IGNORED

Thanks to Ponch for gauge idea

Steel Horse Cowboy

After I saw Ponch's gauge package, I knew I wanted that for my scooter. I wanted mine to be molded or formed into the dash to look sort of factory. Well after I crashed and totaled the scooter :Avatars_Gee_George: last year I figured I had my chance to do this while I was rebuilding the scooter. I settled with the insurance company so that I was able to keep the scooter. Every piece of body plastic was cracked or busted. The front upper fairing, inside dash and lower left fairing were demolished and unrepairable. I bought some parts on e-bay and some parts through the good members :cool10: here that were willing to sell some extra parts they had. The pieces that I was able to salvage from my scooter, I repaired with Plastex. After I acquired a front upper fairing and dash, I got started on the gauge package.

* On the dash, I took a dremel tool and cut from the bottom of the cassette door opening on each side down to and around the cruise switch opening (sorry I didn’t think of taking pictures until I had it all formed together and painted, just use your imagination).

* Then I measured the opening to get an idea of how big a piece of ABS plastic I would need to do this. I salvaged a piece big enough from the busted upper front fairing above the headlight opening.

* I used the measurements and drew the design I wanted on a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum plate. After I cut it down to size I used a 1 5/8” hole saw and drilled two holes for oil pressure and water temperature gauges. I used a 1 7/8” hole saw for tach. I bought a set of Sunpro mini gauges from Advance Auto and a Drag Specialties tach through H.D. dealer. I used this piece of aluminum for my pattern to mark my piece of ABS. I later used it for a backing plate to strengthen and support the dash gauges. Picture #1 shows drawn outline.

* After I had cut my piece of ABS for my gauges, I cut three more pieces 1” x 2 ¼” to use as fillers to cover space between gauge base and where the cruise switch was. After all pieces were test fitted, I used a soldering gun to spot melt the plastic together in a few spots. I then used Plastex to fill and weld all the connecting joints. After the Plastex had hardened, I used sand paper and smoothed the edges and corners. Pictures #2-3 show underside of dash.

* Pictures #4-9 show dash after it was painted.

* Pictures #10-13 show test fit of gauges.

* Pictures #14-16 show finished dash on scooter.

As you can see (pic # 15) I would have had enough room to mount the cruise switch above the tach in between the water and oil gauges, but opted to move it down behind key switch in front of gas lid. I also used a 1/8” stereo cable from Radio Shack to extend aux. plug out onto handle bars.

I know Ponch was in a bad accident (I have been keeping up with the thread) and is in rehab and has a long way to go. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as they deal with this. I wanted to give him credit for his ideas and help that he gave me, as I had contacted him a few times with questions about the gauges and fittings he used. Thanks again, Ponch

C.R.

Edited by Steel Horse Cowboy
Add text and redo pictures

I hope this doesn’t ruffle any feathers or offend any one. I had originally given Ponch all the credit for the gauge package idea, but I was wrong :8:. Apparently, Ponch developed them from the idea of jlh3rd. So, I want to give credit to jlh3rd as well. Instead of trying to explain, I have posted the following correspondence between jlh3rd and myself.

gauges

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlh3rd

steel horse

...um...i didn't know how to say this so, i'm just gonna say it......the gauges in the dash were my idea....totally and completely.....i have no machining capability so i could not manufacture plates.....but ..the idea to manufacture plates, and also arrange a diamond configuration to fit bigger gauges were all my ideas and statements on this site.....ponch was able to carry through with what i had stated in this site and do a magnificent job of machining and selling kits.....before my accident in july, i was actually gonna order a plate kit from ponch......and i am extremely sorry for ponch's accident and hope he can fully recover.......i pm'd this just to you, not to put this in open forum.........but his "ideas" were all mine.......his taking my ideas and making them a reality for others on this sit and his manufacturing capabilities are all his....

i hope your enjoying the pipes

sincerely

john harrington...

End Quote

gauges

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy

John,

I'm sorry, I didn't know the gauges were your idea. I will gladly add to this post and give you recognition, that you had the original idea and Ponch was the one to follow through with development, if you are willing to let me.

The mufflers are great, I really do like them.

Again, I'm sorry about the miscredit.

C.R

End Quote

Re: gauges

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlh3rd

feel free to post whatever you like.....i certainly don't have any sayso as to what you'd like to post.....you know, be my guest........if you'd care to see the beginning of removing cassette and adding gauges....go to "vr tech"....then go to "second gen and royal star technical library" ...then, the electrical section....then "adding gauges"......

End Quote

VentureRider.Org> Tech Talk> Second Generation Venture Tech Talk

removed cassette, added gauges......done

Now when you go to the above thread started 02-27-2009, 2:38 PM, You will see the post below in which jlh3rd gives credit to V7Goose . I think V7Goose installed his gauges on his handle bars though. :think:

02-27-2009, 4:04 PM Page #2 Post #19

Quote:

jlh3rd

2007 venture

Supporting Member

i hate to make a promise and not keep it....but i'll try to do a write up ...sometime.....

a lot of the credit goes to goose as he had a write up for the gauges he installed

you can get these at an auto parts store....i ordered mine because i wanted electrical, not mechanical...and they cost double and only available in these colors and from this co. only.............i'd install mechanical knowing what i know now..........and white gauges would look better, which you can get in white, if they are mechanical...these are the 11/2 " size.... ..........

End Quote

So, I guess what I’m saying is……. If you deserve any credit in the gauge idea, it’s a great idea and several of us on here have followed through with it in different ways……. Thank you.:happy65::thumbsup:

Again, I hope no one is offended and I also hope that no one who posts any future comments to this thread uses this as an opportunity to say anything unkind or hateful about any one because of comments made. :no-no-no:

C.R.

Edited by Steel Horse Cowboy

Very nice job CR. I like it and also I like what you said about giving credit where credit is do. You really did a good job of explaining yourself and giving honor to all who helped. Just what I expected from a brother like you. Take care and that bike looks wonderful. Please tell your wife howdy for me. She is such a nice sweet person. Glad I met you all at Cumberland.

Fuzzy