IGNORED

Great BBQ Tour 2011

RedRider

Got back Sunday after a quick BBQ tour to complete my Smoke Chasing requirements (fund raiser for Eddie's Roads). Ate BBQ in Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Indiana. Left Friday from Fond du Lac, WI at 1:30 in the afternoon and got home Sunday night at 6:30. 1842 miles in 55 hours. Good food, good miles, good times.

Here are a couple of pics that highlighted the trip (above and beyond the BBQ).

First, was parked between two nice, shiny HDs in front of Jack's BBQ in downtown Nashville, TN. My bike is set up for touring (aux. fuel tank, cables everywhere, etc.) and was dirty from riding in the rain. As I prepare to take off after eating BBQ (Yummm!! Good stuff at Jack's), this young lady asked if she could sit on my bike to get her picture taken. Ummmmm, YEAH!!!

Second, on the north side of Chicago, I surpassed the 100,000 mile mark on the Venture. Had to pull over and document the occasion.

Just about time to put the bike away and break out the guns. Been a good riding season.

RR

Edited by RedRider

I'm a BBQ GUY! I don't know NUTTIN' about cookin' it, but I know what makes it good and I know where THE BEST BBQ sandwiches are in Arkansas.

Where in Arkansas did you try BBQ and did you eat sandwiches or Ribs? Pork or Beef (hopefully pork - sorry you Texans).

Just curious!!

Wally

TOPS has been around a long time and makes some pretty good 'QUE', but I would put the Pork BBQ Sandwiches in Blytheville, AR (especially a place called Penn's) up against ANY BBQ in the U.S.

I think if you ever eat one of the Penn's, it would change your mind about ALL OTHER BBQ sandwiches. In fact, Penn's is the Best of the Best in Blytheville.

Although I don't live there any longer, I still consider Blytheville home. I now live 150 miles away so I can't just go get a sandwich whenever I want (more about that in a minute). Anyway, this small (and ROUGH) town is in the Delta of Arkansas, in a fairly low economic area, however this little town has no less than 7-10 BBQ "shacks" at a time...all of which make the same basic kind of BBQ.

I have eaten BBQ in probably every state I have traveled (maybe an exception or two), and none have compared with what you get in Blytheville.

Last Tuesday, I got decided I wanted a BBQ sandwich...hopped on the bike and rode 150 miles to Blytheville. I pulled up to Penn's BBQ and placed my order for the Jumbo Combo. Ate that and then ordered another Jumbo BBQ Sandwich before hopping back on the bike and heading home. I was in Blytheville for less than 30 minutes. I figured those BBQ sandwiches cost me about $14.50 apiece. LOL

Anyway...long winded YES! But if you're ever in Blytheville, AR...look for Penn's BBQ. If they are closed go to the Dixie Pig, and if they are closed, go to the Kream Kastle. Each one of those establishments have been in business for OVER 50 years!!