IGNORED

USA Today - 1 in 7 drivers uninsured

XV1100SE

A lot of drivers in Georgia have figured out how to beat the system. They buy insurance and pay a down payment and never make another payment. When this happens they get a letter for DMV stating their insurance cancelled and they must pay a $25.00 fee to the local tag office and show proof of insurance. If they ignore this notice they will get another one in 90 days stating their registration for the vehicle has been suspended and they must pay $85.00 to reinstate the registration. They wait until it's time to renew their tag and they pay the $85.00 fee to reinstate the registration and pay a down payment on insurance and start the cycle over again. It's cheaper to pay the fees than the insurance. There's one thing that can throw a "monkey wrench" in this system. If they get stopped for a traffic violation and don't have insurance the vehicle is towed and they can't get it back until they have insurance and pay the fees. The only problem is the people with insurance have to pay.

• 3 weeks later...

scary part is many of the uninsured do not cary valid drivers license. when I took the rider safety class(aftger 30 years riding) they claimed 40% of motorcycle riders do not have a valid MC license. I highly reccomend the motor cycle safety classes, I was amazed at how many bad habits I had developed over the years, and thats just talking Motorcycles

Al

In Florida you are not required to have insurance on a motorcycle unless of course you owe money on it, so I did not put insurance on my bike because I thought if I got in an accident I would be dead and would not care, well here I am with almost 100,000 in medical bills and still kicking so it was a tough lesson to learn.

:bawling: