IGNORED

Putting Bike in Storage

full tank of gas (as much as you can get in) with a good dose of seafoam added, fresh oil, maybe some fresh antifreeze. wipe the bike all over with some pledge or similar stuff (easier to clean when your back,helps with rust to) . a blankey or two and a good bike cover .:cold: if your worried to much about the cold temps a 60 or 100 w bulb in a metal caged trouble light can chuck out a bit of heat.

If you can, take the battery out and put it somewhere it will not go below zero Celsius and put it on a trickle charger (that stops when the battery is charged). Don't put it on concrete or steel.

I'd think putting it on a lift or jack might be good for the tires but I don't know that one for sure - never had to store something that long.

Hope you enjoy your time abroad!

Pages 8-3,4 in the owner's manual discuss long term storage. Summation below.

1) Fill gas tank and add fuel stabilizer.

2) Add a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder and then cycle the engine a few times to coat the cylinder walls.

3) Lube cables.

4) Put the bike on a lift to get the wheels off the ground (I recommend CarbonOne's lift adapter with legs).

5) Cover exhaust pipes with plastic bags - keep out moisture and critters.

6) Coat all exposed metal surfaces with light film of oil.

7) Remove battery and properly store (use maintenance changer).

You might also put out a request for anybody in your area who has a spare spot open in a heated garage. $10 or $15 a month would provide some additional peace of mind.

RR

If your going to "fill the tank up with gas", get high test without ethanol...

over the months the octane will degrade... some fill tank up if they are concerned about rust in the tank but unless your using fuel with ethanol or you are storing tank empty in a damp place...

I personally run all the gas out of tank till the engine quits with the petcock in the on position(only want to keep the gallon or so that is left in reserve).

Buy some engine fogger take all plugs out and spray in all four cylinders while cycling engine.

Next, pour in 1/2 can seafoam and 1 ounce of fuel stabilizer, "shake" push bike foward and hit brakes, turn petcock on reserve and turn ignition on until fuel pump turns off, that way your carbs will be devarnishing themselves for a year and seafoam does not hurt the gaskets. Turn petcock OFF.

When you get ready to start a year or two from now, drain the carbs using carb bowl drain screws, add five gallons of 87 octane, then turn petcock to ON position.

Clean bike and use a good grade wax on bike "not a car wash wax" i don't like to use covers of any kind as they can draw damp.

store battery in non freezing, dry place using a known good trickle charger...

take weight off tires

cork exhaust ends(dont want anything (finding a new home there)

You might just save some :mo money: with proper planning

Don't store your bike in a damp garage (will reak havoc on electronics) and make sure you steel wool all little nooks and crannies of you garage so the insects and mice can't get in... Mud dubbers have the duRndest way of finding the air intakes on our bikes....

Edited by CaptainJoe

the problem with emptying the tank isn't the fuel, its the air in the tank that will collect moisture and then cause condensation when the temperature drops. You're much better off with a full tank and sea foam, as there is then little air to bring moisture into the tank.

Plastic bags on the exhaust is not a good idea traps moisture

Steel wool in the exhaust ends to keep out critters if you are worried

Sea foam check

Breathable cover no blankets or anything that can't breath I use a bed sheet.

Spray the entire bike metal parts especially with wd40. Have been doing this for years for our long winters and have had excellent results no rust on any of the bike I have stored this way when you get back to ride a good wash put the battery back in and enjoy

I also like to change the oil before putting a bike away clean oil not combustion related acid build up