IGNORED

Changing Oil, # Of Qrts.

My last two oil changes I noticed that when I use the sight glass as a gauge for how much oil I've added, I can only get three quarts in and it's up to to the Maximum line. And yes, I've checked the level of the garage floor and I'm using a Carbon One Lift adapter. So the question is, is this normal? Is the a second drain plug I didn't read about? Have I been running my bike low on oil all summer?

Thanks

An Oil Change for my '08 Venture is 3.75 litres, or 3.9 Quarts.

Yep, just what Slab_Ryder said.

Are you changing your oil filter ?

Good idea to put your bike information in your profile or signature, that way you do not have to tell everyone every time you post.

I would say that the oil needs to be checked at the glass with the bike sitting on its own wheels. It was designed to be checked that way. Just my 2 cents. The tech library has a good post in there for the fluids and all specs of these bikes also. I did look and made sure this was correct.

Fuzzy

I change my oil the same way you describe, with the stand. Just a hair over 3 qts will bring the sightglass level to about 2/3 up with engine hot. If I even go to 3.5 qts the oil level will be well above the top of the sight glass. These are U.S. quarts, mind you.. I'm assuming you did change out your oil filter?

Sorry, I just can't agree with this. Regardless of what the manual may say, and I honestly don't even remember, if you put 3.9 quarts of oil in these bikes even with a filter change, it is going to be over filled. You don't want it any more than just above half way in the sight glass.

Also, it should NOT be done with the bike on the side stand. If you fill it to the half way mark while it is on the side stand you will be WAY over filled. You want it in the upright position so doing it on the Carbon One lift adapter is perfect.

Just a quick edit here. Allwx and I were apparently typing at the same time. I agree with what he is saying. Just a little over 3 quarts usually brings it to the proper level even with a filter change. I usually add 3 quarts, start it and let it run for 4 or 5 minutes and then add just enough more to bring it just above the center of the sight glass.

When I do my Oil Changes, the Bike is on its Centre Stand

Ya, me too now. Since Ponch and I added the center stand. Makes life easier when changing oil I suppose. Matter of fact I have not used it yet for that. I used the Carbon one lift adapter before.

The last time I used my bike lift, with bike level. But I always put in the recommended oil amount per manual.

I did look the last time, and to the best of my knowledge it was good to the glass level. I noticed a day later when changing antifreeze before I went to Maintenance Day at Freebirds.

But according to Freebird he uses about 3 1/2 U.S. QT sounds like. Is your bike showing level at site glass line or very slightly above as mine ?

I always change the filter when I do an oil change. I have two concerns here. 1. using the sight glass as the gauge and only adding a touch over 3 quarts, is there less that sufficient oil in the engine. 2. if number one is OK, I'm leaving .7 quarts of old oil in the engine every time I change the oil. That can't be good.

That's very odd.. the last three oils changes I've done in the last 30 days had the same results.. I always change my filter when I do an oil change, and let the bike sit a while when it's draining.. Upright to as much of the dirty oil out of the bike as possible..

But with 3.5 bottles, I'm just at the top of the sight glass when checking after starting the engine and letting the fluids settle down again.. (I sit on the bike, hold it level and use an extension mirror to look down at the sight gauge)

I appreciate the fact that the book calls for 3.9q of oil but that would be when it's completely drained (new or rebuilt) cuz every time we do an oil change there is always some left behind oil puddled up inside the engine that doesn't drain out..

Regardless, drain it when its hot so the oil flows easier, top it up to the proper level in the sight glass when the bike is on it's wheels and level.. run it up (to fill the filter), and top it up as or if required..

3.5 qts is the magic number when you also change the filter.

Same here. Just 3.5 qts and the oil just between the half and full line on the sight glass with the bike standing upright.

FWIW, when draining the oil from its side stand, I always stand the bike upright while draining for about 5 minutes. This extra step is worth the 5 minutes. Have fun changing oil. :hihi:

The one thing that no one mentioned.

Yes there is another drain plug.

There is another sump under the tranny and the bottom screw of the middle gear cover, on the left side, is the drain plug for it. If you pull that screw you will get a little more oil out. that screw has a copper crush washer as a gasket that should be replaced after being removed.

So if you want a lot of extra work, then pull the main drain plug with the bike level and drain the oil, remove the filter, then put the bike back on the side stand and pull the gearbox drain screw.

It is only a few oz more oil that you will get out and it is in reality not worth the effort assuming that you are already adhering to a decent maintainance interval. The oil left behind should not be all that bad. If you are changing oil after some problem that caused contaminated oil, like a fried clutch, gas or coolant in the oil, then I would go the extra to drain the gearbox to get as much contaminant out as possible.

How much oil goes back in will depend on if you have the stock filter or an after market spin on, and just how good of a job you did draining. I just aim for the center of the sight glass and that means that the correct amount of oil is in there, however much that might be. For me it is usually around 3.5 US quarts.