IGNORED

Fuel pump issue?

I have an 08 RSTD with just over 50k trouble miles free miles until today. It started fine and I pulled out of the driveway and made it maybe a tenth of a mile and it felt like it was running out of gas. I reached down and checked the petcock it was on. Then it finally just quit. It would fire again but then cut out again. I'm gonna check the filter and see if I got bad gas(water). I just changed the airfilters and plugs and synched the carbs. It ran fine coming home from work this morning after filling up which leads me to think it could be the fuel pump. BTW I pushed it the near 1/4 mile back to the house... that was a B. Any thoughts?

This morning, go out and listen when you turn the key on, you should be able to hear the pump running untill the carb bowls are full, if not then the pump is probably shot. you can also pull the line off of the OUT on the pump and see if its pumping.. Sounds like a Warranty issue to me though. Good luck and I bet it sucked pushing that beast.

Kreg

I have an 08 RSTD with just over 50k trouble miles free miles until today. It started fine and I pulled out of the driveway and made it maybe a tenth of a mile and it felt like it was running out of gas. I reached down and checked the petcock it was on. Then it finally just quit. It would fire again but then cut out again. I'm gonna check the filter and see if I got bad gas(water). I just changed the airfilters and plugs and synched the carbs. It ran fine coming home from work this morning after filling up which leads me to think it could be the fuel pump. BTW I pushed it the near 1/4 mile back to the house... that was a B. Any thoughts?

I did notice that it didnt click when I turned the key on but it didnt phase me because it had'nt been off that long. I'll double check when I get off work later today. She is quite heavy and to make it worse it had just got dark, the mosquitos were having a feeding frenzy on my arms and the cagers flying down the road barely missing me didn't make it any better. Thanks

I'll try that too. thanks. I do enjoy puting on the miles. My goal is 100k in 5 years... I bought Miss Betty new in May 09'. I think I'm on the right road:cool10:. If it is the pump, I'm not worried about it except I dont trust the stealer here. I've done all the maint on this bike. We are one. lol

I ride a 2006 RSV with 32,000 on her. Just 3 weeks ago it would start but then it would die. Like you i check the P- cock it was on. Called Dealer to come & get it. But i tryed again & it started to run. took ir over to dealer. He try it & it ran, so i said i would go home i did not get out of drive way & it died. it was the Fuel Pump My Warranty was up few days but Yamaha payed for it anyway LOL.

just replaced my fuel pump on my 06 with 69060 on it,went with the after market pump from napa,had one of my pals from charlotte come up and do it for me. pretty straight forward and shouldn't be hard to do. good luck on that.i'm not super smart but it sounds like a great starting place and the pumps only about 50 bucks.of course you cold spend a few days trying other soultions.

Pretty sure my pump is going south. But it is very hard to tell because it is intermittent. Makes it near impossible to get it replaced under warranty.

Last time mine died like that, I turned the fuel selector to reserve and it ran.

I try not to let the tank get below 1/2 and keep the few tools needed in the side bag to bypass the pump

Just got mine to the dealer this morning for a new fuel pump. Mine would click some times & some times not. I had just put a new filter on last nite it ran for a couple of minutes and stoped the pump was very hot.came in and read the tech section. This morning went out heard the clicking, started right up let it run several minutes shut it off did a few things got on headed to the dealer made it a1/2 mile it died. Called wife to bring plyers pulled hose off filter pluged strait to carb started right up drove to dealer.of course they have to order one.the tech write-ups really saved me alot of greif. Thank you guys for sharing your knowlege

. Have 35250 miles

Today I went out and it fired right up. I'll hold off on taking it into the dealer for now. I'm taking it out of town this week to school for work. Picked up some extra fuel line and always keep a few tools on hand just incase i goes out again, I'll bypass the pump. It rained today and I'm getting an itch to get out and ride. Thanks for all the info/advice. this has got to be the best forum on the net.:thumbsup2:

• 4 months later...
just replaced my fuel pump on my 06 with 69060 on it,went with the after market pump from napa,had one of my pals from charlotte come up and do it for me. pretty straight forward and shouldn't be hard to do. good luck on that.i'm not super smart but it sounds like a great starting place and the pumps only about 50 bucks.of course you cold spend a few days trying other soultions.

I know this is an older post, but do you have (or anyone for that matter) the part # for the replacement fuel pump?

Fuel Pump - Most external low pressure/low volume fuel pumps should work - stock pump has a 3 PSI rating and costs over $200. Look for a solid state pump sold for old VWs or jeeps. Here are a couple of links for replacement pumps under $50:

Autozone 4-7 PSI NOTE: since this pump is double the pressure of the stock pump, I would not use it unless I could not find any other.

Autozone 2-3 1/2 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-4 PSI

JCW 1 1/2-3 1/2 PSI

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/42S/10002/-1

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...facetpumps.php Parts 40105 and 40171

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...067330545&An=0

General note on available pumps - most (probably all) of these pumps are Facet brand fuel pumps, and the correct Facet part number is 42S (also goes by 40105). Facet has recently replaced their old cube pumps with new Posi-Flo pumps, and the correct part number for the Posi-Flo is 04S (also goes by 60104). Either part number may be preceded by "PRO" or "FEP". Also note that the 40171 pump is the ONLY one that has both a check valve and positive shutoff, so it would be the best choice for use on a motorcycle that does not have an automatic fuel shutoff when the engine is off (such as ours). All of the other pumps allow fuel to flow even when the power is off, so a leaking float valve could lead to engine damage if the petcock is left on.

you can also try PINWAL on ebay they have OEM pumps as well. I got two froom them and keep a spare in my trunk.

good luck

Jeff

My 09 had a occasional problem with the running out of gas symtoms, i took the pump off hooked it up to a 12v batt. and ran gas through it for a while. when it got hot it would lock up untill it cooled off. the dealer was about 3 weeks behind on getting to replace it under warranty, so i bought a pump off of a wrecked 08 RSV with about 8000 mi. on it to run untill my new one could be put on. fixed my issue completely, but i do have a used 08 pump for sale.

srs

my 07 RSTD w/ 27k miles on it did the same thing at the end of my street. i limped it home and let it sit awhile. i refired it but when trying to give it throttle it would sputter and die, but it did idle roughly. it was only running on one cylinder? i did notice the pump was not clicking so i tapped on it with a wrench and it started running fine again. that was several thousand miles ago and it hasn't happened since. i am sure that was a precursor to a future failure. if it happens again i'll have it replaced under warranty....good luck with yours.