On Dunlop's website they list the 404 as good for the 99-10 Royal Star Venture, but it is not listed for the 08 RSTD, so I asked then why I got this back as an answer.

"Good morning Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV.

The D404 original equipment tire is different from the after-market tire.

The D404 original equipment tire is belted, the D404 after-market is not.

The Elite 3 tires are belted and have a heavier load-carrying capacity"

Really didn't answer My question but is it just me or does this make sense to anyone . A friend put 404's on his 06 and has no problem at all ..

Maybe Im over thinking it ?

The answer from Dunlop sounds like total BS to me. I have no way of knowing for a fact if their response is true or not, but like you said, it does not even remotely answer the question you asked. Here are the facts as I know them - the RSTD and RSV are virtually identical bikes (with the RSTD being slightly lighter due to smaller tank and lack of fairing and trunk). Yamaha fits both bikes with identical OEM tires, and they specify the same tires for replacement. So if Dunlop is saying (or trying to imply) that the retail D404 is correct fitment for the RSV but NOT for the RSTD, they are either fools or liars.

Now for my personal opinion - the Dunlop D404 is an average tire, at best. It is not complete unmitigated crap like the Brickstone Excedra, but still not worth my money. If you are buying new tires, I personally suggest you go with either the Avon Venom or Dunlop E3.

Goose

:think: Seems like if they think it will carry a Venture they would think it would carry a Tour :think:

Looking at the parts fiche I see that the D404 was not OEM on the Tour in '08. It was 96-00.

Looking at the Dunlop fitment guide it appears to me that their recommended tire for all the Tours and Ventures is the Elite 3. On the models where the D404 was original equipment they specify that as the OEM replacement, after they recommend the Elite 3.

The Elite 3 has a higher load index than the D404. What I read between the lines is that they agree with Dan - D404 is a poor choice for a heavy tourer.

thank you ,, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't nuts. I"m looking at the Metz 880 right now soon as I can loosen up some change. but I'll look closer at the E3's now to .

As far as I am concerned, the Metzeller 880 is v=far and away the MOST DANGEROUS tire for use on any Royal Star! No other tire throws huge chunks of tread like they do, and no other vendor hates their customers like they do. It is your choice, but do a little research before you blindly make a decision.

Goose

:think:

Looking at the parts fiche I see that the D404 was not OEM on the Tour in '08. It was 96-00.

This is a very interesting, and strange, point. I checked the owner's manuals for both bikes, and they, too, show the Dunlop D404 as an approved replacement for the RSV, but not the RSTD. One can only speculate on what kind of weird idiocracy was going on inside of Yamahaha when they put this together!

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

there was a thread a while back claiming that OEM tires are different from aftermarket tires...even within the same brand and model.

This was hotly contested but The email reply you got seems to verify just that!

"Good morning Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV.

The D404 original equipment tire is different from the after-market tire.

The D404 original equipment tire is belted, the D404 after-market is not.

Different engineers working on the two different designs (RSV, RSTD), may not have listed the Dunlop as an alternative. If this is the case then it is sad there is no internal communication, but I know it happens. (seen it too many times)

Having said that I have had good luck with the Dunlop 404 WWW's

Brad

I have sold and installed hundreds of tires for motorcycles. RSV & RSTD are heavy bikes and carry heavy loads . Dunlop D404 are not the best choice for our bikes. Metzeler 880, Avon, Dunlop E3, really are the only choices we have, and they are ,all in all, fairly equal, in ride and mileage. I know some will disagree with this simply because some people like Chevy trucks better than Ford trucks. My sales and service records show that my customers who keep the correct air pressure in their tires enjoy a safe ride with great mileage, those who don't, don't. I have 5 street bikes including my baby, '05 silver RSV, they all have Metzelers . Not that I haven't tried all the brands, I have, and my customers have, and like me, they come back to the Metzelers..... winner by a nose.

Edited by hi 05 silver

I run Dunlop D404 back and 404F front on my 85' with no problems, Last year I tried the elite 3 for about a month and sold them,they sucked in tight corners and in the rain, no tread like the 404's, just slots around the edges on the newer designs of tires, The 404's have given me great milage, handeling and traction, and no problems in light rain,stone, dirt, or snow like the newer style treads. Maybe these new tire designs were made for the newer bikes and not the older ones like mine.

I run Dunlop D404 back and 404F front on my 85' with no problems, Last year I tried the elite 3 for about a month and sold them,they sucked in tight corners and in the rain, no tread like the 404's, just slots around the edges on the newer designs of tires, The 404's have given me great milage, handeling and traction, and no problems in light rain,stone, dirt, or snow like the newer style treads. Maybe these new tire designs were made for the newer bikes and not the older ones like mine.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I replaced the 404's on my 2000 RSV with E3's. The Goldwing mechanic I go to advised me that the 404 is to light of tire, doesn't provide sidewall support for that heavy of bike. I really like my E3's especially after going narrower on front. Handling at slower speeds is like night and day. Some on here experienced squirly handling at high speed with the narrower tire on front but I don't notice that.

Find out what you like by trial and error like most of us have. I run Dunlop D404 WWW and have for over 100,000 miles without incident. Great wet and dry handling with over 10,000 miles per set (I change front and rear together and I use Dyna Beads). I will not speak ill of other tires I have tried. Enjoy what you get or get something else.

:farmer:

thank you ,, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't nuts. I"m looking at the Metz 880 right now soon as I can loosen up some change. but I'll look closer at the E3's now to .

Just say "No" to Metz! Too many bad experiences here with them. I my 2nd set of E3s. LOVE THEM!

D404... oem 150/90 HB-15 , D404... aftermarket 150/90 H-15 . The aftermarket D404 is not a belted tire, that's what the B stands for. 150/90 HB-15 can only be bought thru Yamaha. Dunlop lists the aftermarket D404 as high value/bias, sounds better than cheap. Look at your rear tire, for a B, if you want to run D404's buy the one with a B for belted for the rear, but there are better choices for our bikes,Metzeler,Avon, E3.

Edited by hi 05 silver

D404... oem 150/90 HB-15 , D404... aftermarket 150/90 H-15 . The aftermarket D404 is not a belted tire, that's what the B stands for. 150/90 HB-15 can only be bought thru Yamaha. Dunlop lists the aftermarket D404 as high value/bias, sounds better than cheap. Look at your rear tire, for a B, if you want to run D404's buy the one with a B for belted for the rear, but there are better choices for our bikes,Metzeler,Avon, E3.

This explains why I got 17k on my stock D404's that came on the bike new. Now my 2nd 404 on the rear is starting to show a flat spot at only 10k.

I had an E3 on the rear for 400 miles, but picked up a 2" screw in Roanoke and the dealer didn't have a replacement, so I had a D404 put on thinking I would get the same miles as the 1st set.

I plan to replace the rear with an E3 to match the front, which still looks new.

• 3 weeks later...