IGNORED

GPS

kmarr

I presently have a Garmin 255W (Now discontinued) but I plan on getting a Garmin 2350 because it allows you to download actual routes which you can plan on a computer. I don't need XM or Bluetooth so I prefer not to pay the extra dollars for that. As for being waterproof, I have a Givi GPS mount that comes with a waterproof cover although I've seen riders who slipped a Baggie over their unit...they said that it works quite well.

Andy

Garmin Zumo 660 Love it. Waterproof, readable in sunlight, motorcycle specific. Like Freebird said the 665 has satelite but the 660 does not. I have no interest in satelite so the 660 works perfect for me. It's like having two units. Comes with cradles for the bike

AND for the cage. Is smart enough to know where it is being used and can be set up for either location. Routes can be preplanned and uploaded or shared with other garmin users that have the routes option. Screen is large enough to see easily. Has bluetooth so can be connected to bluetooth devices (headsets, phones etc)

Anyhow that is the GPS of choice for me... you will get lots of different ideas on this and your pocketbook can define what choice will make.. Zumos are expensive.

i use a TomTom 930,it has mp3 player, takes sd mem cards(8gigs is a lot of tunes) ,fm transx ,bluetooth for cel, works with gloves on ,not the best in direct sunlight but i bought a little sunshade and cradle from ram mount which helps a bit . it also has Euro maps on it which i have used for alot of trips back to the UK(great for all them speed cams).its not waterproof but a sandwhich bag just happes to fit perfectly.

Garmin Nuvi 855, supports downloaded routes and becomes waterproof with the help of a ziplock bag.

For motorcycles, I highly recommend you get a model that supports downloading routes. Here is a link listing the basic features of all Garmin models including which support routes.

http://developer.garmin.com/web-device/garmin-communicator-plugin/device-support-matrix/

Cheers,

Dan

• 1 year later...
Don't laugh , I am using a :

MAGELLAN ROADMATE GPS RV9165T-LM

Your GPS is NASA compared to mine. I do not own a GPS. I use google maps, get the info, maps and subsequent detours, then write them down step by step on large index cards, which I sticky dot to the tank bib or windshield. Have done that for years. Yes it's barbaric and archaic but it works for me, even when travelled out of state. Plus I am an excellent map reader for maps at those fuel stops

I use my iPhone for everything. Does perfect job for me.GPS, speedometer mapping road. iTunes, Radio, Audiobooks, internet, 100 more apps...and works like phone to.

Backup is my 8 years old Magellan 2200T Waterproof 3 1/2".

My next one will be iPad mini so I don't have to carry laptop anymore. For 300 bux you get way more than just GPS 7" screen is good enough even on direct sunlight. There is bunch of accessories for tablets like cradle, power cab els, and Apps.

Pantech made waterproof tablet http://www.pantechusa.com/phones/element, but I'm not Android guys I think it stink as other android based devices. Just my 2c.

Edited by stardbog

Barry, you have what I affectionetly call a Flintstone GPS. My best riding buddy down in Nevada...known hin for 35+ years, while he has a Garmin 665, he is too old to really know how to use it, so he really does leave it at home, and he does what you do...maps out his own route,puts it all down on paper, and uses the maps notes on his tankbag. It is the funniest thing to see, since I know he owns a Garmin 665. :confused07:

When we ride together, he has accepted that the Garmin 550 that I use has saved his bacon several times, so he has learned to listen to me when I say...we need to go left...not right.

So, I use an older Garmin 550, and I also have a separate XM radio receiver on the bike. I looked at upgrading to a newer Garmin 665, like Freebird has, but...I am so used to my 550, they are easy to use, and if you do a search, you will find that a USED 550 costs as much or more money than a NEW 665, because of the demand for the older 550 models. Riders just :bighug: that Garmin 550.

:backinmyday:

I also have a Magellan Roadmate with the 4.3 screen and it works good for me. I got it off one of the daily deal things for about $50 a couple of years ago. It was a refurbished unit, but it looked brand new in the box and has worked perfect. I mounted it on the left handlebar and that works good also.

RandyA

Howard, I put on the free Pandora and my GPS. If it sends me around something I do it and I have seen traffic completely snarled as I drive by on a side road and the redirected back to where I want to go. I hate sittin in traffic so it works for me. . .

I bought a Garmin 756t refurb a couple years ago. under $100 even with extended warrenty thru square trade. At the time I bought it I wanted 3 things. 1-programable with a map program. (I use TYRE its free) 2-Had to have an aux output 3-FM transmitter. At the time thats how I was listening to it over a radio on the bike. that system dont work real well but the aux out does. It isnt waterproof but the plastic baggy work OK. When my cable shows up from buddy it will enable me to connect my phone thru blue tooth. It has an SD card for tunes.

I still will even if I have the route all loaded in the GPS, print out a map of the days travel and put it in the map pouch of the tank bag.

I have used 2 Tom Toms and 1 Garmin for a year +. Now 1 unit or th other is in my bag in case of emergency. They are all, each and every one, OK. Nothig more. From a strict navigation point of view. 2 trips I ran both Tom Toms, my Nuvi, and a borrowed Magellan(?) CRS . Any given destination could return 3 or 4 variations in routing. Some of which can SERIOUSLY stink. Urban areas especially were erratic. They would get you there, or at least close,but routing was iffy. No one brand was better or worse, just all were different. No biggy if you don't mind getting ff one exit early and driving 9 miles through stop lights instead of staying on Rt 1 and getting off a mile from the stop. (Dover De.) Or taking me down Big Hungry Ceek Rd in NC to a road that never actually existed. Ever. It was at one time a (tough) horse path, never anything but. This was with freshly updated software and (or) maps.They are only as good as their programming and updates.

I don't carry any one of them on the bike. I do have maps. And it's easy to print step by step directions from the net. Just actually match the map to the directions to double check.

Kinda getting to like old school for some reason. :backinmyday: