estate.]

HA, son of a gun. If that little arrow is really where you are at I was literally a few streets away from you over the summer. I do some work at Rutherford Appleton Labs a few times a year (in Didcot which is not far from Oxford). Last time I was out there I took an extra 5 days to putter around England and spent two and a half of them puttering around London. Had some lunch at a small place off B140 just west of A12.

Edited by LilBeaver