IGNORED

Thinking about buying a Venture...Question.

DANGEROUSDANA

I am thinking about buying a Venture. I worked in a Yamaha Store when I was a kid, and the owner let me take a new 1984 Venture home on weekends. I rode it pretty hard. A few years later, I bought a 1984 Aspencade. The Honda did not handle nearly as well as the Venture. I never really enjoyed the Aspencade unless I was rolling straight down the highway. I took it up through Northern Arkansas on some wonderful roads, but it required so much concentration to keep the bike going slow enough so as not to drag the pegs/footboards/centerstand that it was just not fun.

Fast forward to the present. I still like to ride fast. I know that the Goldwing now has a lot more ground clearance/higher lean angle and will go around corners much better than the older Goldwings. So, finally, here is my question. How does the current version of the Venture compare, lean angle-wise? I'm not looking for something with Ninja sportbike handling...But, I don't want to constantly have to be extremely careful not to drag things everytime I take a "spirited" ride down a nice twisty section of asphalt.

Surely, there are some "spirited" riders in this group that can advise me. If the Venture doesn't have much of a lean angle prior to throwing sparks, tell me.

I really loved that old 84. I think it was called a "Venture Royale". It was fast. It could go around a corner, and it had a nice stereo. Now, I am wanting something comfortable that can go long distances, carry me, my wife and 3 days worth of clothes and be fun in the twisties.

Thanks for your advice.

dana

Guest tx2sturgis

Surely, there are some "spirited" riders in this group that can advise me. If the Venture doesn't have much of a lean angle prior to throwing sparks, tell me.

I really loved that old 84. I think it was called a "Venture Royale". It was fast. It could go around a corner, and it had a nice stereo. Now, I am wanting something comfortable that can go long distances, carry me, my wife and 3 days worth of clothes and be fun in the twisties.

Maybe I can stir the stick a bit...motorcycles are like computers in this regard:

Pick the hardware based on the software you will be running. Coming from a VStrom, I will make a few assumptions about your preferred riding style.

The Venture weighs close to 900 pounds before you put any people on board. Its NOT a sport bike, or even a sport-tourer. Its a decent touring cruiser, but not a natural canyon carver. Its comfy, and will make easy work of crossing several state lines in a day.

And while the vast majority of members on here will try to be loyal, in reality, you might need something else. Maybe a Yamaha FJR1300, a BMW K1600GT, a Honda ST1300, Kawasaki Concours 1400... something like that.

Good luck!

Edited by tx2sturgis

The second gen Venture does not handle as good as the first gen but it does handle the twisties pretty good. You can lean a goldwing a little more but you can peg scrape on either one. I found the RSV a lot more comfortable than a Wing and it is less expensive and has a lot better warranty. It's all individual taste and riding style, so if you can test drive both then do so and form your own opinions...

I have an 83 (title says so) 1st gen. I can out handle and outrun two guys that ride a bunch with me that are good riders. One has a Dyna Glide and other has a Road Glide. Actually, I could outrun the Dyna up till this weekend, now we are pretty even (cost him about 5K on top of a stage 4 kit to do it though, 125 RWHP out of a HD.)

The 2nd gens (99-present) do not reportedly handle as well, which considering forward controls is to be expected.

Curb weight for a 1st gen is about 750#.

They are not a crotch rocket as far as handling, but not bad at all. Mono shock suspension makes the handling in curves more predictable than dual shock setups. They do not handle well at parking lot speed, but once you are at a speed where you start counter steering, it's not bad.

Gary

Edited by dingy

Please, if you're trying to find a bike that is comfy for you AND YOUR PARTNER/WIFE, see if you can take different bikes out for test rides.

I haven't found any bike as comfy, roomy, etc., as the Venture ever though I've never been on a Wing. I've been on many other "regular" bikes that are sort of meant to be long distance bikes (Honda Tourer, for instance) and they aren't even CLOSE to comfort like the Venture is.

I have a 05 since March. Have yet to drag the floorboards, that's with the wife onboard also. Been to the Dragon kept up with all the rest did not drag. I'm not saying you want drag at some point but if you ride like a pro it doesn't hurt to drag your floorboards. I love my bike it rides great!

I live in the Interior of British Columbia, all mountain roads. I ridden my 06 30,000 km the last two years and only hit the boards perhaps a dozen times. You still have a fair amout lean angle after the boards touch as they flip up. I'm not sure riding two up, as my wife isn't very heavy, I don't think it's that much different with her aboard. I don't ride aggressively with someone riding pillion, I can't imagine going down and hurting someone who puts their trust in my riding. I came off a Honda ST1300 and Valkyrie Interstate prior to this bike, and don't find it that much different in the twisties. It's heavy, and doesn't turn in as quickly, and naturally doesn't transition as smoothly on fast S type curves. The front end is a bit more vague when pushed hard, especially when the tires have more than about 10000-12000 kms. Remember, I'm talking at extremes here, a posted 60 km at 110 and up, on roads that I'm familiar with. I ride with buddies on 1200GS BMW's, and can hang with them on all but the absolute twistiest roads, they are actually quite amazed. It's by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned with decent performance and fun factor built in. Hope that helps, Ron :)

My previous bike was a 2008 Concours. It was great straight ahead but took a lot of effort to get it into a turn with speed. The front brakes were terrible. I had the rotors replaced at 6,000 miles due to warping, and when I traded it in on the RSV I was starting to notice the front brakes once again grabbing. Check out the Concours forum to see the issues they are having on their bikes. I have found it good to see what others are saying about their bikes on forums before investing. I also had a 2007 FJR 1300A. That was a great bike except for the seat. It was very uncomfortable. Everyone was getting the seat replaced. I have found that the seat on the RSV is the most comfortable stock seat I have had on a bike. The final decision must be yours. Test riide everything you are considering. I have found that no matter what you buy you will always be looking for something else. Boys and there Toys! IMOHA Yamaha builds the better bike.

Ell

Thanks for the honest opinions, everyone. I have not ridden the newer style Venture and did not realize that it had the foot forward design. I have ridden other bikes that have this design and it feels very unnatural to me. I will keep my eyes peeled for an older Venture. 1993 seems to be the newest old version. It probably will not be easy to find an immaculate one. Thanks, again. dana

Thanks for the honest opinions, everyone. I have not ridden the newer style Venture and did not realize that it had the foot forward design. I have ridden other bikes that have this design and it feels very unnatural to me. I will keep my eyes peeled for an older Venture. 1993 seems to be the newest old version. It probably will not be easy to find an immaculate one. Thanks, again. dana

The RSTD I bought was the first motorcycle I had in 40 years of riding that had floorboards. After a month or so to get used to it, I've decided it is more comfortable than foot pegs. I still have 2 bikes with foot pegs, but the RSTD and 2nd Gen Venture are more comfortable for all day riding.

Its not really a full forward like some custom bikes. Sit on one before making this a decision point.

1993 seems to be the newest old version. It probably will not be easy to find an immaculate one.

You would be surprised at how many real good, clean, low milage 1st Gens are out there!!!

Check Craigslist, ebay, Kijiji...there's usually multiples on the market at any time!

I just came off a big weekend of riding.I bought a Honda St1100 just for a change.There were about 8 of us in this group.The bikes varied from Harleys ,FJR1300 to 500CC Honda's.For the most part, we all stayed together and all rode hard through the straights and the twisty at our own comfort levels.It is a case of the rider having control of his bike.It was fun safe riding.Really, how fast do you really want to go? I want to come home to my loved ones!!:-)

I just came off a big weekend of riding.I bought a Honda St1100 just for a change.There were about 8 of us in this group.The bikes varied from Harleys ,FJR1300 to 500CC Honda's.For the most part, we all stayed together and all rode hard through the straights and the twisty at our own comfort levels.It is a case of the rider having control of his bike.It was fun safe riding.Really, how fast do you really want to go? I want to come home to my loved ones!!:-)

Sounds like a perfect ride to me!! :happy34:

I got mine New in 2006, i am 270 lbs & i think its a GR8 bike for any guy. But i am getting old & can't do the things that you are talking about any more. LOL Its going up for sale in the spring. i don't ride as far anymore, Wife can't ride no more, Looking at 650 Burgman or 400 burgman or silver wing Honda

I have had my 2001 Royal star venture for three weeks now.I had an 81 Goldwing and a 2002 Vulcan 1500 classic and most recently the 1988 Kawasaki voyager 1200 and me and my wife both say the Venture by far is the most comfortable bike we been on yet and the most fun to ride.I always thought my Voyager was such a smooth comfortable ride but the venture has changed my mind.Now I am really dreading winter coming,I will be going nuts everytime I go to my shop and see my bike sitting there and can't ride.

I came across a great deal on a 2000 Millenium with bub slip ons, a corbin seat and some extra lights. It has a short windshield on it and has a new tall one still in box. It is immaculate. 35,000 miles. Going to pick it up this evening. Thanks, for all the recommendations. dana

I love my Millenium. Its a great ride.

See you on the road.