IGNORED

Spyder Touring IMPRESSIVE!!

KarlS

Did the demo ride today on a Spyder Touring and was shocked and impressed. A lot nicer then I expected and well worth the price of a Wing. Thing is so comfortable and the clutch-less paddle shifting is great. Has more bells and whistles then you can imagine and all sorts of storage space. I got the adjustable on the fly suspension system set and I couldn't feel a bump. Before the ride I asked the rep about comments I heard that it was twitchy steering, it has power assisted fly- by- wire steering. He said the riders that felt the twitch was more the likely griping it to tight. Sure enough as soon as i took off I felt the twitchy steering and lighted my grip and all was fine after that. I started out downshifting my self but it will downshift for you and I started letting it do it and it worked great, thing runs 55 mph at 3200 RPM in 5th, I let it slow down to 35mph in 5th then gassed it and no bog at all. When you paddle shift you don't let off the gas at all and at one spot was able get it on and the thing is quick. Lot of thought has gone into this Spyder with the traction control, ABS and all the computers and all comes together real good. That trailer for it looks regular from the outside but when you open it up it's HUGE. The trailer has electric brakes and when you plug it into the Spyder it calculates the weight and adjusts the gas, shifting and brakes to accommodate the extra weight. The thing that would take time to get use to is cornering, gives you the feeling that it will tip over or throw you off, but it won't, just the lack of leaning gives you that feeling on the first few turns. If the Spyder Truck comes to your area do yourself a favor and go take a ride, there is a lot more to them that you might think. OH the stereo sounds great and it even come with adjustable hand warmers for the passenger. The touring and the Sport are as different as a RSV and a crouch rocket so if you rode one when they first came out there are a huge difference.

My wife and were in Cherokee North Carolina in May. We checked into a motel and a guy came up on a touring spyder from the state of Washington. He said he had been on the road for three weeks and was going to ride the Tail of The Dragon the next day and then head down to Florida and then start back to Washington. I told him to be careful on the dragon and I told him the curves would sneek up on you. He said he wasn't an agressive driver but the spyder's suspension would automatically adjust and keep the wheels on the ground. He said over the years he had three goldwings and two goldwing trikes and said they couldn't compare to the spyder. I've never ridden one so can't say but he said he would never have anything but a spyder.

... at least up here in the Great White North (or Brrrrrrrr! for short!), that the CanAm folks are working on a leaning front suspension for 2013 or 2014. If anyone else does a test ride, how about asking them about this. Actually, there is a company from Montreal, PQ (Province of Quebec) that has a trike package with a leaning rear suspension right now. They had some demo models at the big International Toronto Bike Show at the beginning of last January. Should make for some interesting cornering!

Andy

You mentioned that the steering was fly by wire.

I would really not like for an electrical issue to take away my ability to steer.

If it really is fly by wire steering, that would be a deal breaker for me, especially once they start getting old enough for me to be able to afford one.

You mentioned that the steering was fly by wire.

I would really not like for an electrical issue to take away my ability to steer.

If it really is fly by wire steering, that would be a deal breaker for me, especially once they start getting old enough for me to be able to afford one.

The steering is not a fly by wire. It is a 12V power steering. Works good.

Ride safe Bob.

Jeannie and I did our demo rides today. I thought it was a fun little machine. Took about 10 minutes to get used to shifting while still on the throttle, acceleration was good but not what I expected, that may be because I was on the touring model, not the sport. Has all kinds of cool features on it. It has a nice ride to it. Steering it reminded me of a snowmobile with about 15" of carbide on the ski's and lots of studs (like it was on rails) . I'd consider one for a second bike but I wouldn't trade the RSV for one. Jeannie on the other hand LOVED IT and wants one now :doh:, of course she hasn't rode a Wing trike yet so we'll see.

Met up with Carbon One (Larry) and star4772 (Joe) , grabbed a bite to eat then a nice backroads :biker: back into town. :thumbsup2: