IGNORED

Working Out

etcswjoe

I thought I would start this thread to see what my fellow riders do to stay in shape for riding. It seems as I am getting older I am finding certain aspects of riding becoming harder on me and the need to get back and stay in shape becomes more apparent to me everytime I ride.

I have been on that new diet and fitness plan where you eat more ice cream and watch more TV........

It has not been working out to well for other than my right arm getting stronger from all of the shoveling.

But then this weekend small game hunting opens so I will be taking about a 4-6 hour walk thru heavy dense cover and carrying a heavy semi auto shotgun, plus at least a box of shells, plus food and water for both me and the dog, at least twice a week.

This is the time of year that I always loose weight.

My personal record for a one day hike thru the woods was 26.2 miles as logged by my GPS. I slept good that night.

One of my hunting buddies wives came with us once, she walks 2-3 miles every day on city sidewalks, she lasted about 400 yards thru these woods and was exhausted to the point we had to help her back to the truck. She will never call us a wuss again when we come back from hunting and say we covered 2 miles in a day.

I do my weight gains in the summer, there are a lot of DQs around here......

OK so no one ever was able to accuse me of being normal in any way......

Hey Joe,

Though I agree that round is a shape and one I am extremely familiar with, it is also a shape of bad things to come as we get older. Having been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a number of years ago I had to finally get serious about losing some weight and losing some of the roundness of my shape. I hate paying for gym access so have reverted back to some basics; walking and then jogging as my endurance increased, hiking has also been added to my regimen and finally I have taken up bicycle riding and though the cost of a bike can jack up quickly I figure since my last bike lasted 35 plus years this newest expense should last a good while. I will add that I am always looking out for new and exciting ways to add to the exercise routine.

Getting older presents its challenges and exercise is certainly one of those area's. I might add that the flip side of that coin is caloric intake so if you can balance the two it will fast work in your favor.

Thanks for posting!

Norm

Before my accidents I was a workout enthusiast. A hour every day in the weight room. I had 18 inch arms a 46 inch chest with a 32 inch waistline. I can remember those days. My chest has since fallen my arms melted away. My waistline is....I ain't saying!! If you get into the workout habit it becomes something you really want to do. But getting back into that habit I can't seem to figure out. I try but it just don't work. I blame it on things being so crazy around here lately with mine and the Wardens health but fact is I'm just LAZY!!If I ever get caught up.....

I comute to work by bicycle most days 20 mile round trip. Wife and I try to walk 2 or 3 evennings a week... just like 5 miles.... we work out in a gym one or two times a week as well. Some times we switch the walk for the gym if the weather is crappy.

I have 7 older brothers... I refuse to end up looking as old as them ! And I tried the round shape and I (and my doctors) did not like it as much as this shape.

For the past month I have been riding my bicycle 10 miles everyday, but I need to do someting for my arms and upper body so I am thinking good ol push ups, set ups and some light weights. I hate going to the gym fat old men like me get looked at funny. I did find this article that I may try out http://www.diseno-art.com/riderfitness.html .

walks with my dog and gardening. I also have an elliptical trainer which is an easy way to stay in shape at the house. Do a little easy downhill skiing in the winter.

Maintaining a good posture when riding will add a little muscle tone. Likewise riding my 200cc trail bike in the Nat'l forest helps with muscle tone.

I've tried to eat healthier. At which I'm only partially successful. Smaller portions is about all I've accomplished.

My metabolism has noticeably slowed down.

Doctor had me on 2 meds, a statin for high cholersterol and acid blocker. After taking them for several years have now come to find that both those meds have bad side effects so I've cut the dosage in half on both and am also taking an adult multivitamin every day.

I love walking but not by myself... and there's not really anywhere special to walk around here unless you can drive first (Mike has the car every evening). Then winter comes and there's no way I'm walking outside most of the time because it's so freaking icy. After breaking my ankle last fall (not because of ice), I'm scared scared to fall major big time. There are times lately I really wished I lived somewhere where you can walk year round but I love winter so...

I used to be in excellent shape, great weight, etc. Since Mike started working this schedule, I got out of the habit and can't seem to get back into it. We could definitely both use more exercise and a better diet and I'm always trying but it's really freaking difficult and gets harder every year.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabestes in 2008. I bought a schwin airdyne and currently do 30 minutes per day 5 days a week. 30 minutes is usually 10 miles. This is fine for cardio but you need some strength training also. I think riding a bike would require more strength training than cardio. I'm thinking about going to the gym 3 days a week for strenght training. I think riding a bike as heavy as the venture or rstd would require working out your leg muscles more than anything but I want to increase the strength in my arms also. My total cholestrerol is fine but my LDL is a little high. I've had two doctors prescribe a statin drug but they get upset with me because I won't take it. If my LDL goes down but my kidney function and liver is damaged because of taking the statin I don't want it. Most doctors today are over prescribing drugs because they are being pushed by the drug companies to prescribe drugs.

I do about an hour weight workout 4 days per week (Upper body one day, lower the next...don't have the energy I once did) and walk for cardio. I rode a mountain bike 3 to 4 times a week for 20 to 25 miles each time till last year as well, but I ran out of time. I will try to get back on that before the snow flies. In the winter, I continue with the walks and do some cross country (No not Victory) skiing when the time and snow works out. Unfortunately, the best skiing trails around here quickly get chewed up by snowmobilers illegally using them.

Andy