IGNORED

Screaming Speedometer

Krazykarl

• 3 weeks later...

I have this problem too. I know exactly where the lube needs to go but it's such a pita to get at I haven't found time, energy or inclination. Here's how I live with the problem.

Mine is only afflicted in cold weather, so on cold mornings, I take the core of the speedo cable out (by extracting it at the wheel end) thus disabling the dash speedo. I then rely on the gps display for my speed. Later when the day warms up, I put the cable core back in. I've got quite adept at it and can do it by the roadside if necessary. I carry a rag to wrap the greasy core in.

I'll do it right one day but for now, that's how I cope.

Hope this is of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

If your very careful you can drill and install a grease zerk in the speedo shaft. My speedo squealed until it seized and twisted off the cable on the way home after I bought it. It didn't help that it was Jan 5th and below freezing. I got it freed up and lubed but it would still act up now and then. Then I tried the zerk. 4 years later and I haven't heard a peep out of it.

Bill

I disconnected the speedo cable from the wheel and duct tape it as high as I could to something higher than the speedo. Then mounted a funnel to the opening of the cable and poured motor oil into the funnel. I let it sit for a couple day. Problem gone for years. That's Army engineering.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine started whining bad about the first fifty degree ride here, I think I will try Scotts thing first, then maybe go with the grease zerk if Scotts doesnt work for mine. Maybe pull the inner cable til I can get Scotts tried, since I dont want to do damage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did the army engineering fix, pulled out the inner cable, poured a bit of oil into the housing and held the housing up as high as I could get it for a half hour, and it worked fine. Its colder now than when it started, and there hasnt been a peep from it in the last few rides since I did that fix.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick THANKS to all those contributing on this thread, and referenced threads. Mine was squealing in the mornings so I took the advice given here, put some lightweight oil in the cable tube and used some compressed air (somewhat low pressure) and blew it up to the speedo. Now it's quiet day/night. :cool10: