IGNORED

Diabetes related problems

Venturous Randy

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 35 years ago and quite honestly did a poor job of controlling it. I took the pills prescribed, but my eating habits were terrible and was about 80 pounds overweight. I eventually ended up on insulin, but that did not help as my A1C numbers were from high 9's to about 11.

When it became obvious that I was going to be dealing with a divorce after a 41 year marriage, I started getting serious about myself. I ended up loosing about 50 pounds and went off insulin and my last two A1C numbers were 6.7 and 6.4 which are very good. But, the problem with diabetes and poor control of it is damage done over the years just don't go away whenever you decide to do better. So, I am sitting here right now trying to type with one eye and hoping I will get some good vision out of the eye when it heals up. The hemorrhage I had was as bad or worse than any of the examples shown on the website about these things.

About two years ago I was really happy with the results from my cataract surgery. Now I am being told that I have a lot of damage in both eyes and it will get worse. The reason I am writing this is I know I am not the only one in this bunch with type 2 diabetes and I hope some of you will start taking diabetes a lot more serious than I did, so maybe you can keep some of the damage to a minimum.

It is a beautiful day outside and to be almost 80 degrees and I would love to be going for a ride.

RandyA

Thanks for the post, my sugar started crashing this morning and when that happens I become a real pain and my temper skyrockets. I have not been taking care of myself I need to loose about 100 pounds and watch my sugar better. I really hope and pray your eye heals ok, your post has been a wake up call thanks again for sharing.

thanks for keeping us posted how your eye is doing, and thanks for the reminder that we all should try to eat and do things that will be better for us down the road. We are all still hoping and wishing that your eye clears up for you soon.

Its so hard to do things that we know we should do today when it wont affect us until tomorrow.

Brian

I know a couple people who have been taken off those medications by switching to an ultrahigh protein/ ultra low carb diet.

Of course these were Type 2 Diabetics which is actually Insulin Resistance.

My brother is a Type 1. It almost killed him at 12 years old. His pancreas just shut down. He's been on shots ever since.

Wow did this hit home at the right time. I went to the Doctor Friday and got one heck of a wake up by the Doctor. I've been out of insulin for about 2 weeks and just didn't have the money to buy it and before I ran out I went down to one shot a day instead of two, then went to one shot every other day until I ran out. After he was done telling me I'm on the verge of kidney failure, loosing toes and eye sight he went out the door and came back with two bottles of insulin and told me to never run out again and if I can't buy it they always have samples. I was discovered having type 1 about two years ago when I went in for surgery and need to find a diabetics class because I do not know enough about it. You mentioned A1C and I have never heard that before, only thing I have is a Blood Glucose Monitor and my sugar has not been under 200 for a long time. After leaving the Doctor Friday I made up my mind to do what I'm told, find out what I'm supposed to eat and lose this 80lbs I gained. Got up Saturday and was supposed to meet some members to have breakfast and ride to Bikes on the Bricks but felt so sick I couldn't go. Blood sugar was 397. I'm supposed to (and will) take an injection of Victoza in the morning and 22cc if Lantus at night. Wish me luck on understanding this better and getting it under control. Thanks for reading....Karl

I was on a pump for 5 years, but when insurance went, so did the pump. Taking 4-6 shots a day with a a1c less than 7. Like you need to loose 80 or so pounds.

Can control what I eat pretty well. Not so much how much I eat.

Not sure but thinking maybe I better come off Actos. Will talk to doctor about that in a couple of weeks.

You mentioned A1C and I have never heard that before, only thing I have is a Blood Glucose Monitor and my sugar has not been under 200 for a long time.

A1C is the long term sugar test that shows what your sugar has averaged over a three month period of time. This one you can not fake by eating real good for a couple of days before you go to the doctor. It does concern me that you are being treated for diabetes and your doctor has not tested for A1C.

I do appreciate the comments as this is why I started this post. I know there are a lot on here that are in the same boat and if I can do anything to get someones attention to help address their diabetes problem, it is worth it.

RandyA

Hey Venturous,

I hope you get your eyes back to normal again soon. Thanks for the warning about diabetes. It is a dangerous disease as it affects every part of your body. Also, if you have diabestes you are at the same risk for a heart attack or stroke as someone that has already had one. I have type 2 and it is a struggle to eat right. After three general practicioners I went to a endocronologist last week. I found that most regular MDs don't know how to treat diabetes. My A1C was 6.3 which is excellent but it has been up to 9. Keeping your weight to normal levels and regular exercise are as important as insulin or medication. I hate to exercise but I accepted the fact that I am going to have to do it. My daughters best friend is a registered diabetes dietician and she can show you some horror stories about people that didn't take care of themselves. It scares me to see them. We are bombarded with commercials showing us the latest increased size hamburger or ice cream or pie everytime we turn on the tv. Even if you don't have diabetes, what we eat is killing us. Almost everything has high fructose corn syrup, genetically modified grain or is sprayed with chemicals. Everyone should watch what they eat.

I was in the same boat, SS Sweet Tooth. Loved the dam coke, (cola!) it was nothing to kill 10 to 12 cans a day. We have a different gauge up in Canada, but I was rocking some killer numbers too.

I am no athlete guys, but I just stuck with it. The journey has its ups and downs, but stick with it and there is a gradual decline. There is only one way ..... WWW

Drink Water, go for a Walk, and do a Workout every day!! It doesnt have to kill you, but you MUST break a sweat. I used a treadmill and then added small handweights after a few months. Proud to say I'm back to my high school weight and wearing 32 jeans, lost 65 lbs in a year.

And my numbers .... 5.2 from 12.6 (which is normal blood sugar)

Believe me ..... you hear this all the time, but it is SO true, if I can do it you surely can too. Look at the options, no need to get into that we all know what they are!

Good luck .... stick with it, changes don't happen overnight.

I too started eating right in recent months. Both hubby and I are at risk for diabetes, though his risk is quite a bit higher and he's showing signs of prediabetes for a couple of years now. I started steaming veggies and meat in a steamer, it's quicker, easier and with mrs dash sprinkled on it, down right edible. I've lost about 15 lbs in the last 2 mons with no working out, I have a goal weight of 150, and right now I weigh 215lbs. Should I mention that the steaming is lots cheaper than any other way I shopped for groceries before? frozen veggies are $1.25 for a pkg that feeds 2 and chicken tenderloins are $7/bag. And the bag of chicken feeds us for 2 weeks.

A1C is the long term sugar test that shows what your sugar has averaged over a three month period of time. This one you can not fake by eating real good for a couple of days before you go to the doctor. It does concern me that you are being treated for diabetes and your doctor has not tested for A1C.

I do appreciate the comments as this is why I started this post. I know there are a lot on here that are in the same boat and if I can do anything to get someones attention to help address their diabetes problem, it is worth it.

RandyA

This concerns me also that my Doctor has never tested or said anything about A1C. I've been reading on line this morning and finding a lot of information that I had no idea of. Found almost everything I eat is bad for me. I'm trying to find a diabetes class that medicare will help pay for because there are a lot of conflicting ideas on the internet. Thanks again for your post. Oh by the way waiting for Doctors office to call me back to answer some of my questions.

I am not diabetic (yet) but both my parents and my brother were diagnosed this past year. Kinda suprising at least for my dad because he does take care of himself. He is in his late 70's and still sharp as a tack. My wife works for a company that produces a blood glucose monitoring machine so some of you may have even spoken to her. :-) Years ago, there was a guy in the Indy group that swore he would be back on a scoot but this was before they took both legs below the knee and his fingertips (not sure how many). It is certainly not something to take lightly.