IGNORED

front turn signals on the rear

When I look at the turn signals on the front, they stay lit all the time and flash for turn signals, the rear only flash for turn signals. Looking to add more light to the back, has anyone tried mounting front turn bodies on the rear and wired them as running and turn signals?

I put the Custom Dynamics lights on the rear. They turn the rear signal lights into turn/run/brake lights. Very bright. I also upgraded the rear brake light to the 100 led cluster.

Can't figure out how to paste the thread address using this tablet but if you do a search for Custom Dynamics you'll see the thread I did on the install.

Guest medicman91681

I went the extra mile, I "gutted" the rear housings and went to Auto Zone, bought 2 1157 dual filament bulb sockets, ran the extra wire, tied one into the rear brake running light and the other is my blinker. Had to do alot of modification to the socket, i.e soilder a ground wire to the socket, cut it down to fit in the original rubber gasket that holds the factory socket, so you see it got alittle complicated but I absolutly love it. It took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 hours to complete but it was totally worth it. I know the site rules of having pictures and I wished I would have taken some but it was very tedious. Hope this helps you out some.

If I choose to do this, can I pull the wire out enough by loosening the light fixture clamp, then pull through some extra wire. Then, attach the two wires from the front fixtures to the one orginal rear using the one to pull through / in the two new wires? Or, do I need to remove the rear tire to get enough access to feed the two wires? I assume the junction of the rear turn signals, brake light, parking lights is behind the license plate? Is that right?

When I look at the turn signals on the front, they stay lit all the time and flash for turn signals, the rear only flash for turn signals. Looking to add more light to the back, has anyone tried mounting front turn bodies on the rear and wired them as running and turn signals?

You may know of this mod, but it is a HD licence plate light bar and if you pick up the wiring out of the licence mount you will have two additional rear tail and brake lights.

Ebay for $70

That would work but you def need to make sure you have red lenses or clear with red bulbs. I did what another person just did. I have the Custom Dynamic LED in all my turn signals. Rear are now run/turn/brake and I replaced the brake light with the orignal led board i think it is 48 led instead of 100. it is super bright.

Call up CD they are great to work with www.customdynamics.com

Guest tx2sturgis
Can't figure out how to paste the thread address using this tablet but if you do a search for Custom Dynamics you'll see the thread I did on the install.

Not to hijack the thread, but if that tablet is an iPad, maybe I can help with that.

• 1 year later...

When I had my 82 XJ650, I changed the rear sockets to dual circuit ones and replace the bulbs from the 1156 to 1157. wired the extra wire to the license plate light. There was always issue with the XJ charging system. Very limited extra voltage. If I do this to my RSTD, do I have to worry about using too much power?