IGNORED

Change Final Drive Oil

Guest Slab_Ryder

Guest Slab_Ryder

Greetings all

After 122,000 kms, I think I should change the FDO. I did a quick search for the method to do yourself. Anyone have a link or the procedure for doing it and the best oil to use?

Ya think! Should have been done at least three times by now. Very simple procedure. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential and a fill plug about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. I believe it takes a 17mm socket. Remove the top one and then the bottom plug and drain (with a pan under it). Leave alone for ten minutes to get it all down and out. Reinstall the drain plug, put a block of wood (2x4) under the kick stand to level up the bike some, and install 85-90W hypoid gear oil. You only put in enough to bring it up to the bottom thread of the filler hole. You may see some milky oil since it has been so long and wate will get into these since they have a vent. It is not a big deal. Whenever I am on a long ride and hit heavy rain, I change the fluid when I get home.

:farmer:

Ya think! Should have been done at least three times by now. Very simple procedure. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential and a fill plug about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. I believe it takes a 17mm socket. Remove the top one and then the bottom plug and drain (with a pan under it). Leave alone for ten minutes to get it all down and out. Reinstall the drain plug, put a block of wood (2x4) under the kick stand to level up the bike some, and install 85-90W hypoid gear oil. You only put in enough to bring it up to the bottom thread of the filler hole. You may see some milky oil since it has been so long and wate will get into these since they have a vent. It is not a big deal. Whenever I am on a long ride and hit heavy rain, I change the fluid when I get home.

Great Explanation.

Ya think! Should have been done at least three times by now. Very simple procedure. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential and a fill plug about 2/3 of the way up from the bottom. I believe it takes a 17mm socket. Remove the top one and then the bottom plug and drain (with a pan under it). Leave alone for ten minutes to get it all down and out. Reinstall the drain plug, put a block of wood (2x4) under the kick stand to level up the bike some, and install 85-90W hypoid gear oil. You only put in enough to bring it up to the bottom thread of the filler hole. You may see some milky oil since it has been so long and water will get into these since they have a vent. It is not a big deal. Whenever I am on a long ride and hit heavy rain, I change the fluid when I get home.

I change mine every time I change the engine oil. Heck, a bottle of the Wally World pure synthetic gear oil will last at least 4 changes. I also put a butter bean size dollop of Honda Moly in it, each change. :)

Edited by wes0778
Additional info

IMHO you don't need to take the Lt saddlebag off..It's so simple of a job that by the time you get the saddlebag off you could have had the job done..

When you are old and fat it is much easier to taked the bag off than it is to ly down on the ground to remove the drain plug and then try and get back up.:confused24::rotf:

• Haha 1

Lucas gear lube, fully synthetic. Pricey at $12.00 a bottle (75-90 weight I think it is), but a bottle will do several changes. I trust this brand, as I also trust Yamaha engine oil. I also like what Wes said about the butter bean (about a teaspoon full I think) Honda Molly dolop added. Good idea,maybe. I duno ...........

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

a 3 foot long piece of fuel line added to the small tip end of a bottle of hypoid will allow you to snake the hose behind the top of the saddlebag lid into the top of the filler hole and never spill a drop. and yes it is a 17mm wrench, same as engine oil plug.

i change mine at least 2 times every season.. cheap maint..

Guest Slab_Ryder

Thank you everyone! FDO change Complete and Correct. Well, the correct part will be judged on the Day Trip I am leaving for in the morning!

Thanks again!!

When you are old and fat it is much easier to taked the bag off than it is to ly down on the ground to remove the drain plug and then try and get back up.:confused24::rotf:

I think I've got ya covered on that one....I'm 67 years old, soon to be 68, 6'5", 310 lbs...I can get down real easy and give me 5 to 10 mins and I can get up too..So, what's the problem??:whistling:

Edited by bobcat

Which reminds me, I gotta service the '99 final. I was going to do it right before leaving for Wyoming but couldn't get the plug to budge, and it showed slight signs of leaking around the threads. Cross threaded?? So.... rather than force it out and end up with a final with stripped threads, the day before leaving on the trip, I left it alone and hoped it still had enough oil to go the 3000 miles. It did. Now it's been outta sight..outta mind. Gotta get'r done.... Plan on putting a V-Max final in anyway so if it's buggered up I do have a back up.

Which reminds me, I gotta service the '99 final. I was going to do it right before leaving for Wyoming but couldn't get the plug to budge, and it showed slight signs of leaking around the threads. Cross threaded?? So.... rather than force it out and end up with a final with stripped threads, the day before leaving on the trip, I left it alone and hoped it still had enough oil to go the 3000 miles. It did. Now it's been outta sight..outta mind. Gotta get'r done.... Plan on putting a V-Max final in anyway so if it's buggered up I do have a back up.

Condor, with all them horses in the stable, you really do have a back up, Besides the V-max final. Nice twins there in the pictures you have in your profile.

Condor, with all them horses in the stable, you really do have a back up, Besides the V-max final. Nice twins there in the pictures you have in your profile.

Thanks Fuzzy.... unfortunately they're both gone. :( Only one MKI left, and it's really confused. '84 model year, '83 VIN#, and '86 1300 motor. :confused07::confused07::confused07:

• 10 years later...

It's only been 11 year since this post was living and breathing...... so, I'm chiming in too.  I JUST finished and R&R of gear lube in the final drive of my 05 RSV.  The maintenance manual calls for 200ml of 80w gear lube, GL4 or GL5, etc...    200ml is 6.75 Fluid Ounces and I used the genenric Walmart brand of 80w90. Like others, I will change this each oil change too. It's too easy..... espcially with the following set up.

Pictures are a couple of ubiquitous items every maintenance guy should have in his shop.  I found the hosed funnel fits PERFECT from the back and the hose snakes down to the filler perfectly. I mean like it was made for it. And the funnel itself is tipped up enough so you can feed it a little, wait a few seconds, feed it, etc....  Since the FD only required 200ml...... I put 220ml in the Ratio Right and when the flowing stopped, I pull the hose and directed it to the drain pan, and put the plug back.  (By the way, both plugs are 17mm.)  The reason I use 220ml instead of the 200ml is......  I don't have to sit around for an hour allowing every drop to flow into the FD. The moment the majority has flowed in, pull the hose, add the plug and the job is done. I, like others have noted here, is a touch rotund and nearing 60yo and don't want to get up and down and up and down either. :(  You can set this setup up prior to hitting the floor and go down and up ONCE !  You can thank me later. :)

I hope this helps someone.
Pete

• Like 1