I am having a very noticeable rattle under the bike and I am trying to determine if it is a loose baffle. I have another collector that I had a sleeve welded on where one of the pipe connections had broke off and when I look into the muffler tube hole I can see what looks like a baffle. When I stick a foot long rod in and peck on the baffle, it is solid. When I pulled the right muffler off, where the knock seems loudest, and did the same thing on the collector on the bike, it also seems to be mounted solid. It there another baffle in there that I am not seeing or feeling that could be loose?

RandyA

I am having a very noticeable rattle under the bike and I am trying to determine if it is a loose baffle. I have another collector that I had a sleeve welded on where one of the pipe connections had broke off and when I look into the muffler tube hole I can see what looks like a baffle. When I stick a foot long rod in and peck on the baffle, it is solid. When I pulled the right muffler off, where the knock seems loudest, and did the same thing on the collector on the bike, it also seems to be mounted solid. It there another baffle in there that I am not seeing or feeling that could be loose?

RandyA

I have a similar rattle, and I have cut the collector open to check the baffle which is solidly in place.

Something else is rattling down there, and I'm not sure what it is.

Grrr!

I have the rattle in the collector and it went away for a while when I leaned ther bike over and gave the collector a good whack with a wooden hammer. But, its back and its drivingme crazy, but i want to make it thru until I put the bike away for the winter. then Ill have lots of time to work on it.

Brian

there is a thread here on how to fix it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002

lay bike on left side gently, preferebly on grass

take a grinder with a cutting disc and i did three cuts, each side and along the back

them i pried the metal tab open

there was one piece of metal baffle that almost fell out and the other side i took the cutting disc to it and removed the other piece.

then i pried the metal back to its original position

took the bike over to a local welding shop, layed the bike gently on its side again and he stitched up the opening that i had made

hope this helps

cheers, Scott