IGNORED

AM/FM Reception

notwaiting

I own an '88 V.R. with 61K miles. Everything works properly except the factory AM/FM radio. Turn the radio on & you can hear static like it's not on station, but it's digital. Ride a while and the station may come on for a few miles clearly then it's back to static.

C.B. and tape deck sound great throught the factory speakers and the intercom system works.

It has one antenna with a splitter or balun under the C.B.

I've checked the coax from the antenna all the way back to the radio and everything's connected. I left the radio on while I was tracing the coax connections in case I found a poor connection but it never changed from static.

It sounds like the tuner's off station, but why would it kick in and out?

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!!

Those electronics are very old, and all sorts of gremlins can creep in.

Couple of things worth noting:

The split antenna system sucks. It compromises both CB and Radio and was a cheap alternative to fitting two antennas. It's cheap and easy to split them.

FM reception varies and most stations are quite local. AM reception is interference prone anyway.

The easiest way to check the antenna set-up is to swap out the radio with a known good one, and see if the problem persists.

You might consider fitting a satellite radio especially if you regularly ride outwith your local station range.

The connection going into the left side fairing is the standard car antennae connection... ask friends if someone doesn't have something laying around you can borrow for an afternoon.

If it's the same in AM and FM, this seems to preclude the early rf section, it could still be poor solder or grounding to the tuner section.