IGNORED

Deal's Gap - The Other Road NC28

RandyR

My nephew was given an early medical discharge from the Marines last week and has been stationed near Ft. Worth, TX. So rode here to my place in N. Georgia on his was to northern KY to visit his 2 kids (living with his Ex).

He's got a beautiful, copper colored recent Vrod. Thats likely the Harley I would want.

Rode some roads around the area Saturday, most of which were visited during the Vogel rally and wound up in Helen for supper.

Sunday he wanted to ride the Dragon. We took the ride up US129 past Vogel and straight up 129 to Deals Gap, got there just before noon and had lunch.

I turned him loose to ride the Dragon and on his way to Knoxville and north while I tried a new road.

The Fontana Road is the 'other' road which runs north of US129 coming to a junction at Deals Gap. I haven't ridden it before.

What a treat. Its NC28 and runs all the way to Franklin, a 2 hour ride of mostly narrow 2 lane twisty slow road. There were a couple spots where it was 4 lane or improved, but not too many miles of that. A lot of NC28 overlooks the Little Tennessee River.

At Franklin there are lots of good riding roads to jump to, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Stay on NC28 to The Highlands and US64 east, north on 441 to Maggie Valley or Gatlinburg, or US64 back towards Murphy, NC.

And Hwy 28 is great below Highlands too, down to Walhalla, SC.

Then find your way back to North, GA (go to Dillard House).

When I go to the Dragon, I probably enjoy the 100+ miles of Hwy 28 as much as the dragon.

I like a ride, don't have to have a "challenge".

From Columbia, SC it's fun to head to Clemson area, catch 28, then to Bryson City, to Cherokee, then the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville and shoot back on I-26. Makes a nice ride day if you leave early.

Mike G

And Hwy 28 is great below Highlands too, down to Walhalla, SC.

Then find your way back to North, GA (go to Dillard House).

When I go to the Dragon, I probably enjoy the 100+ miles of Hwy 28 as much as the dragon.

I like a ride, don't have to have a "challenge".

From Columbia, SC it's fun to head to Clemson area, catch 28, then to Bryson City, to Cherokee, then the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville and shoot back on I-26. Makes a nice ride day if you leave early.

Mike G

Hwy 28 from Deals to Fontana is nick named Hellbender and from 64/74 down to Franklin is Moonshiner. If you get the chance ride hwy 107 out of Sylva,NC down to Tuckasegee, NC then down hwy 281 to hwy 64 to Brevard, NC then hwy 276 to the Blue Ridge or all the way to Waynesville, NC. Loop we do often my :2cents: :D

Hwy 28 from Deals to Fontana is nick named Hellbender and from 64/74 down to Franklin is Moonshiner. If you get the chance ride hwy 107 out of Sylva,NC down to Tuckasegee, NC then down hwy 281 to hwy 64 to Brevard, NC then hwy 276 to the Blue Ridge or all the way to Waynesville, NC. Loop we do often my :2cents: :D

Mike,

Does Hwy281 Between Tuckasegee, NC & Lake Toxaway, NC have a stretch that is dirt?

Just wondering if that is the road I was thinking about. Seems that I thought it was dirt for about 10 miles.?

A couple of nice county roads in the area also. Hwy 64 East out of Franklin catch the county road Ellijay turning left just before you reach the beginning of the gorge. Ellijay Road will take you over to Hwy 107 or when you get to the intersection that has CullowheeMountain Road turning right & then Left on Pine Creek Road or Right on North Norton Road. All lead back to Hwy 107.

What a treat. Its NC28 and runs all the way to Franklin, a 2 hour ride of mostly narrow 2 lane twisty slow road. There were a couple spots where it was 4 lane or improved, but not too many miles of that. A lot of NC28 overlooks the Little Tennessee River.

At Franklin there are lots of good riding roads to jump to, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Stay on NC28 to The Highlands and US64 east, north on 441 to Maggie Valley or Gatlinburg, or US64 back towards Murphy, NC.

I love to run 28 from 129 to 143. It's one of my favorite rides. It actually runs all the way to Augusta but remains a great ride all the way down to Walhala SC.

I like to take Warwoman Rd. (another great rd) out of Clayton Ga. to 28, take a left and go up the mtn. to Highlands NC.

yes i got a shirt hellbender- kool

Mike,

Does Hwy281 Between Tuckasegee, NC & Lake Toxaway, NC have a stretch that is dirt?

Just wondering if that is the road I was thinking about. Seems that I thought it was dirt for about 10 miles.?

A couple of nice county roads in the area also. Hwy 64 East out of Franklin catch the county road Ellijay turning left just before you reach the beginning of the gorge. Ellijay Road will take you over to Hwy 107 or when you get to the intersection that has CullowheeMountain Road turning right & then Left on Pine Creek Road or Right on North Norton Road. All lead back to Hwy 107.

Brian, 281 is paved all the way, Explorer Road ( cuts across between 281 and 215 ) used to have a dirt stretch but not sure if it still does. We run 28 to 64 in Franklin toward Highlands and turn left at Walnut creek and go over to Pine creek across the dam to 107 a few time a year also. We really like riding over there. I know the area your talking about, we"ll have to get together and ride one of these days.

Brian, 281 is paved all the way, Explorer Road ( cuts across between 281 and 215 ) used to have a dirt stretch but not sure if it still does. We run 28 to 64 in Franklin toward Highlands and turn left at Walnut creek and go over to Pine creek across the dam to 107 a few time a year also. We really like riding over there. I know the area your talking about, we"ll have to get together and ride one of these days.

Let me know next time you ride this. Maybe we can pull together some of GA riders.

Let me know next time you ride this. Maybe we can pull together some of GA riders.

Randy,

I will try and let you know next time. You know how it is trying to plan, when the weather is right you just need to ride.

Maybe I can see about a camping / weekend or weekday ride. The Blue Ridge Campground @ Curso, NC HWY 256 is a great place to meet and ride from.

Brian

Mike,

Sounds great! If you are over this way give me a call. I work out of the house so I am usally here and can get away for a ride. Glad to know someone else likes the area and knows some of the roads around. Sounds like you know the roads up around Erwin, TN.

What a great area, weather it is the Interstate or State Hwy or County Road. I don't think you can go wrong in these Hills.

Give us a shout sometime we would love to ride.

Brian & Sherrie Lee