IGNORED

Good Tires?

notwaiting

Greetings! Just purchased a 1988 Venture. Just registered with your site also.

I've been out of biking for over fifteen years until a good friend of mine and his wife purchased an '07 Venture and appeared to be having a great time and rekindled my interest.

The '88 model I just purchased is in great shape but it's needing tires. Any advise on what's good or what to stay away from?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. Right place to ask questions on these old girls.

I'm going to throw in for the Avon Venoms. Some have commented on cracking issues but I have had no problem with them. Great all round tire and do really well on wet roads. Just sticky enough to let you enjoy the twisties. I've run the current set to 21,200 miles and still have some left. I have a new set standing by for the next change.

Just my :2cents:

Mike

:2BLUE:

I put Metzlers on mine and have been happy once I got the feel for them....

You will likely get many responses with many different opinions on this subject, they are all correct and all will work well for the ones that suggest them... you need to feel out what it is you are looking for.

Dunlop E3, Avon, Metzler, are some of the most popular... some may even recommend a Goodyear radial but you have to think on them all.

:wel_4Wa: :2RED:

Yamaha calls for a 71 load index on your rear tire. If you're going to ride two up, and aren't particularly svelte, you'll probably be happier with a tire that has a higher load index.

The following tires will get you a 77 load index, which is rated for 148 lbs. more than a 71:

Kenda Kruz (I run this tire)

Metzeler ME880 (lots of people have had trouble with tread separation on this tire)

Avon Venom

Dunlop Elite III (78 load index)

Other than the Kruz these are premium tires and should have higher inflation pressure than Yamaha specified. Check their web sites for their recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

I run Metzlers on my Millenium and Dunlop E3s on my '88 Royale.

Great mileage out of the Metzlers and great handling out of the E3s.

Haven't had the opportunity to put too many miles on the '88, so I can't yet brag on the E3 mileage or wear.

I got really good mileage out of the original Dunlop 404s that came on the Millenium, but they just seemed too hard to me.

Seems the Metzlers grip better to me. But that's just my own assessment.

Never have tried the Venoms.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Also, since you've been away from riding for quite a while and may have forgotten about the tire mold release on new tires, just don't forget to scuff your new tires up really good as soon as you install them.

Greetings! Just purchased a 1988 Venture. Just registered with your site also.

I've been out of biking for over fifteen years until a good friend of mine and his wife purchased an '07 Venture and appeared to be having a great time and rekindled my interest.

The '88 model I just purchased is in great shape but it's needing tires. Any advise on what's good or what to stay away from?

Thanks!

I put Bridgestone Spitfire IIs on mine. They are cheap, they are made by Bridgestone, and I have never had a moments concern about them.

I put Bridgestone Spitfire IIs on mine. They are cheap, they are made by Bridgestone, and I have never had a moments concern about them.
I had Spitfire II tires on my Virago for about 4 years. They seemed to work quite well but the front tracked on metal bridge decks and both front and back danced a lot on tar snakes in the wet. They were replaced by E3's a year ago and I found they were never affected by metal grids and were almost never affected by tar snakes. While I was never particularly concerned about it there were quite a few serious pucker moments with the Spitfire II's.

Two months ago I put an E3 on the front of my 90 VR which has a good E2 on the rear and while there hasn't been a lot of rain around here since then, tar snakes have not been an issue on wet roads so far.

:2cents:

I run Metzlers on my Millenium and Dunlop E3s on my '88 Royale. Great mileage out of the Metzlers and great handling out of the E3s.

Haven't had the opportunity to put too many miles on the '88, so I can't yet brag on the E3 mileage or wear.

I got really good mileage out of the original Dunlop 404s that came on the Millenium, but they just seemed too hard to me. ----- Good luck with whatever you choose. -----

I am not a tire expert but I can share my own experience as I also ride an 88 VR and I went with E3's (both front and back) for my last change. I agree with others who say the E3's handle well for me, feel very safe (for example, on wet roads and over road snakes). I am also getting good mileage from them. I now have 45,000 km (almost 30,000 miles) on the front which I will replace this fall or next spring, although it looks like it would be good for at least another 5000+kms. Now, here is the major downside of E3s based on my experience. Especially with two up and hauling a trailer on my recent 13,0000 km trip, they create a noticeable ringing or howling sound. Also, I was told that they are vulnerable to cupping although I have not noticed any cupping until somewhere near 40,000 km on the front and it is minor so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

To be perfectly honest, I think it is up to the rider. Different people prefer different tires. I personally have Avon Venom's on my RSTD, and Perelli's on my Vstar. I love them both. Other than that, happy hunting =)

Flash18

• 1 year later...

I'm running the Bridgestone Spitfire IIs on mine as well with zero issues, metal grates and tar snakes included. I check tire pressure each time I go for a ride, and these tires seem to lose about 1-2psi/month. My bike has the progressive springs and superbrace, so I think that makes a difference. The bike goes where I point it, not where it may want to go.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'88VR