IGNORED

Brake answer one more time please within 8 hrs

Yammer Dan

What R1 calipers are a direct bolt on for my 86?? 98 thru 02?

Found nice set on E-Bay going off at about 4 this evening. Should have found them sooner. Is there a difference between 85 and 86 on the Venture?

Dan.. Any R1 or R6 caliper where the mounting bolts are on the side and horizontal will fit your '86. The type that won't work are those with the mounting bolts are on top and vertical. They're sorta easy to distinguish. The vertical calipers look like a brick. Trying to figure out what years will work gives me a headache.... :)

Thanks Jack I thought they would. I found a good looking set (all Three) for little less than 100 bucks to me. They seen to be getting higher. How does that sound to you? I think calipers and steel lines on the thing might be coming. The older I get the more I want good brakes?? I know SkyDoc has some nice ones but trying to stretch that retirement check. I know Earl agrees with me on that. I'm not sure if 85 Venture calipers are the same.

Thanks Jack I thought they would. I found a good looking set (all Three) for little less than 100 bucks to me. They seen to be getting higher. How does that sound to you? I think calipers and steel lines on the thing might be coming. The older I get the more I want good brakes?? I know SkyDoc has some nice ones but trying to stretch that retirement check. I know Earl agrees with me on that. I'm not sure if 85 Venture calipers are the same.

I'm not sure on the '85 either, but if if it does have 4 piston front calipers they should be plug and play. I usually just replace the fronts, and leave the rear alone. I've picked up several really nice front sets off Ebay for $40-$50 bucks. Blue dot or Gold... doesn't make much difference. $100 for the 3 sounds a little steep. I'd do a search daily when looking, and eventually someone lists a set that really wants to sell them. They are not a rare item. Look at THESE. Do an Ebay search for R1 Calipers or R6 calipers.

I think thats the front ones I was looking at Jack. There is ad for rear from same place that looks just as good. Total would be between 75 to 100. Haven't figured it yet. I thought do them all while I was in there. I'm working on getting some steel lines too.

I picked up a set of mint Blue Dots with the stainless lines for $40 bucks. If the lines will fit I'll put them on the '99... No way they'll fit a MkI... :) Actualy if I remember correctly I have a rear that has a stainless wandering around here somewhere??? :think: BTW both of the R1 calipers wil fit in a medium flat rate box @ $15 bucks to ship. Don't let them get to ya....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190569639431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought this set Jack. Came in cheaper. Pic not as good but milage is good. Should clean up and be ready to go....er or stop!! I might do the rear one later.

Thanks again!!

Tried the link and got an 'item removed' notice. So I guess it's a done deal. The set I put on the '83 I didn't even have to change the pads. They worked fine. 'Course anything that helped on the '83 was an improvement.... :whistling:

Mike, If my memory serves me, if you swap to Mk2 tubes you would also have to get the anti-dives swapped too. Somebody can confirm this? Or you could get the blank off plates from Earl if he still has 'em.

:confused07:

You can't swap out the AD's. The MKI's are hydralic and the MKII's are electrical. When I changed mine to the MKII's I left the AD's on but didn't wire them up. Progressives and the CLASS took care of any 'diving' when hitting the brakes...

You can't swap out the AD's. The MKI's are hydralic and the MKII's are electrical. When I changed mine to the MKII's I left the AD's on but didn't wire them up. Progressives and the CLASS took care of any 'diving' when hitting the brakes...

You are right Condor, but what I was saying is if he puts the lower legs from a MkII on his MKI he does have to use a MkII AD or blank them off, which was what you said! Right?

Thanks

You are right Condor, but what I was saying is if he puts the lower legs from a MkII on his MKI he does have to use a MkII AD or blank them off, which was what you said! Right?

Thanks

Sorry Zane, I interpreted your post to read that you also had to swap out the MKI AD's to the MKII forks.... My bad.... :bang head: