IGNORED

Bad Paint

eds

Trike is 8 weeks old and noticing problems with paint. I sent pictures to hannigan so it'll be interesting to see how they handle. When the Trike was originally scheduled there was a 10 day delay due to paint problems.

Air/Moisture under the clearcoat?

This is very unlikely to be the culprit. If it was a standard base/clear application and done properly the base coat (which contains the color) is applied in two or three coats with allowing sometime for the paint to 'flash' in between then topped off with 2 or 3 coats of clear applied in the same fashion. The time between applying the base and clear should have been quite minimal (on the order of 5-10 minutes). Additionally, if the problem was air/moisture under the clear one would see clear peel due to poor adhesion. Contaminants such as dirt or the gasses escaping from the material over time would cause bubbling (known as fish eyes which comes up right away), small specs in the paint that do not contribute to peeling but are visible as imperfections that look like small grains of salt that have been painted and stuck to the bike. Unless the paint is actually peeling off then you can be pretty sure that it is not due to poor preparation.

From the pictures it is really hard to tell and I would have to feel it to know for sure but the few potential explanations that come to mind are as follows (in no particular order):

1) Something has rubbed on it after it has been painted (I doubt it based on the pictures though)

2) Whoever painted it dragged the air hose, clothing or whatever on that surface during the paint process thereby causing the inconsistencies in the paint and 'flake'

3) Someone had tried to rub and buff some of the paint imperfections out and burned through the clear, hence disturbing the flake and base coat. You may not have noticed when you picked it up because they would have put a nice coat of wax over the top of it which would have helped hide some of the fact that they burned through the paint. The shape of the marks as well as the position on the panel (with respect to the curves and whatnot) it looks to me like it was burned through by the edge of a buffing wheel.

Again it is hard to tell based on the picture alone, hopefully they will make it right. I wonder what kind of paint 'problems' they were having the first time around...

By the way, my family owned and operated a body shop for a few years and I did quite a bit of body work and painting, so I do have some experience in this field...

They WILL make it right no matter what.

I had a trunk lid after the first year warp

on my a bit they repainted a new one

and shipped it right out to me. great ever since.

they were having some bad reason issues they year

for the trunk lids, even the goldwings had it happen as well.

Sorry just got back in Ft. Lauderdale from 7 day cruise, got email from Dealer and and Hannigan has authorized to have the fender hand glazed and buffed to see if this corrects it. I should have results tomorrow. :Cool_cool36:

My Hannigan kit was done in May and when I picked it up I noticed what I thought were several rub marks in the paint and a line or run across the back of the left fender plus some dull areas. I pointed it out to the installer who offered to take it to a local paint shop and have it buffed out if I would bring the bike back to him and drop it off for a couple of days. Not up to 2 round trips at 250 miles each, so decided to live with it. All in all, not overly impressed with the paint job from Hannigan.

I pick up the Trike on Friday. I have made the 180 mile round trip on a couple occassions, however they have also came and picked up mu trike and delivered it back to me when they would have a trailer available. Offroad Express in Erie ,PA has been terrific to work with so I decided to use their body shop for the work. I'll let everyone know how it looks when I get back. Can't just pick it up and drive back to Buffalo thats to easy. I'll probably have to go home way of Cleveland and Pittsburgh or up to Detroit and back through Canada.:think:

OK! Picked up Trike and not acceptable.:( Hand Glazing and buffing did nothing to improve. Dealer is now going back to Hannigan for authorization for full repainting. Hannigan wanted to try this process first. I don't expect any problems with them, in the mean time I am going to continue riding and dealer will pick up at end of riding season. Which here in Buffalo,NY could be anytime between now and January.:fingers-crossed-emo