Well about 1000 miles into Venture ownership and I have really fallen in love with this bike and this type of bike (Always ridden BMW and Moto Guzzi's). Last couple of times I have gotten back from a ride I notice the smell of gas in my garage. Happens with tank low or just filled up. Can anyone give me any ideas of what to check? Thanks.

When you say "back from a ride and the smell of gas in the garage", does that mean when you open the garage or when you park the bike in the garage? If the smell is in the garage before you put the bike in, then there is either a leak in the fuel system and it is absorbing into the flooring or a fuel storage problem. If it is after the bike is in the garage, you may have a float that is sticking. Try shutting the fuel off and running the bike dry. You show a BMW on you profile, are you asking about it or do you have a RSTD or RSV?

:farmer:

Well about 1000 miles into Venture ownership and I have really fallen in love with this bike and this type of bike (Always ridden BMW and Moto Guzzi's). Last couple of times I have gotten back from a ride I notice the smell of gas in my garage. Happens with tank low or just filled up. Can anyone give me any ideas of what to check? Thanks.
You have not told us what bike you have or how old it is, so all I can do it give you a generic statement that may or may not apply to you.

This problem is relatively common on 2nd gen bikes. While there could be any number of things causing it (such as an obvious fuel leak). usually it is because the floats are too high. Although I do not have a clue as to why, every single one of these engines comes from the factory with the floats set WAY above the spec, which contributes to the amount of fumes that come out the carb vents. Resetting the floats correctly almost always gets rid of the gas smell while sitting.

There is a lot of work involved in pulling the carbs, but it is not particular difficult. If that applies to you, the information is in the tech library and in many older threads in these forums.

Goose

You have a gas leak in the garage somewhere.... :confused07:

On a hot day, with tank full or near full, it is typical for some fuel to be forced thru the overflow line and drip out just aft of the kickstand. And, the tank doesn't have to be full. Anything over around a half tank of fuel, and some of it will dribble out the overflow line when things heat up, such as after a ride, or the bike sitting parked in the sunshine. The fuel dripping onto the floor should be noticeable to you, though. It isn't enough to be of concern, though I've often wondered why Yam allowed this to happen. Seems more appropriate to bikes from the 1930 era. Still, nothing to worry about.

On a hot day, with tank full or near full, it is typical for some fuel to be forced thru the overflow line and drip out just aft of the kickstand. And, the tank doesn't have to be full. Anything over around a half tank of fuel, and some of it will dribble out the overflow line when things heat up, such as after a ride, or the bike sitting parked in the sunshine. The fuel dripping onto the floor should be noticeable to you, though. It isn't enough to be of concern, though I've often wondered why Yam allowed this to happen. Seems more appropriate to bikes from the 1930 era. Still, nothing to worry about.

Mine doesn't do that... I wonder why???

This statement needs some clarification. the only time liquid fuel will be forced through the overflow tube is when the tank is filled above the bottom of the filler neck and then left to heat up so the fuel can expand.

On some fairly rare occasions you can get the occasional drip from the overflow hose when the tank is not completely full, but it is not from liquid fuel being forced out.

When your bike is parked in the sun and there is a gentle cross breeze, if you look closely at the end of the drain hose, you will see lots of gas FUMES billowing out. These fumes are being carried out with the expanding air that is being heated by the sun on the tank. If the drain hose is still slightly cooler than the surrounding air, such as it would be around mid-morning after sitting all night, then some of those fumes will condense inside the drain tube just like moisture does on the outside of a cold glass. That condensed fuel will create the occasional drip from the drain tube, but the conditions must be just right. The bike must still be somewhat cooler than the surrounding air AND the tank must be heating quickly from the direct glare of strong sunlight. Once the fuel and air inside the tank has completely heated up, there won't be much air/fumes blowing through the vent, or when the drain tube is no longer cool enough to cause the condensation, the dripping will stop.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Very true. I saw (until I retired, yuck yuck) this almost every day at work. Because I had to be at work at 0600 the bike would be nice and cool by the time the sun got high enough to make heat. Sun comes up, heats the tank, etc. Under these conditions, mine will drip a silver dollar size mark under the tube every day, almost without fail, even with the tank closer to half full than full. I have observed the fumes both with and without condensation of fuel drops.

Two days ago I rode 120 miles, topped off my tank up to the tank flange, parked the bike in my driveway, and an hour later had that silver dollar size mark under the tube. The bike was already quite hot all over, but the fuel I'd just put in was cool.

Thanks for that explanation, now I know the why. But it still seems like a crude set up to me. this is the only bike I've noticed this on. I'd think the EPA would have made them close up the system better. Maybe they do in CA.

Thanks guys. I have checked everything you guys mentioned, and no I do not have any leaks elsewhere in the garage. After riding this past weekend I no longer smell the gas. It has been pretty hot here in central Florida. Will keep an eye on things and report back if it comes back. Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

The smell of gas has returned. It only happens after I go for a ride, makes no difference if its a 100 mile ride or a 5 mile ride. I can even smell it when riding at slow speed. Yes the gas cap is tight, is there a drain hose I am not aware of? I do not hava a manual yet. Thanks.