IGNORED

Electrical issue with 1997 Royal Star

First, This is my first post to Venture Riders. This looks like a great place to be if you ride a Venture or Royal Star.

Secondly, I would like to apologize; this post will be a bit long.

I have an electrical problem that has me baffled.

I have a 1997 RSTD, 31280 miles. Bike runs great, very comfortable, love the look. But it developed an electrical issue. Riding along, the bike died. Other electrical items remain on. Turn the key off then back on, it started right back up. This condition was very random; it may be fine for the rest of the ride or it may die again in an hour or it may die in a mile. After research I believed it was the ignition switch. Everything I read, heard or saw indicated the switch was bad. Since the Yamaha switch ws so expensive, I decided to use a generic switch and duplicate the switch circuit; one hot wire in and 3 power wires out.

I built the circuit, replaced the switch, spliced in the wires. Turned the key, had lights, turn signal, horn, CB, fuel pump etc. Hit the starter button, nothing. Pulled in the clutch, nothing. Raised the kickstand, blew the main fuse. Aha, the kick stand switch. Jumped the switch, put in a new fuse, turned the key and blew the main fuse again. Pulled the starter cut out relay, and reading the service manual checked the continuity across the blue/yellow pin and the sky blue pin. The relay appears not to have continuity. There is infinite resistance showing on my meter in both directions. I believe the relay is bad. So is the relay bad and it caused the issue, or is it bad because of the ignition switch issue. OR is the kickstand switch bad and it caused both the stalling problem and the possible dead relay?

Again, sorry for the long first post.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate any help

John

I decided to use a generic switch and duplicate the switch circuit; one hot wire in and 3 power wires out.

John

Looking at the schematic, looks like you need some more wiring on your ing sw bypass.

should have 2 seperate circuits

1- red, brown/black, brown/blue all connected together

2-blue/yellow, blue/black connected together- this is the safety interlock circuit

:080402gudl_prv:

Brian:

Thanks for the information. I want to make sure I understand. The schematic I have for the 1997 RSTD shows the ignition switch with 4 wires, all on the same circuit. The stock switch only had 4 wires into it also.

Did I miss something?

Could the starter cut-off relay be causing my current main fuse issue?

Thanks again?

John

Look at the last 2 pages in the PDF file attached to thread below.

Relays & wiring 101

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43150

It is targeted at an RSV switch bypass, but it should help with understanding wiring changes needed.

Gary

Gary, that was a very good write I had not seen before.

John, hope it answers your question.

Looking at the schematic, looks like you need some more wiring on your ing sw bypass.

should have 2 seperate circuits

1- red, brown/black, brown/blue all connected together

2-blue/yellow, blue/black connected together- this is the safety interlock circuit

:080402gudl_prv:

I believe the ignition switch on these bike is what's called a double pole single throw (DPST).

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note of thanks. After replacing my starter cut-out relay and adding the switch for the second circuit, my Tour Deluxe runs again.

Did 100 miles on Saturday with nary an issue.

Again, thanks!

:hurts:

John

Think we saved you $12.00, huh???

Time to Join:missingtooth: don't ya think???:hurts:

and BTW :welcome1:to the asylum!!!