IGNORED

Test rode a BMW 1600 GTL today

frankd

Barb and I are down in Murfreesboro TN at our daughter's house. My son-in-law and I got to talking about the bikes he has test ridden, and the topic of the BMW 1600GTL came up. He'd gone to the Nashville dealer (Bloodsworth) and looked at it, but it was raining that day so he couldn't go for a test ride. Today we went up there and Barb and I went for a ride.

It sure is a lot different than a MKII first Gen!!! The luggage is pretty small. The travel trunk is real big on the outside, but it's 2 layers, so the inside is way smaller than the MkII. The sadle bags have a real neat mounting system. They go on and off the bike in about 2 seconds flat. The motor is fantastic. Super smooth and unbelieveable power--everywhere. I ran it from a 3000 rpm run in 1st gear. You could feel the computer cut the power back whenever it would start to lift the front tire. Even in 6th gear from 55 mph, the power is great. Barb says it doesn't souind like a motorcycle though. The transmission shifts good, but there is a lot of gear lash in the driveline---way worse than either my 89 or my 83 with 150K on it. It turns great. Really great. I think it's because of the front suspension. The brakes are way too touchy. If you are old enough to remember getting into your friends early 60's Olds. or Pontiac and coming to a screeching stop while just touching the brake pedal, that's what the BMW brakes seem like. Even when I was trying to stop real gentle, it was an abrupt stop. There is some time delay between the throttle by wire and the motor responding, but it's not too bad. The passenger portion of the seat comfortable, but it took Barb some time to get used to it. She liked the seat heater, but says the back rest was terrible. I hated the front seat, but it had the shorter one. The dealer says he thinks he'll get a higher seat in soon. The wind protection from the fairing is no where as good as the first Gen. You have to use a bluetooth if you want communication with your passenger. I didn't play too much with all the toys, except I did switch the damping on the suspension. In the comfort position, it rides smoothly, and it gets stiffer when on normal or whatever they call the higher position. There is a lot less passenger room compared to either a 1st. or 2nd gen.

If I left anything important out, please ask away.....

Frank D.

Frank, got a simple question. How tall are you? I've sat on the 1200, but didn't get a test ride. Haven't parked my butt on a 1600 yet but that's will happen before the end of the season.

If your shorter than I am, 6'2", I'm going to have some problems with the fairing issues to.

Just curious.

Mike

So its an amazing very capable motorcycle. Hopefully its pretty quiet not some annoying noise machine like some people that feel the need to blip the throttle with overly loud pipes. Your probably used to the crappy 1st gen brakes at least( I think they leave alot to be desired.) Good brakes would be a nice change. Though it seems people room is for smaller people and storage isnt as big. I dont like harleys throttle by wire either same issue slight delay.

Yes, it is an amazing motorcycle. I didn't try any parking lot turns, but I didn't notice that it's top heavy. But then I've been riding a 1st Gen for 28 years. The throttle is real touchy and the bike has very little flywheel mass, so taking off from a stop is something else to get used to. I killed it several times, although we were 2 up.

The bike is quiet. There is some whining at idle, but at speed I didn't notice any. My 89 has stock mufflers, and the BMW is slightly quieter than that. I didn't object to the sound of the motor at all, but Barb didn't feel that it sounded like a motorcycle. For reference, I don't like the way an 1800 Gold Wing sounds--to bland. This doesn't sound bland.

Brakes.....Yes, I'm comparing it to a 1st. Gen, but I do ride other bikes and I don't feel the brakes are too touchy on them. My son in law has a Suzuki cruiser, and the brakes don't feel too touchy on that, and neither does a Gold Wing. The BMW's were touchy, real touchy.

I am also 6' 2''. My inseam is only 32'', and I'm long in the body. The adjustable windshield moves, but the air never gets still.

If I forgot to answer any questions, please ask them again.

Frank D.

I was comparing it to a 2007 venture and a FJR. Nice bike little short on passenger room. quieter than the Venture, about the same as the FJR. the engine is designed to as light as possible, every little sound inside the moteor can be heard, needs a little more Metal. It is a lot more peppy than the venture, about the same as the fjr, might give the 1600 the edge there but not by ten grand. chasis is too small for a good touring bike but again not bad for a sport touring bike. There are a lot of gadgets to fiddle with but no time to learn with a test ride. Could probably make it better by tweeking the settings. It was ok and a fun test ride, but I didn't come away saying it was going to be my next bike, like the FJR did.

Al

• 3 years later...

I test rode one this weekend and fell in love it. I'm not a big guy (5'8") but found the riding position a little too "sporty".

I'm wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to take a long ride on one? How was it?

I went on an Indian test ride last Friday. Not really interested in them styling wise. I hopped on a scout. Boy was that way different than the RSV. Did not care for the throttle by wire. And motor seemed to be surging when at steady speed.